Back
  Tornado Of Souls question

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:58 pm 

I'm not a Megadeth historian or anything, but I do wonder - why does Tornado Of Souls sounds so different from everything else on RIP?

It's almost as if it came from a totally different recording session and Mustaine sounds so much younger or something. Its as if a japanese cover band were covering Megadeth.

Of course it could have been just a stylistic choice for that specific song, but it really does stick out. What gives?

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:07 pm 

It stands out 'cos it's the best song on the album.

I've noticed a shift myself, but wrote it off as an intentional part of the album's dynamic: it always seemed to my ears that RIP... Polaris ran on with the same baton.

More than happy to stick the album on right now and get back to you though!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:19 pm 

Do - it's not even nuanced, its a mega difference in sound and approach, I think. Perhaps not the guitars and drums as such, just the tenor of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:23 pm 

Never really noticed, just thought it was the most catchiest song on the album so i stood out in that respect.

Also Holy Wars is the best song :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:24 pm 

Only tidbit I can give is that I've read before that the solo was completely improvised on the spot.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:29 pm 

Amazing song. Never thought it sounded that different, just thought it was the best song on there.

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:47 pm 

Listened through to the whole album, then A->B'ed a couple of times between Lucretia and it, then Polaris and it... the rhythm guitar sound in the intro is a bit tighter, a bit more compressed, but nothing else making it stick out of place. Gathering other opinions though - this is fun.

I suggest you imagine a similar problem on Individual Thought Patterns next :P

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:07 pm 

Pretty sure Mustaine said it was the first track* he wrote when entering re-hab in '89, so it's very reflective of that peculiar time/transition.

Quote:
just thought it was the most catchiest song on the album so i stood out in that respect.

Agreed, its certainly when the "popier" aspect of Mustaines' writing crept in - It's just so immediate, catchy and perfect... the lead is sublime - should have been first single from the album!

*Though not the first track for the session - "Holy Wars..." was written days after their 1988 Antrim forum gig, somewhere in England.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:14 pm 

Deevolution wrote:
Pretty sure Mustaine said it was the first track* he wrote when entering re-hab in '89, so it's very reflective of that peculiar time/transition.

Quote:
just thought it was the most catchiest song on the album so i stood out in that respect.

Agreed, its certainly when the "popier" aspect of Mustaines' writing crept in - It's just so immediate, catchy and perfect... the lead is sublime - should have been first single from the album!

*Though not the first track for the session - "Holy Wars..." was written days after their 1988 Antrim forum gig, somewhere in England.

Yeah, the lead work is fantastic and demonstrates how well Friedman, and his very unique sound, gelled with the band.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:27 pm 

More the vox than anything really. So different to the rest.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:32 pm 

Just listened to it and flicked through a few of the songs on the album to hear something i figured i had missed. Don't see the vocal difference at all really. He sings like that on Lucretia just before it. An absolute cracking song anyways!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:37 pm 

I love at the very end (last minute or so) they bust out another riff variation just when you thought they couldn't have put anything else into the song to make it more killer.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:10 pm 

Are you listening to the remaster? He redid vocals on some of the songs.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:09 pm 

DaveG wrote:
Are you listening to the remaster? He redid vocals on some of the songs.

I'd question the sanity of anyone who could justify listening to the remaster, completely ruins the album.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:08 pm 

Was always my favourite song on that amazing album. The solo is unparalleled.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next