New Bruce Dickinson autobiography

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 pm 

I wonder does Nikki Sixx get a mention...lol

https://youtu.be/Iy4pNAapM7w

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:12 am 

John Kimble wrote:
HallowedBeThyShane wrote:
Seems all too convenient how it has been wiped from Maiden history.

Yeah, bit odd that the marketing brains behind one of the biggest metal bands in the world didn't publicise more an alleged sexual assault involving the lead singer. Could have really capitalised on that.

Its just another reason as to why I can't get my head around the self righteous prick. People in glass houses and all that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:36 pm 

Self righteous prick?? You mean successfull businessman.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:48 pm 

Oskorei wrote:
Self righteous prick?? You mean successfull businessman.

No I mean self righteous prick but hey, that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm 

I've always found Bruce to be the most interesting of the lot.

The other guys all seem sound and down to earth but like any oul lad you'd meet in the pub just with more famous people in their yarns.

That said Harris must be a pain to be in a band with, largely because I hate his production tastes and he probably wouldn't have anyone interfere with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:14 pm 

thejuice wrote:
That said Harris must be a pain to be in a band with, largely because I hate his production tastes and he probably wouldn't have anyone interfere with it.

This is exactly why the main success of the band in the 80s was down to the fact that martin birch was at the helm. He was able to be hard on arry regarding prodoction but since kevin shirley took over, theres no one to keep them in check and give them the hard truth when it comes down to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 pm 

Oskorei wrote:
thejuice wrote:

This is exactly why the main success of the band in the 80s was down to the fact that martin birch was at the helm. He was able to be hard on arry regarding prodoction but since kevin shirley took over, theres no one to keep them in check and give them the hard truth when it comes down to it.

Whatever pop sensibilities that they had during the golden era that made them what they were are being dwarfed by 8 - 15 minute long songs that are over indulgent and quite frankly dull.

I am aware that my thoughts about Maiden shoving an entire new album down everybody's throat every second world tour are on record and I am not trying to re-ignite that stupid debate but their output from the last 15 or so years just hasn't interested me at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am 

Just finished the book, very underwhelming.

I think my main issue with it is the structure, the chapters are too short for a start. I appreciate he's trying to do something different and he's a lot to cram in but it doesn't satisfy on any level. He nearly could've done two-three books and dedicate proper time to each of the subjects.

He skims through a lot of the Maiden stuff. As someone quite rightly pointed out, he's still in the band so was hardly going to bad mouth them but just as we reach NPFTD it kind of skips on to his solo career. The reunion isn't given much time either, all of a sudden we're onto book of souls.

Once he achieved his pilots license earlier on in the book, each chapter gets bogged down with flying anecdotes. Unless you're an enthusiast it doesn't make for great reading. Landing conditions at various airports, an instruction manual he wrote, a talk or training he provided, aircraft he bought. ????

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm 

I got the book on loan from Dublin library and finished it sometime before Christmas. Although I wanted to write some thoughts I was too lazy to look for the thread.

I thought the book was well written in that it seemed to come from a writer. I thought his early life was well explained and detailed, up until him joining Maiden. After that I don't know what the fuck happened - the bollox just fell out of it. The only slight nugget of enlightenment was the one sentence when he says, 'Without intending to, Adrian talked himself out of the band during a meeting'. I always thought his departure at NPFTD was more considered.

The book gets increasingly insufferable with chapter after chapter of detailed flying stories, and implicitly, how great we should find him. However, in fairness and somewhat ironically, he also comes across very down-to-earth and approachable given his wealth and fame. Overall, I found the book quite unpleasant actually and glad I just got a loan of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm 

Got gifted the book at Christmas, haven't started it yet. Yer not inspiring much confidence in me with these reviews!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm 

Just finishing this now. Stenches assessment is about right, no doubt he could have written 10 volumes and not covered the half of it. I sensed a deliberate steering away from Maiden as the focal point, which is fair enough as it's about himself as opposed to Maiden but arguably he over emphasised the point to the detriment of the reading experience. After all Maiden is essentially what he's know for and who'd buy the book if it wasn't for the Maiden connection!? I think he played it somewhat safe with the subject matter he chose to focus on and it just made it less entertaining than it could/should have been.

Having said that it wasn't a bad read, I just think he should have held on and written a more comprehensive book at a later date.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm 

Thethrashheap wrote:
I sensed a deliberate steering away from Maiden as the focal point

Yep, I noticed that too. Almost like the book was either to launch a career outside of Maiden or someone who sees Maiden like a job-on-the-side. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 pm 

dogday wrote:
Thethrashheap wrote:
I sensed a deliberate steering away from Maiden as the focal point

Yep, I noticed that too. Almost like the book was either to launch a career outside of Maiden or someone who sees Maiden like a job-on-the-side. :?

I think his obvious intention to play down the Maiden side of things tells it's own story. Steve Harris will always be the main man, the founder and main creative force, at least in the beginning, and my guess would be Bruce is the type of personality that never quite came to terms with that. Guesswork on my part, obviously.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 pm 

Have to add about this in it's defence, at least it's not another drug diary effort. How much I snorted of this and what I did while off my nut on that gets very old very soon. Bruce is essentially an eccentric toff and that side of his personality is quite entertaining and somewhat endearing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am 

He has said that there was a lot of stuff cut from the final version of the book which will be saved for another one - this could be the set up for the "big book"

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next