Back
  Most difficult bands to get into
Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:52 pm 

I've been looking a bit more into Deathspell Omega since their last release, revisiting Drought, and giving the latest Portal another spin. Both in their own way made me think about how far I've pushed my own personal boundaries in regards to taste as the years went on, at one stage thinking Psyopus would be as far as it went (in regards to extremity). Sunn 0))) live was something I'll probably never hear again because it was more an "experience" encompassing their presentation as well as the drones, as opposed to just a band playing tunes.

Probably without saying some of the material from anywhere in above's catalogue is at times verging on uncomfortable, but with intention, and not with carelessness or lack of ability. "Glumurphonel" as an opener is definitely one way to kick things off, as an example.

So with that, are there any other recommendations anyone would have that once you break through the first few listens, you find out what they are on about, and that they haven't simply shat on a CD and called it music?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:15 pm 

http://www.metalireland.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67561

Having said that, I got straight into this lad, who might be described as difficult.

3 or 4 listens in and I'm none the wiser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 pm 

For me personally its black metal- no doubt the musicianship can often be top notch but theres too much happening on a lot of the older stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 am 

Not the band overall, but the first 30 or so times I heard Gorgut's "Obscura" it sounded like an impenetrable mess of anti-music.

One of my all time favourite records now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 am 

Ulcerate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 am 

The posts so far are about highly technical bands but the first one that comes into my head is completely different, namely Urfaust.

When it came out, a Dutch lad I know gave me a copy of "Geist ist Teufel". The first time I listened to it I thought it was total nonsensical crap: the extremely thin guitar sound, the overall amateurish sound, the caterwauling vocals, the weird simplistic and repetitive riffs, the rural barn-dance feel of some tracks, etc. However, there was something about the album that kept dragging me back and I'd listen to it even without really enjoying it. Over time, however, I started to really love the album and 12 years on it's still among my favourites of the 2000s and, except for a couple of overly ambient EPs, I've been a fan of the majority of the band's work ever since.

Here are a couple of tracks for people who don't know the album/band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjHaJq1BTQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf78mANX0Js

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 am 

Poison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:55 am 

Eliminator wrote:
Ulcerate

I was hooked the first time I heard them, granted I really like that type of thing anyway.
@padre funnily enough I use Urfaust as a way of getting people into black metal. It works

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 am 

They're not the easiest to get into but Deathspell Omega are remarkably easy to get out of.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:10 pm 

dr.gonzo wrote:
@padre funnily enough I use Urfaust as a way of getting people into black metal. It works

Geist Ist Teufel though?

@pentagrimes

Hahaha, agreed. Zero interest in anything after Si Monumentum...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:02 pm 

Swans for me. Went to see them when they toured To Be Kind, having never heard them before. Gig was immense, but fuck me it was hard work getting into them on record.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:10 pm 

dr.gonzo wrote:
Eliminator wrote:
Ulcerate

I was hooked the first time I heard them, granted I really like that type of thing anyway.

Some of it's good I think, that snare on the latest album annoys me though. The drummer gets a heap of praise, as he should, but sometimes it sounds like he can't make up his mind what to play.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:50 pm 

RICK-MCQUICK wrote:
Swans for me. Went to see them when they toured To Be Kind, having never heard them before. Gig was immense, but fuck me it was hard work getting into them on record.

Try Children of God.

@padre no usually.more recent stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 pm 

I think this is particularly apparent when the bands arrive with a stupid amount of hype around them.

This happened to me when I was 15 and got "Relationship of Command" from At the Drive-In in 2000 and set it in the CD tray having been promised a cross of Nirvana and Janes Addiction and saving and changing rock music like they did yaddey-yaddey-yada....

The yelping vocals and stop start post-hardcore with a load of knotty riffs was a severe disappointment but once I took it on its own terms its a definite achievement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:25 pm 

DesTheKingOfTawny wrote:
Poison

Was it the Bestial Death demo or the Awakening of the Dead demo you found hard to crack? Clicked with me right away I have to say.

Page: 1, 2  Next