Back
  METAL pet peeves?

Page: Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am 

Also band photos where the band members have been photoshopped in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:01 am 

brianwilliams82 wrote:
Also band photos where the band members have been photoshopped in.

well spotted!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 am 

Not really a 'metal' pet peeve but I'm not really sure how or when 'Hardcore' stopped being a sub-genre of punk rock and became shitty bro/nu-metal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:49 pm 

the cry of mankind-my dying bride
the last few minutes of practically nothing at the end.
fucking wrecks my head. it totally ruins the flow of the album.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 pm 

I disagree. For me, it's a nice coda to the song itself and sets up From Darkest Skies perfectly. But that's just my take on it.

If you want to talk abouy ruining the flow of an album, I present for your consideration the intros on Necroticism. Apart from the first one which is a decent intro to the album, they slow it down too much. I ripped it and cut them out, it works much better without them IMO. Ditto the 'Krang' intros on Resurrection's Embalmed Existence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:15 am 

Those intros on Necroticism always wrecked my head. See also - Testimony of the Ancients. I think there's only two songs sitting together on the entire album as there's a fucking interlude between each one!

Even listening on CD is a ballache.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:02 am 

The Necroticism intros are great. It's one of the things that got me into The Berzerker as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:04 am 

blessed1 wrote:
the cry of mankind-my dying bride
the last few minutes of practically nothing at the end.

Similar, but for me the ending is ruined by the fog horn always sounding like an elephant fart.

On a related theme, albums containing very jarring cover songs. Megadeth's first three albums, I'm looking at you. Also, short instrumental interludes that should really be considered as the intro to a track e.g. the Hellion. Although it wasn't an issue for me in cassette days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 am 

Quote:
On a related theme, albums containing very jarring cover songs

With you on that one. Dissident Aggressor stands out like a sore thumb on South of Heaven. Many other examples too.

Roadrunners were tossposts for having bands cover 80's tunes in the late 90's Early 2000's. Cradle of Filth's version of Temptation anyone?

Megadeth covering A Tout Le Monde with Christina Scabbia is another example.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 am 

I like Slayer's Dissident Aggressor but I'm with you on the Megadeth covers. Their covers are generally shite anyway, No More Mr. Nice Guy being the exception. Their version of Paranoid is one of the worst things I've ever heard and as for Cold Sweat? Jaysus...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 am 

in fairness though, the way he digs into the distorted palm-mutes in the second verse of that cover is class, completely lifts the whole thing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:13 am 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
I like Slayer's Dissident Aggressor but I'm with you on the Megadeth covers. Their covers are generally shite anyway, No More Mr. Nice Guy being the exception. Their version of Paranoid is one of the worst things I've ever heard and as for Cold Sweat? Jaysus...

Yeah, "I Ain't Superstitious" and "Anarchy In The UK" pollute the otherwise great albums they appear on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:59 am 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
With you on that one. Dissident Aggressor stands out like a sore thumb on South of Heaven. Many other examples too.

Megadeth covering A Tout Le Monde with Christina Scabbia is another example.

Dissident Aggressor was another of my prime examples. It's a great song but it doesn't sit well with the others on SoH.

Thankfully, I almost exclusively listen to music via my ipod so it makes removing A Tout Le Monde and shitty bonus or live tracks on CDs easy.

Also, CDs with bonus tracks after 4 minutes of silence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:24 am 

As it is festival season
1. people in wacky costumes,
2.wankers that want to stand and be charming to the bar staff whilst i wait for beer in the searing heat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:51 am 

It was years before I found out Dissident Aggressor was a cover. It was, and remains, one of my favourite things about SOH. It was only during the mid-90's that I found out it was a JP song :lol:

Versions of albums. Deluxe version, tour edition, expanded edition, all these things have got to go. An album used to be a cohesive piece of work, the songs carefully selected and the running order decided on to provide the definitive listening experience of the artist's body of work. Give me your best 8 to 10 songs in good order and put the rest in the bin. If it's not good enough to be on the album then it's not good enough to be on the album, even if you write "(bonus track)" beside it. I want the best album possible, not your best tracks followed by some not-so-good tracks. Enough of versions. Just give me the album.

Page: Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next