Back
  METAL pet peeves?

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:55 am 

Following on from the successful "Pet peeves" thread in the off-topic forum, what are your METAL pet peeves?

One of mine to set the ball rolling: metal festivals having "curators". It just sounds so pretentious yet twee at the same. Exhibitions have curators, not metal festivals. Of course, the paroxysms of fanboyism that curators unleash are also very annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:59 am 

Last edited by Hellvomit on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Is So Good That Who Mod It Doesn't Post Here
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 pm 

Ah Pio, we've had that one already.

This thread? Couldn't find it in a search...

Paddy's one is a retread too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:02 pm 

People who don't know how to conduct themselves at gigs...especially up the front...idiots one and all!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 pm 

Last edited by Hellvomit on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 pm 

My greatest Metal pet peeve is how it seems that people just gobble up what's in the magazines and the more mainstream Metal bands (of all genres) while ignoring a whole world of often much better and more interesting music in the underground. No, I'm sorry, Amon Amarth, Suffocation or Cannibal Corpse are not the be all and end all of Death Metal. Another peeve would be the absolute fragmenting of Metal into micro genres within the Metal scene to the point where some things are hip and cool to like yet others are portrayed as anachronistic and embarrassing. Sometimes I think that this fragmentation has more to do with slowing album sales than downloading.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm 

Nah, Padre, I was just being bitchy Crow. I am sure both yourself and Donal have waxed hateful about silly "curator" themed festivals.

Darragh, I get the first part of your point. I would include the likes of Dimmu Borgir, Zyklon and bands of that ilk in there too.

However, I am slightly confused by your second point. Care to elaborate a bit or give a concrete example?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm 

Hellvomit wrote:
DesTheKingOfTawny wrote:
People who don't know how to conduct themselves at gigs...especially up the front...idiots one and all!!!

I pulled my pants down at the front while Pentacle were playing in Nuremberg years ago for a dare so I resent your comment. Although that's probably not the type of conduct you're referring to.

HaHa....naw Im thinking more in the line of people pushing up the front, moshing and crowd surfing at gigs where its not appropriate for the type of band thats playing, throwing stuff at the band etc etc....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:13 pm 

- Metal band members calling their music 'rock' - certain Iron Maiden members I'm looking at you.

- Metal bands that denied they were metal anymore and then crawled back, e.g. Metallica, Paradise Lost.

- Anything longer than 2/3 seconds for hidden bonus tracks to kick in.

- Crappy live or demo songs tagged to the ends of albums.

- Temporary uniting bands to make money through gigs e.g. Godlfesh.

- Badly receding hairlines in long haired musicians - shave it off or cut it short!!

- Albums were the style of the artwork doesn't gel with the style of music.

- People who call themselves fans of certain bands but have illegally downloaded all their music without seeing a problem.

- Although the phase is probably gone; idiots who've never heard a song heavier than Coldplay in their life wearing Motorhead etc t-shirts.

- The millions of normal folk that think Metallica are somehow the only good metal band on the planet while never hearing an album by any other metal band.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:16 pm 

People who don't give time for warm up acts at gigs......
People who stand at the edge of a pit with the pint in hand and you get pushed up against them by accident and they look at ya as if they're gonna hit ya!

And Leather Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:17 pm 

Bands refusing to their fans as "kids". I saw an interview with Rod Smallwood there where he was saying kids this, kids that. There are Maiden fans in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, probably older. Are we all "kids"? FUCK OFF!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:26 pm 

Lack of coloured metal t shirts. I just personally like being a little more colourful sometimes, also its a bitch wearing black when the sun is out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:26 pm 

Padre Pio wrote:
Bands refusing to their fans as "kids". I saw an interview with Rod Smallwood there where he was saying kids this, kids that. There are Maiden fans in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, probably older. Are we all "kids"? FUCK OFF!!!

And this one! I do find Maiden one of the most guilty of it. It kinda makes me think, 'hold on, they're right, I ain't a kid anymore, I must dump their CDs and buy Mozart CDs instead'.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next