Back
  New Converge.

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 pm 

Sounds really good, don't think it's as immediate as All We Love We Leave Behind but it's still very good none the less.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 pm 

The new album is really great. Decipherable Brannon is the better Bannon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 am 

Yup, I can't leave it alone, it's excellent. Not a dull moment on it, and yeah Bannon is in fine form on it too.
In an album filled with plenty of highlights, the one part that keeps making me laugh just from the heaviness alone is the riff at the end of 'Cannibals'. It's like a lovely suprise when it comes in. Savage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:17 am 

Finally picked up a physical copy of this.

Fantastic album, they've reached the point where they can pretty much do whatever they want and pull it off. There's elements of hardcore/sludge/thrash/death metal/post-rock etc, but it all sounds like Converge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:15 pm 

Great album.

The last few are great too, but they all kinda bled into each other. This is a decent refresh of their sound.

"Reptilian" is a banger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:50 am 

Myself and my housemate were talking about this the other night - kinda baffled at how much smoke the press will blow up this band's arse every time they release something at this stage. Really I'd argue, having followed every subsequent release since, that the last truly great Converge album was "You Fail Me" which is a mighty long time ago at this stage. I like Converge but the pattern of hype around every album is sickening*.

This one is to my ears the weakest release of theirs in quite some time, and having listened to it a lot over the weekend the only thing that's stayed with me is the feeling that for a band at this stage of their career to be able to blatantly steal another band's style in the way they do with "Trigger" (which is a blatant knock off of the Jesus Lizard) is arrogance in the extreme.

It's a mediocre Converge album, in the way the last few have been to varying degrees. I'd be interested to see how mad people are about it 6 months from now, once the rush of "wow, they've got a new one out" subsides.

*I'd argue the same about Neurosis after the last album too. Another band I've listened to for a long time who are starting to feel redundant but get patted on the back just for existing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 am 

I can agree on how saturated they are in metal media at the moment, every single site and article is covering them or interviewing them, way more so than their last few releases. It's a bit much, and hard to avoid letting it influence how you would listen to the album.

I do think it's better than both the last two albums, but nowhere near as good as You Fail Me, or No Heroes. It really isn't a massive revision or second coming of the band as is being pushed everywhere, but I think it will last the test of time well, definitely longer than the 6 months you're putting it at.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 am 

It's not the saturation I take issue with, it's that I genuinely don't think this album is anywhere as good as reviews are making it out to be. Personal taste obviously, but I just genuinely don't hear all this amazing stuff the rest of you and seemingly every fucking reviewer does. It seems very much like business as usual.

You hit the nail there , "it isn't the second coming or a massive revision" exactly. So why are people making it out to be?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 pm 

I really like this album. I had posted in the comment section of the review from the front page that You Fail Me and No Heroes are my favourite albums. Will it stand up in 6-8 months time? I don’t know but right now it’s ticking all the boxes.
As regards every review calling it the sound best thing since sliced bread... that’s grand too. The next thing will come along like always.
They have a huge amount of merchandise to coincide with it. Shirts of every colour and hideous track suit pants. Who wears track suit pants with band logos? It was the same for Wear Your Wounds.
On another note the new All Pigs Must Die is getting a lot of spins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:20 pm 

I haven't heard the new one yet so can't really comment on that, but yeah, I'd agree that the last few albums have been a bit underwhelming. I also think that Converge set the bar so high on both Jane Doe and You Fail Me that it was always going to be as impossible task to live up to either of those. I'm a huge fan so maybe a bit biased, but I think that Converge, like Godflesh, have an astonishingly solid catalogue. Some outright classics, and some 'just' good. That said though, and it's probably a bit judgemental on my part, but anything Pitchfork raves about, I tend to take a more measured view of. Completely agree with Neurosis btw, I've found everything post Times of Grace to be a bit of a slog.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm 

Well I'm loving this and think You Fail Me is weak as piss.

Opinions, assholes, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:15 pm 

Surprise EP called 'Beautiful Ruin' released today, four short leftovers from The Dusk in Us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 pm 

I’ve been listening to the album recently again. I left positive comments in the thread and in the review section but I must say I now stand corrected. I find the whole thing to be a meandering mess. I have no issue with the slightly different direction taken at all. At the end of the day the songs are poor.
As regards the new ep... no thank you.

Page: Previous  1, 2