Back
  Robb Flynn - Suplex Ban (P36)

Page: Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 am 

To be fair to George Michael he had more talent in his little finger than Flynn could ever dream of.

He wrote Careless Whisper when he was a teenager and for my money did justice to Freddie Mercury's vocals at the tribute gig (Somebody to Love).

Edit - here we go, the lad fucking nails it, belter of a performance.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvM2Cmi-YRU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 am 

I'd say the other members of MH and the band's management are pretty nervous right now. This album is going to tank. Flynn seems to think that the so-called "haterzzzz" are a minority but they are not. The vast majority of the reactions and comments on the new stuff has been overwhelmingly negative and we're already seeing the siege mentality kicking in. I'd even say that the next 'back to metal' album and angle could already be being planned.

To go down the political road 25 years into your career when a lot of your fans are not simply dumb, angry-at-the-world-in-general kids (as, let's face It, most thrashers in the 80s were) is foolhardiness and that's putting it mildly. The very platforms that Flynn is trying to use to put his SJW flavour-of-the-week message out there are the same ones that have contributed significantly to the political divide, meaning that he's now only going to appeal to one of those sides.

I don't agree with those "They can do what they want" attitudes either. If they expect loyal fans to buy an album with the Machine Head name on it but then go and deliver a product that they KNOW (from previous experience) those same fans will not like... fuck's sake, Flynn! You can't have it both ways all the time.

Fully agree with the posts about Flynn's insecurity too. Sums it up better than I ever could.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am 

I'm just baffled that they went back to Nu Metal. I'm not a fan but they seemed to be having a lot of success with the whole pseudo-progressive pop thrash thing and the fans and critics lapped it up.

The whole thing reminds me of the build up to Super Collider being released.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am 

Semi surprising alright, I don’t think they are in terms of success where flynn imagines they should be in his head. The only surprise is the style, is nu metal making some kind of comeback?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm 

I don't find it surprising at all. Flynn has always jumped on which ever band wagon is popular at the time. He's obviously jumping on the avenged sevenfold!/5 finger turd punchers band wagon this time around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bmolBYHDZI

If you can't stomach much of the above, fast forward to here for pure comedy.

https://youtu.be/5bmolBYHDZI?t=108

I can imagine Robb's intention is to have every hick or patriotic American to be reduced to tears then get them into a full hoe down deliverance style.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 am 

Here's what the fans think

"Felt the tears came up to my eyes ...you're more than a band, you're a part of our life. Thank you guys"

"Thank you so much for this. Made me cry. I feel alone in the metal community with my views. This helps so much \m/ I will know all the words by tomorrow "

"Fuck yeah! Beautiful and can't wait for the final version. We will propably not beat the bastards but we can go down fighting. My 7 year old daughter told me this morning she wants to be vegan. Good start! Peace to all"

"Finally! A metal band frontman being a real metalhead, a real rocker, and and speaking up against all the bullshit the establishment is forcing onto people."

"Wow, he just ripped himself open and barred his sole, unafraid. I am humbled"

Though Andy Pearce from Hull wasn't happy with it

"'Every time I see Robb's name mentioned I automatically assume he's saying or doing something drenched in faggotry and I've never been wrong yet"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am 

Quote:
So give us all your f*****s, all your n*****s, and your sp**s
Give us all your Muslims, the so-called terrorists
We'll welcome 'em with open arms and put 'em in our mix
We're better off together now, embrace our difference

Vomit.

Hope Phil Anselmo makes an 11 minute video.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 am 

It’s easy to feel nauseated by the mundane sentiment and child-like simplicity of the lyrics, but these are moronic times we live in and it certainly appears to be getting worse. I’m beginning to suspect that Robb is perhaps more shrewd than we give him credit for. This is a canny move, appealing to the easily led in basic language they can comprehend and it’s basic and repetative so they may pay attention long enough for it to register in the contemporary simpleton memory. The fucker might actually strike gold with this shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 am 

Comparing the official and the acoustic version the latter sounds better. I can kinda see what he was trying to do; a Woody Guthrie protest song. Such songs were aimed at working class poorly-educated people, so needed basic lyrics with a simple and clear message. Nowadays even dumb Americans are a bit smarter and people don't like being patronised.

Some of the comments under the official version are good;

the intro reminds me of the local ice cream truck

Machine Cuck

So this is what a mid-life crisis sounds like

I ain't expecting NOTHING from you, and yet disappointed me...

Cringiest song I've heard this year and 2018 has only started.

A moment of silence for Machine Head, plz

I agree the song is really bad at all.. but I genuinely laughed at 3:32, wtf????

Trash...and worse still...political trash.

I like this more than machine head wearing matching clothes.

Somebody inform Sam Dunn, a new flavour of metal is born: cuck metal.

Another reason to hang myself! Thanks Robb!

I got to the "before you vote" part, and I just can't stop laughing. God, what a joke this is.

LOLOCAUST

Rob saw one episode of Sons of Anarchy and said "that's our image until Adidas jumpsuits and cornrows are back in style

For the sake of your name... you should take this down. Lmao

Good news is you can all vote for Oprah soon :'D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am 

Quote:
It’s easy to feel nauseated by the mundane sentiment and child-like simplicity of the lyrics, but these are moronic times we live in and it certainly appears to be getting worse. I’m beginning to suspect that Robb is perhaps more shrewd than we give him credit for. This is a canny move, appealing to the easily led in basic language they can comprehend and it’s basic and repetative so they may pay attention long enough for it to register in the contemporary simpleton memory. The fucker might actually strike gold with this shit

In theory you are absolutely correct.

As for striking gold, Robb has always been a little late to the party. Nu metal was in the throes of it's demise when Supercharger dropped. (Though Robb maintains it's perceived lack of success can be put down to 9/11)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am 

When you´re 50 and you´ve never worked in anything else other than music you´ll probably stoop to the sordid depths of shamelessness that this total windbag stoops to. He´s paying the bills in the only way he can, hopping from one trend to another. I honestly think it won´t be long till he´s Rowena or Roberta Flynn, it all just depends on how many saps he can convert with this latest muck. His balls are literally hanging in the balance.

I haven´t even listened to MH since The More Things Change. They were good for a brief moment in time i.e. Burn Eyes. When Chris Kontos went that was the end for me, he was a savage. Anything else I´ve heard from them has been absolute drivel, I don´t know how they´ve stayed in the limelight for so long.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 am 

He's literally the most fortunate man in Metal. They were down and out after Supercharger, Roadrunner had dropped them. To be fair , he had a quick scan of what was selling and delivered a record that sounded like Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 am 

Juggz has hit on an excellent point here - Flynn might actually end up being hailed as some sort of visionary by the generation of idiot fuck-yeah-bro "metalheads" that we're mired in. That may seem stupid, but in a world where a certified idiot can cut a series of wrestling promos and end up President, never underestimate the value of appealing to lowest-common-denominator stupid fucking hicks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:59 am 

pedro wrote:
When you´re 50 and you´ve never worked in anything else other than music you´ll probably stoop to the sordid depths of shamelessness that this total windbag stoops to. He´s paying the bills in the only way he can, hopping from one trend to another.

He's been doing it long before he was 50 though. If it wasn't so painfully obvious that he uses his band to chase the current metal trend dollar you could at least give MH some credit for being a band with such a varied sound - but they're not that at all.

Personally I'm now a bit miffed that the Brokencyde/Hollywood Undead style of terrible metal never got bigger. I'd have love to see what terrible shit Flynn would come up with trying to ape that.

Page: Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next