Back
  One Album You Listened to Today
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 136  Next

North from here, running amok amongst the shadows of the past
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:23 pm 

So basically flag up something, any era, any genre, good, bad or ugly, whatever. Say something about it, give it a rating if you're so inclined. Classics, hidden gems, newbies, shoot up one. Look I don't get out much alright.

I'll kick off with:

CROWN (Fra.) - Natron Candlelight 2015

Not as all out devastating as 2013's 'Psychurgy' but an interesting listen nonetheless, definitely a band looking to broaden their horizons. What about that A-ha-esque track they dropped slap bang into the middle of it? After the initial surprise it makes for a timely shelter between the glacial sized riffs hammering down on you from either side.
It's probably going to fall short of my end of year top 10 but a fine follow up to the debut full length, I reckon a 7/10.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:35 pm 

Guess this could be a place where some albums, while good, wouldn't fall into the 'From the vaults' category. Been listening to this the past week and definitely true of this album ->

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings (1995)

Released 20 years ago, Burnt Offering is one of, if not the darkest of Iced Earths output. This album was the bands third and with it came their third drummer and singer. Band was close to breaking up around this time but managed to release a pretty great (not brilliant) album.

The album starts off extremely strong with the title track and 'Last December' shows off Matt Barlows impressive vocals. Album ends on the very ambitious sixteen minute epic "Dante's Inferno" and has to be one of Iced Earths best songs.

Unfortunately the album suffers with the middle tracks meandering without the sense of urgency and instilled darkness the songs mentioned above had which is a pity because it had such potential to be the number one Iced Earth album to go to. At any rate, it's one of my "Winter" albums to go to around this time of year.

6.5/10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:52 pm 

KRIEGSMASCHINE - "Enemy Of Man"

No ratings whatsoever, just sayin', that this is superior to MGLA's 2 latest, much raved about outputs in every fucking way! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:52 pm 

Vanilla Fudge ST. All l can say currently is that l bellowed "You keep me hanging on" out 4 times in a row in traffic today, and a few times last night too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:31 pm 

Opolus wrote:
KRIEGSMASCHINE - "Enemy Of Man"

No ratings whatsoever, just sayin', that this is superior to MGLA's 2 latest, much raved about outputs in every fucking way! :twisted:

I love this album, its amazing but I'd be inclined to disagree. I'm also going to listen to it again right now. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:38 pm 

Skunk Anansie - Post Orgasmic Chill

Classic album. Full of awesome riffs and Skin's voice is just devine! One of my greatest albums of all time for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:01 pm 

lou monte "dominick the donkey" only about 60times so far.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:20 pm 

Dread sovereign - all hells martyrs (2014)

First full length from DS, after the fantastic three track ep 'pray to the devil in man'. Most people here will be familiar enough with them and this release as it's fairly fresh off the belt. It's an album that has revealed itself more and more with each Listn. Highlights for me are 'spear of longinus' and '13 clergy'. Another jewel in van records well studded crown. Get it into ya.

8/10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:56 pm 

Choking - S/T

Blackened death/doom that I found on a list on Cvlt Nation the other day. Have had it on constantly since. Just can't get enough of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:13 pm 

open face surgery wrote:
Blackened death/doom that I found on a list on Cvlt Nation the other day.

Been checking out some of the stuff on their lists the last few days, some really good recommendations, choking are savage, wiegedood are another one ive been really enjoying. good to see Malthusian mentioned by them as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:20 pm 

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:35 pm 

Buckcherry Rock and Roll.
Solid album not as instant as their other out put. But a real grower all the same.
7.5/10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:24 pm 

Audrey Fall- mitau

Don't be put off by the name for a start. This album was released in 2013 I think. It comes from the post rock /metal genre.it's flawless in my eyes. The sheer power, hooks and melodies make this a cracker. Can't say anymore really, just check it out.

9/10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:11 am 

pentecost7 wrote:
Audrey Fall- mitau

9/10

Threw this on for an aul gander. Listened to the end, feckin crackin stuff.

Even with the wine, I reckon 57 mins is a bit much, however. I find in this genre, bands don't need to put 10-12 tracks on an album just because that's the relative norm. That being said, I couldn't really find fault on first listen.

Went to buy a CD but no joy though. Drat!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:59 am 

Yea, tried for hard copy too on bandcamp . They don't seem to be together anymore either , which is a pity

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 136  Next