Back
  Tornado Of Souls question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:19 pm 

It's the rhythm parts, they are a bit more straightforward and less technical than some of the other songs on the rest of the album. Doesn't stop it being one of the best songs on the album.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:31 pm 

That lead.. god almighty it's just wonderful

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:42 pm 

Just an untouchable album. Certainly their finest moment and, indeed, one of metal's finest too.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:51 am 

All that's good about metal encapsulated in one song (& solo!) :twisted:

As for the remaster, there's nothing really wrong with it. Different snare sound maybe but still quality. Some of the vocals he changed probably less so but no big deal.

I actually always preferred SFSGSW to Peace Sells...

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:12 pm 

Tornado Of Souls sounds different to me when it comes on as it's the first sign of an interesting riff on the album after four songs of complete dullness.

Rust In Peace starts and ends brilliantly, but to my ears the whole middle section of the record is dead in the water. No interesting songs, solos, riffs, anything. Just complete boredom.

I noticed this when I first got the album and expected the middle section to grow on me. It never did.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:20 pm 

The songs in the middle of the album might not be as unique as songs like Holy Wars/Hangar 18/Tornado/RIP but they're still great. It's my favourite Megadeth album by far, to be honest this, Peace Sells and Countdown are the only ones I bother with, I love Megadeth, but those are the only consistently great albums, in my opinion, obviously.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:41 pm 

Ah lads! What about Five Magics? Creepy bass intro with the middle Eastern-sounding guitar line, the vocal, solo, vocal, solo section, then it goes into a weird off time riff with more crazy soloing, then the fist pumping vocal section, you think the song is done but then it breaks out that warp speed riff with another beast of a solo!

Poison was the Cure sounds like a Killing Is my Business throwback, then ends on a solo they could only dream of pulling out in 1985.

Lucretia has that bright, almost chiming main riff and it's practically a hard rock song. Then it breaks into that lovely melodic riff and probably my favourite Friedman solo.

If anything, for me the middle of the album really elevates it as they could have played it safe and just repeated the first two tracks, but did something different.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:28 pm 

I even love Dawn Patrol!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:18 pm 

Bought rust in peace on release day all those years ago. Remember being stunned on first listen. By the time i got to the b-side i knew this album was something special. Tornado never seemed out of character to me, just a classic with more conventional hooks than most of the other tracks on the album. A straight up rocker so to speak. As mentioned, the leads, hooks and melody were instantly apparent.

In the context of the rest of the album, it worked, for me anyway. Although it is still a favourite, lucretia, take no prisoners and 5 magics always ranked slightly higher for me.

A timeless classic that will always be Mustaines legacy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:31 pm 

I have listened to RiP incessantly since I was about 14 and think I know the album backwards. But I would go as far too say that the trio of Poison Was the Cure, Lucretia and Tornado of Souls are slightly out of context with the rest album. Is this a coincidence that these are the tracks written with Ellefson?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:34 pm 

When we were teenagers my mates were always talking about how when Friedman joined Megadeth before RIP, Mustaine had already written a lot of them solos and had to teach Friedman how not only how to play them but also reach his level of technique and that Friedman needed to work his ass off to make the grade. I've read Jeff Young saying he went through a similar initiation and that he was practising mad hours of the day to get up to speed. Anyone read any old articles to this effect?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

Unless Dave wrote the solos for Dragon's Kiss and the two Cacophony albums too, it's clearly absolute bullshit. Friedman's singular technique, vibrato and note choice pre-dates his time with Megadeth. This can also be applied to Young and Poland too.

The only aspect of their playing they may have had to work on is their rhythm playing. Thrash is fucking hard to play well with the tightness required and, to be fair, Dave is up with the best of them in that regard. He certainly recorded all the rhythm guitars on RIP but Friedman, without a shadow of doubt, wrote his own leads.

Edit - and here is Jeff Young's take on it

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... _hour.html
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... _grow.html
http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... wsid=51618

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:01 pm 

How many of the solos were Polands? Its known he demoed alot of the tracks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:51 pm 

I'm a big fan of Dragon's Kiss. I reckon Marty is one of the tastiest guitar players that has ever graced metal. They did their best work with him and Nick onboard. I think the getting up to speed was probably related to the riffing alright. Mustaine an animal in that department in fairness. What him and Hetfield must have sounded like together I can only imagine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 am 

'Go To Hell' was recorded around the same time as RIP.
With a touch more attention I reckon it could have easily sat well on the album in place of any of the lesser songs, or even as part of the set even.

I love the solo dualing on it. Nothing outstanding, but loved it back when I first heard the song and watched the music video for it.

Still one of my favourite Megadeth tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7pqj8Be8kU&feature=youtu.be

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next