Back
  Master Of Puppets - Deluxe Edition

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 pm 

An age old argument - when it came out I never remember thinking there is no bass. It was all- christ listen to those drums and guitars, this rules. 30 years down the line still think it is stellar - I even managed to sit through One the other week

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:31 pm 

I played this album to death as a kid/teen, I actually haven't listened to it much over the last decade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:41 pm 

GOATLORD wrote:
An age old argument - when it came out I never remember thinking there is no bass. It was all- christ listen to those drums and guitars, this rules. 30 years down the line still think it is stellar - I even managed to sit through One the other week

Same here. There was nothing to point to any issue with the mix or bass. I loved it and still do.

Listened to the remastered version of Disposable Heroes there and it sounds fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 am 

£138 for the pre-order boxset on amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 pm 

In fairness Disposable Heroes sounds really deadly. I'm not normally one to buy much into remasterings, but on the back of the job they did on the first 2 special editions of KEA and RTL, I wanted to hear this. There is definitely a noticible difference and on first impression they didnt brickwall it. Just sounds ferocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNrx1c3Xh8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 am 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:
In fairness Disposable Heroes sounds really deadly. I'm not normally one to buy much into remasterings, but on the back of the job they did on the first 2 special editions of KEA and RTL, I wanted to hear this. There is definitely a noticible difference and on first impression they didnt brickwall it. Just sounds ferocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNrx1c3Xh8

That'll do!

As much as I can't be arsed with Metallica these days, Puppets is still ground zero for my obsession with metal, nay, music and is also one of the most vital sounding records committed to tape, so I'll be all over this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 am 

I wouldn't be either man, still keep the first four on the shelf by the hi-fi and listen once in a blue moon, however it's cool to see that the reissued versions seem to have merit as opposed to solely being a quick money maker. It's a small incentive for me anyway to go back and revisit them and hear something a bit different having listened to them to death in my earlier years. I believe it was you and a few others who had similar things to say about the Death reissues (particularly the remixed Human), which was also true.

That reminds me...it still annoys me that the only copy of Peace Sells I currently own physically is the shitty remix version released around a decade or so ago. Butchered it they did.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 am 

Amen to that.

I'll be happy if the remaster has a bit more punch. I use mostly the same EQ settings for the majority of my music, but Puppets in its current incarnation is one I have to dick with the settings to get full enjoyment out of...

Speaking of that Human remix, it has become my definitive version of the album. It has a more distinct sound than the Scott Burns 101 of the original, the drums sound more natural, there's more space and wallop between the guitars and my god does Digiorgio's playing get to shine.

The original version (well, the Centrury Media version I have) just sounds lifeless after getting used to the remix.

Just because something was done a certain way to begin with and was the "original vision" doesn't mean it can't be improved on.

And I torrented those Megadeth remixes to have a close listen... My word are they had! I had a rickety, old tape of RiP that I wore out when I had a busy period at college... Ain't got no version of it now as I the original mixes can't be got for love not money, and I ain't coughing up for those atrocities that Mustaine saw fit to put out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 am 

There's a 20th (or possibly 25th) anniversary version of Peace Sells which is a remaster of the original mix, it might be easier to pick up since you'd expect it to be the shitty remix which nobody wants.

It is possible to do this kind of thing with a modicum of class. Flotsam And Jetsam put out a triple-disc version of Doomsday For The Deceiver a few years ago which contained a new mix of the album and a remaster of the original mix to keep everyone happy. The original mix of that album was actually very good, possibly the only good mix they ever had, but the whole thing was done well.

The Century Media version pf Human was just a more compressed version of the original CD, it wasn't a remaster, it was an already mastered mix run through yet more compression which is why it sounds fucking awful. It's just louder and duller. The original Relativity CDs sound fine for the time but the remix Relapse put out is sublime, again showing it is possible to do this kind of thing well.

I think there's scope for Metallica to really do justice (pun intended) to the music by including a remix alongside a remaster of the original. It's a fucking awful, flat sounding album, they could breathe new life into it quite easily without offending any die-hards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 am 

Is there a huge difference in the remix of Human.

The peace sells remix was a travesty even more so sfsgsw. Managed to grab the original peace sells and RIP in glasgow recently for £1 each.

Is the 5.1 version of peace sells any cop? got one sitting here but dont own a 5.1 system

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 am 

You've got me intrigued about the Megadeth one's now. I have the remixed albums, and they're the only copies I've heard and always thought they were grand. How much different are the originals?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am 

GOATLORD wrote:
Is there a huge difference in the remix of Human.

It's not so big as to be jarring or sound like a different album, but it allows you to hear the details in a way you can't do with the original mix - particularly around the bass and drums. It's well worth the money. As has been said, it is the definitive version of the album now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 am 

prof. wedgie wrote:
You've got me intrigued about the Megadeth one's now. I have the remixed albums, and they're the only copies I've heard and always thought they were grand. How much different are the originals?

They sound more natural. They still have a clean, polished production, but everything sits more naturally in the mix. Plus the remixes have a few bits that were actually re-recorded (mostly backing vocals I think) and they just sound weird...

Then again, if you're used to the remixes then the originals might sound weird to yourself. There's enough of a difference to definitely make it worth your while hearing them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 am 

Juggz wrote:
There's a 20th (or possibly 25th) anniversary version of Peace Sells which is a remaster of the original mix, it might be easier to pick up since you'd expect it to be the shitty remix which nobody wants.

It is possible to do this kind of thing with a modicum of class. Flotsam And Jetsam put out a triple-disc version of Doomsday For The Deceiver a few years ago which contained a new mix of the album and a remaster of the original mix to keep everyone happy. The original mix of that album was actually very good, possibly the only good mix they ever had, but the whole thing was done well.

The Century Media version pf Human was just a more compressed version of the original CD, it wasn't a remaster, it was an already mastered mix run through yet more compression which is why it sounds fucking awful. It's just louder and duller. The original Relativity CDs sound fine for the time but the remix Relapse put out is sublime, again showing it is possible to do this kind of thing well.

I think there's scope for Metallica to really do justice (pun intended) to the music by including a remix alongside a remaster of the original. It's a fucking awful, flat sounding album, they could breathe new life into it quite easily without offending any die-hards.

I've heard that remaster of Peace Sells and it's great... Just sounds better without touching the original mix.

I agree completely about Metallica handling a remix in that way... I think I have a few Deep Purple albums that were done like that, remaster on one disc, modern remix on the other. Both discs were handled with care and sound different enough to warrant a spin each as they both have their own merits.

where there's thunder and the wind shouts back
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 am 

I hated the sounnd of the original SFSGSW and never got into the album til the remix.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next