Back
  Master Of Puppets - Deluxe Edition

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:09 pm 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:
In fairness Disposable Heroes sounds really deadly. I'm not normally one to buy much into remasterings, but on the back of the job they did on the first 2 special editions of KEA and RTL, I wanted to hear this. There is definitely a noticible difference and on first impression they didnt brickwall it. Just sounds ferocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNrx1c3Xh8

Sounds pretty nice. Are vinyl editions of the albums available on their own after release of the deluxe set?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:28 pm 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:
In fairness Disposable Heroes sounds really deadly. I'm not normally one to buy much into remasterings, but on the back of the job they did on the first 2 special editions of KEA and RTL, I wanted to hear this. There is definitely a noticible difference and on first impression they didnt brickwall it. Just sounds ferocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNrx1c3Xh8

I very rarely buy remasters of albums I already own, but Jesus Christ that sounds really good. Time to upgrade my Metallica CDs perhaps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:34 pm 

I'll be interested in the AJFA remaster as I genuinely think that album sounds terrible compared to the others. And it's nothing to do with a lack of base. I don't think the guitar tones or the drums on it are right. It's like everything is being held back. I listened to it through from start to finish yesterday to reaffirm my thoughts on it and I think the sound on it is muck.

I've heard the songs sound much better live etc, so I know it's not the songs themselves. It's entirely a production thing for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:05 pm 

This just cannot land quick enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:48 pm 

£138 on Amazon atm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 pm 

If you check out Wow HD (who do super cheap CD and records with free shipping, used to be called Rakuten/Play.com) you can pre order MoP on vinyl for about 16 euros. Just the record without the swanky box set extras.

http://www.ie.wowhd.com/master-of-puppets/858978005219

I didn't buy the first two remasters but I've heard nothing but praise for them, even under the dreaded YouTube comments of some of the uploaded stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm 

Jesus Phish wrote:
I'll be interested in the AJFA remaster as I genuinely think that album sounds terrible compared to the others. And it's nothing to do with a lack of base. I don't think the guitar tones or the drums on it are right. It's like everything is being held back. I listened to it through from start to finish yesterday to reaffirm my thoughts on it and I think the sound on it is muck.

I've heard the songs sound much better live etc, so I know it's not the songs themselves. It's entirely a production thing for me.

the whole point of that album is it's a perfect fit for the late 80s...it sounds awkward and odd, but in a classic way, just my feelings on it.

I saw the 10 euro RTL remaster in Tower records, so I might just get the cheap cd version of them all and maybe see again next year about one of the pricy deals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 pm 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:
If you check out Wow HD (who do super cheap CD and records with free shipping, used to be called Rakuten/Play.com) you can pre order MoP on vinyl for about 16 euros. Just the record without the swanky box set extras.

http://www.ie.wowhd.com/master-of-puppets/858978005219

I didn't buy the first two remasters but I've heard nothing but praise for them, even under the dreaded YouTube comments of some of the uploaded stuff.

Thanks man. I just did the pre-order for MOP and ordered Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightening LP re-masters separately. Just over €52 for the whole lot, the free shipping is excellent.
I'd forgotten all about WOW, I used to use them years ago before we bought our house and funds tightened up somewhat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:26 pm 

I used wowhd for the kem and rtl boxsets and paid £101 each free delivery on release day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:59 pm 

No bother Justin. Dunno how WOW manage to operate on such cheap pricing. I'm all about supporting physical stores and that but some of it is hard to pass up on WOW. Godspeed You Black Emperor's first record on LP for 14 quid with free shipping was one I spotted off the top of my head the other day when doing price comparisons on WOW, discogs etc. That's a double LP too due to its running time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:54 am 

The Megadeth Remasters were very controversial; thank God I kept my original 1990 CD of 'Rust in Peace' as the remaster is shite. New vocals on some tracks as Mustaine couldn't locate the originals. The sound is just not the same at all, the 1990 original surpasses the 2004 version in every way.

The 2004 Youthanasia has a completely different drum/rhythm sound than the 1994 original, and I think it's far inferior. It sounds like a completely new drum take or an alternate to what was originally on there.

SFSGSW is the only improvement really; the original is very muddy and reverbed, the 2004 version actually sounds great.

Peace Sells 2004 is awful, but the 25th Anniversary is definitely better and more or less equal to the original.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:
Dunno how WOW manage to operate on such cheap pricing.

If I remember right it has something to do with them selling you gear that they're buying for cheaper markets and reselling them in higher profit markets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am 

Quote:
SFSGSW is the only improvement really; the original is very muddy and reverbed, the 2004 version actually sounds great.

The trumpets on into the lungs of hell - ugh. Mustaine for being a bit of stickler over everything really dropped the ball on those remasters.

I am intrigured to here these Death remasters though. Rule of thimb leave the bloody originals alone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:22 pm 

With regards to the Megadeth remixes, the 2002 one of KIMB is actually great, a vast improvement on the original. The whole record just sounds rabid.

I haven't really bothered with comparing the other remixes to their originals [not a huge Megadeth fan] but the original mix of Rust In Peace was nothing to write home about anyway - way too trebly.

MOP probably needs a remix as well as a remaster but the latter should improve things a bit hopefully.

Last edited by Cosmic Equilibrium on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:26 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:

I think I have a few Deep Purple albums that were done like that, remaster on one disc, modern remix on the other. Both discs were handled with care and sound different enough to warrant a spin each as they both have their own merits.

That's the 25th anniversary of Machine Head - remix on Disc 1, original mix Disc 2. That has to be one of the best remix jobs of all time, the result sounds like a perfect blending of the early 70s and the more modern era. I think the other reissues did a few tracks like this but MH had the whole album redone.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next