Back
  Paradise Lost - Medusa

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:41 pm 

Since host every album has been brilliant. Icon, Gothic, lost paradise, Draconian Times, Shades of God..... all classics. Great band. The last few albums since the self title have been an epic musical journey. Host to symbol of life just wasn't me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 pm 

Since Host every album was brilliant but from Host to symbol of life it just wasn't you??????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:23 am 

You know what I mean..... but yeah arse about face writing that post!!!!! Yoda writing! In a makes sense at 4.22am kinda way

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 am 

great to see after all this time they are still putting out albums.
Really enjoyed everything from them of late.
looking forward to this and hope they return here for a gig.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm 

I'm firmly of the thinking that the last few albums were fair boring.

Also agreed on the self titled thing mentioned earlier. I used to think it was a great album, as well as Symbol of Life, but the last time I listened to either of them it was awful, hardly 2 good songs on each. As far as I'm concerned it has all been downhill from there, when he started growling again.

Still love Shades of God though. Don't mind the growling on that at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:24 pm 

Very surprised to hear negative opinions of the last one, I thought it was absolutely savage - it's one of my favourites of theirs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:49 pm 

Looking forward to this a band that never disappoints last album was top notch surely due here for this one

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 pm 

Speaking of which, did the last gig here do much business?

From what I experienced or heard myself they've never really been a big draw here. I seen them in 2003 in Whelan's and it was far from full, then supporting Opeth in Vicar street some years later, the crowd that were there didn't seem interested. I heard other visits were similarly poor for attendance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:36 am 

Gig for Draconian Times in the SFX 96 I think was packed. A legend of a gig!

Next time they played was the music centre. I passed on that.

Last gig was very very busy in the academy. Was really good as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:24 am 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
From what I experienced or heard myself they've never really been a big draw here ...

Don't know about later in their career but it's not the case that they never attracted crowds in Ireland. The gig in the Tivoli around the time of 'Icon' was packed. As I understand it the one or two Irish gigs before that also drew bigger crowds than they had been getting back home at the time. Can't quantify it in any way, and of course Sepultura were huge here at the time, but I remember there was no shortage of people like myself who went to the gig in the SFX in December '93 just to see Paradise Lost.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:52 pm 

I regret not seeing them with sepultura back then.... but I did catch the draconian times gig in there which was magic - but the Tivoli gig for Icon was amazing.

Let's not talk about the Host tour - complete with broken-armed Greg in Cork. Awful gig.

Never the world's best live band though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:21 pm 

I've been wracking my brain ever since I saw this thread this morning trying to remember whether I caught them on the 'Draconian Times' tour. I have no idea at all.

They always get accused of being dodgy live but of the five times (that I can remember) seeing them, I always really enjoyed them - irrespective of whether Nick Holmes was having a strop on the night or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm 

The Draconian show was in the SFX in March 1996 I recall correct. I think it was Paranoia from Drogheda supported that night.

Is the new one more as the same as the last one? For me it was a collection of unmemorable blandness, with not even a inkling of what made those pre One Second albums so great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm 

I remember them having a spinal tap style gig in the madnella hall back in 2009 was it? Full metal Racket if im not mistaken.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 pm 

Prolonged Spumesence wrote:
Is the new one more as the same as the last one? For me it was a collection of unmemorable blandness, with not even a inkling of what made those pre One Second albums so great.

Obviously opinion here is fairly split, but I'd have said yes ... except that both 'Faith Divides Us,...' and 'Tragic Idol' are significantly better than 'The Plague Within,' for all their blandness at times. The only thing that makes Plague stand out for me is that with 'Punishment Through Time' they managed to write and record the single worst song of their entire career.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next