Back
  Gigs you wish you'd seen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am 

Paul keohane wrote:
Obituary Nancy Spains Cork 91

All these gigs were before my time,i love chatting to lads that were at these.

I was of an age to hit this but chose not to - what a fucking idiot! Wasn't long into death metal and thought Cause of Death was too slow. Have regretted the decision for years!

Behemoth in Nancy's was great.

I don't have a good history with Nile:
The played Eamonn Doran's (I think) in 2002 (I think) - didn't hear about it until after.
The 'played' The Shelter with Behemoth in - 1999? - arrived at the door (having travelled from Cork) to find it cancelled due to ferry not running.
Another Dublin gig 05-ish I couldn't go.
Saw them headline a day long thing in Koko in London 07-ish. Nipped out of venue for a break during the band preceding them - only we got the schedule mixed up and they actually played then - arrived back to the venue to find them wrapping up the encore!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:59 am 

In '94 was offered a lift from Wales to London for a Kyuss show (the Underworld of I remember correctly).
I would have been on the guest list and only hand to split the patrol cost with the driver.. I didn't go, just couldn't be arsed with the travel.. that one haunts me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:26 pm 

Never got to see Motorhead which is something Ill regret for the rest of my days- not even sure why because they played here frequently enough until recently

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 pm 

makeshift atomsmasher wrote:
astfgyl wrote:
Also would have loved to see Devin Townsend and GODFLESH in the Ambassador. I only found out about it a week later. Still feel scalded about that one. Have the bootleg of the GODFLESH set and it sounds brilliant.

Good gig, bar, next to noone being at it. Say the promoters took a big hit with that one.

Would have loved to have hit this. I had no idea it was on, was big into SYL at the time but only picked up my first Devin solo album the week after that gig. Gutted :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:03 pm 

The Ancient Ones wrote:
Paul keohane wrote:
Obituary Nancy Spains Cork 91

All these gigs were before my time,i love chatting to lads that were at these.

I was of an age to hit this but chose not to - what a fucking idiot! Wasn't long into death metal and thought Cause of Death was too slow. Have regretted the decision for years!

Behemoth in Nancy's was great.

I don't have a good history with Nile:
The played Eamonn Doran's (I think) in 2002 (I think) - didn't hear about it until after.
The 'played' The Shelter with Behemoth in - 1999? - arrived at the door (having travelled from Cork) to find it cancelled due to ferry not running.
Another Dublin gig 05-ish I couldn't go.
Saw them headline a day long thing in Koko in London 07-ish. Nipped out of venue for a break during the band preceding them - only we got the schedule mixed up and they actually played then - arrived back to the venue to find them wrapping up the encore!

Jesus id be sick if I was you ha!,we've all made piss poor decisions that we regret with regard to gigs.
Nile played Dorans early 2001,a few of us travelled up to the cancelled gig with Behemoth too,think it was 2002?,Ended up on the lash in Dublin on a manky Monday night!.I was a massive fan of both bands at the time so I was sick it got cancelled,a pretty tasty time to see both bands too,both touring great albums.Caught Behemoth a few months later in Paris,so all was not lost.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:38 pm 

Seen pretty much most acts I've wanted to see (having begun to go to gigs from around '94) but there are still some I missed. Type O in the SFX as some have already mentioned, and I was big into 'October Rust' at the time. Never seen Motorhead either which bothers me a great deal, was always out of the country for some reason when they played. Nearly saw Danzig in Europe in '94 but it ended up being cancelled (seems typical of Danzig). Most of the concerts I never saw were in the Top Hat. The Top Hat for some younger readers was a venue in Dun Laoghaire near the Seapoint dart station, it's an apartment complex now. Was too young to see Metallica in the Top Hat, Faith no More in the Top Hat (although I did get to see them in Italy in '95), fairly sure Nirvana played the Top Hat as well, probably to a small audience (?). Can anyone share their experiences of more Top Hat gigs?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:57 pm 

The Top Hat was a shit venue but many great gigs were held there. It used to be a roller skating rink, I think. It didn't have a licence for booze that I recall so all gigs were all-ages. I'd have missed some amazing gigs were it different. Starting in 1988 I saw... in order... Nuclear Assault, Slayer, Danzig, Metallica, Slammer, Crumbsuckers, Onslaught, Zed Yago, WASP, MOD, Suicidal Tendencies, Predator, Anthrax, Prong, Faith No More, Dreamcreeper (possibly, they were shit whoever they were and not suitable to support ->), Sepultura, Chuck-less Death, Kreator. I think that was it for me. I missed Ozzy and Yngwie gigs there which were supposed to be class, but no-one ever says the old gigs were shit, eh?

Nirvana supported Sonic Youth there, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 pm 

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the all ages thing but was not allowed to see these concerts by my dearly concerned parents, especially in '88 seeing as I was 9 or 10 years of age at the time. Know a few who saw Metallica there with Danzig on the 'Justice' tour..ahh, I'll always have the concert I taped off 'Arena' on BBC at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm 

Why did metal gigs used to be out there then? No venue of that capacity in the city centre?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:03 pm 

No idea. It was around the same size as the Olympic Ballroom, which was just off Wexford Street, and the SFX, I think. The Olympic Ballroom got torn down and the site redeveloped in the late 80's I think. The SFX was used before and after the Top Hat, I don't recall any gigs there while they used the Top Hat. The first gig I remember going to in the SFX was Pantera & Gruntruck in 92 or 93.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:00 pm 

What is the SFX now?,apartments?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:51 pm 

Roger Waters doing 'Dark Side of the Moon' down in the marquee. Sickened

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:37 am 

Bowie at the Point in 2003. Way was clear for me to head, dunno why I didn't.

Didn't Death pay here on the Human tour? I'd give several vital organs to have seen that, Human being my favourite record ever recorded, Reinert being my fave drummer and Chuck being Chuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:05 am 

Yep, in McGonagles. Got one of Reinert's sticks at that one. Sorry :D

Though I was very close to getting stabbed afterwards if thst makes you feel any better

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 am 

Death in Dublin on Human... (though i saw them in 95 thankfully)
Type O in the SFX (saw them in Brixton the same year)
Paradise Lost in Nancys back in the day
Dissection/AtG in London
Metallica at the Top Hat in 88
Maiden at Hammersmith (think live after death era)

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next