Back
  Gigs you wish you'd seen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:22 pm 

jonrhine wrote:
Apart from ones I was too young to go to, Metallica in 96 was my 1st gig, the biggest one is the Pantera show that was cancelled because of 9/11. Loved Pantera and never got to see them live.

have to agree with that, Wasn't it Slayer, Pantera, Cradle of Filth? Was going to head to that.

Black Shepherd Carnage wrote:
Would love if my first time seeing Metallica had been in 1996 rather than whenever it was... 1999?

1999 was my first Metallica gig, incredible setlist. What didn't you like?

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:33 pm 

I enjoyed it. I just think that a bit younger (had I been 15 rather than 18), and on an earlier tour (Load rather than Garage Days), would have been a more memorable night of it. It's also the general impression I get from people my age who did go to both, that the first one was better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:36 pm 

deeeznuuuts wrote:
jonrhine wrote:
Apart from ones I was too young to go to, Metallica in 96 was my 1st gig, the biggest one is the Pantera show that was cancelled because of 9/11. Loved Pantera and never got to see them live.

have to agree with that, Wasn't it Slayer, Pantera, Cradle of Filth? Was going to head to that.

Tattoo The Planet. I think every metaller in Limerick had a ticket to go to that show.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:29 pm 

Yeah Tattoo the planet,it was just a day on the piss more than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:41 pm 

Yeah I went for the refund myself when I found out Pantera and Vision of Disorder weren't playing it. Very disappointing for a lot of young fans but the bands pulling out was obviously understandabLe given the circumstances. HOWEVER, I later discovered that Pantera had already been in Ireland in the days leading up to it yet cancelled anyway, despite Biohazard being FROM NYC and getting over to play it anyway..? What the fuck was that shit?

Last edited by Snatchgrabber on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:57 pm 

Never got to see Cursed, since they were never booked to play here & the one time I went to England to see em, yep, they cancelled that tour & broke up shortly after. :evil:
Botch & Dillinger escape plan in uk, year or so before Dillinger came over here with Nasum.
Tad & Therapy in 92 I think? Saw posters for it in an old rehersal space.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm 

Tattoo the planet was a decent enough evening.

Superskin were bollocks. They must've gotten a slot on every metal gig over a two year period round that time.

Really enjoyed Biohazard. Cradle were a bit sloppy but Slayer were reliable as ever. Some serious pits at that show. Also fair fucks to them for continuing the tour and rescheduling the date. Pantera are a bunch of fannys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:02 pm 

Nevermore in Whelans around 2005, was huge into them at the time but got horribly sick the day before and couldn't make it. Eventually saw them years later but it was at a festival and they're never as good. Still hoping they'll get back together and touring again at some point

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

I remember the show being cancelled and then being on again only to be cancelled again, I could be mistaken. I did read in Rex Brown's book though that they had to have all the PA and gear set up as if the gig was definitely going to go ahead or else they wouldn't be able to claim the insurance or some such, so that might be where the on again off again thing came from.

Another one was Ozzfest where Ozzy cancelled and we didn't find out til we got there, that was a load of bollocks and I wasn't enamoured with Tool playing for what seemed like 10 hours straight.

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:40 pm 

prof. wedgie wrote:
Nevermore in Whelans around 2005, was huge into them at the time but got horribly sick the day before and couldn't make it. Eventually saw them years later but it was at a festival and they're never as good. Still hoping they'll get back together and touring again at some point

Is that the show where they were a guitarist down though?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:20 pm 

Been lucky and prob done everything I've wanted to from gig going age, caught a load of gigs/ tours in this thread.

Only shows I missed that spring to mind:

Roadburn the year goatnake played and the Icelandic volcano ment I couldn't get out (though managed to catch them a few years later in London).

Wish I'd headed over to the states with Baggy, Corrupted and Doomsmoker for the emissions from the monolith fest. Still can't remember why I didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 am 

jonrhine wrote:
Ozzfest where Ozzy cancelled and we didn't find out til we got there, that was a load of bollocks and I wasn't enamoured with Tool playing for what seemed like 10 hours straight.

I was actually delighted with that. I wouldn't have minded seeing Ozzy but an extra long Tool set was a lot higher on my list of wants.

Tattoo the Planet was some fucking cunt when Pantera cancelled. I got the refund I was so sickened.

Also would have loved to see Devin Townsend and GODFLESH in the Ambassador. I only found out about it a week later. Still feel scalded about that one. Have the bootleg of the GODFLESH set and it sounds brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:16 am 

Despite trying to forget, I recall also missing g Keelhaul and Knut's Dublin gig (free at the last minute iirc) for some bullshit reason. Same with Voivod recently. Christ I'm useless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:05 am 

astfgyl wrote:
Also would have loved to see Devin Townsend and GODFLESH in the Ambassador. I only found out about it a week later. Still feel scalded about that one. Have the bootleg of the GODFLESH set and it sounds brilliant.

Good gig, bar, next to noone being at it. Say the promoters took a big hit with that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 am 

spoderman01 wrote:
Back in the day could have seen SYL in London but stayed drinking in the Intrepid Fox. Got properly into them a while later but never got to see them so been kicking myself ever since.

Loved the intrepid fox

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next