Back
  Most Sparsely Attended Gig You've Been to?

Page: Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm 

I had to look through my gig history to remember a few that hadn't been mentioned yet.

Phalmuter from Spain, who are also a contender for the worst band I've ever seen. Fuck knows why Dark Horse Promotions even booked them but a cursory listen on their YouTube was enough to convince me not to go. Got guilt-tripped into heading round to The Pavilion by text when fuck all people showed up. I'm not sure on the numbers but somewhere around 10 payers is likely. Only people I remember being there were Rabid Bitch Of The North who I also caught, the other two support bands may have left already by that stage. To top off the comedy of errors Phalmuter even got Joe from RBOTN on stage to duet on a Judas Priest cover, and failed to tell him they were doing a medley of "Breaking The Law" and "Hellbent For Leather" so poor Joe ended up singing the wrong parts. Sounded better than them doing the correct bits though.

The last NWN! Fest in Berlin's warm-down show in Blacklands the night after was pretty sparse too. Me, one other Irish and maybe 15 Germans which is baffling given the attendance of the 3 previous days, even if it was just local bands. A few other Irish and some others from the fest were outside the venue but either didn't fancy paying in or were in the bouncers' bad graces for acting the maggot at the after-parties the previous nights. Bloody Vengeance and Lihhamon were both good but the middle band by the name of Tranquilizer were hilariously bad. Hipster Black Metal with a farty trumpet or some other brass accompaniment. I had to leave and go outside because I was getting dirty looks for roaring with laughter.

I can also recall a few opening bands at very healthily attended gigs playing to fuck all. Steel Tormentor at the Darkest Era album launch in Limelight in 2011 comes to mind, at least 3/4ths of people were there and paid in but stayed outside or in Katys for all of their set. And a few weeks before at the last Nuclear Winterfest in the Pavilion on the second day Comply Or Die played about the first 25 minutes of their 30 minute opening set to only me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:41 pm 

That Desecration gig in Cork in 2000 was great fun, have a bootleg of it. 40 was a good size crowd in the old Fred's. They had a fairly big crowd in Limerick in 2002, if memory serves me correctly, the High Stool had some great crowds back then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 am 

"Steel Tormentor at the Darkest Era album launch in Limelight in 2011 comes to mind, at least 3/4ths of people were there and paid in but stayed outside or in Katys for all of their set"

Not surprised at all, one of the worst bands/live bands I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 am 

Ah, Steel Tormentor -that deserves a fresh thread of its own!

I remember their debut getting the five star treatment here and being intrigued, I went to see them having not heard the record - my god they were awful.

Subsequently checked out the album and couldn’t get over it, out of tune guitars, timing issues, wobbly vocals and 9th hand Iron Maiden riffs were order of the day.

There simply had to be a dropsie in exchange for that review!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm 

Absolute spot on.

But at least their album covers were original. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 pm 

This one is grim Nashville Pussy playing a 1000 seater to 25 punters. Then again, they were and are shit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKKBNSgNwe0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:23 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
This one is grim Nashville Pussy playing a 1000 seater to 25 punters. Then again, they were and are shit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKKBNSgNwe0

Jesus Christ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:30 pm 

BobbyTheBuzz wrote:
Absolute spot on.

But at least their album covers were original. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PMSL...thought of Saxon before even seeing the second pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm 

Had one last month. I saw Ares Kingdom playing to about 15 people :roll: .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:21 am 

Paul keohane wrote:
Desecration played the cruiscin a few times 7/8/9 years ,turnouts weren't bad.They played Freds about 17/18 years ago to about 40 people.
There was 180 at their gig with Morphosis in 1995 in Cork.

I was at that, I think. Who else played at it, I have Bereaved in mind for some reason?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 am 

Quote:
Had one last month. I saw Ares Kingdom playing to about 15 people :roll: .

Likewise! Promoters seemed to really drop the ball with that tour. They were killer in Montreal regardless.

I might have already posted in this thread, but I caught Castle a couple of years ago and they played to maybe 7 payers. Felt mortally obliged to buy a CD that night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 am 

there was a couple of gigs back around 1999 to 2003 in the Rosetta, Belfast, that only had a handful of folk, about 10 at best, in attendance...

Zeke
Raging Slab
Thee Plague of Gentlemen & Officium Triste

i'm sure there's more that I can't remember!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:00 am 

Was on a tour in 2003 and did Helsinki the first night, which was rammed and off the dial in terms of crowd madness. The following night was in Turku and 11 people paid into the gig. All three bands played but Jesus we couldn't wait to get the living fuck out of there. Two extremes in two nights.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm 

Sometimes it's the booking agents being too pushy that causes these gigs to happen.

An agent for a huge band will push a smaller bands tour on local promoters, who goes for it despite it not looking well due to a bad night, or the band having been here too recently, or just them not having much of a following in that area. The promoter knows the gig isn't going to do well but runs the show to keep in with the booking agent in hopes that the bigger bands will come their way on their next tour. It's the music BUSINESS after all!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 pm 

Not the absolute worst but surprised at the poor turnout for At the drive in on Tuesday.....

Page: Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next