Into The Void Records Winding Up?

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 pm 

Here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 am 

skyr wrote:
Invictus wrote:
skyr wrote:
I'd happily spend at a local metal shop if one now existed...

The Sound Cellar still exists, to be fair.

Given Dublin's insane rental costs, having a record shop dedicated to metal again would be practically impossible. The original ITV on Whitefriar Place was a great experience. Such a fun time in there.

As a comparison RAGE is doing quite well, so if you have the scale of market of millennial and gen y video game culture it's possible to prosper but I doubt we'll ever see that demographic weight behind a niche music form again, after say the grunge thing

The RAGE does well because it's targeting so many different markets. If all they did was sell Indie records, they'd have closed down years ago. I'd say the main thing that keeps them in business is their video game trade. That's all they really ever advertise, except when it comes to Record Store Day.

huez2000 wrote:
skyr wrote:

As a comparison RAGE is doing quite well,

Where's RAGE?...is it a new record store?

It's on Fade Street. It's a retro video game shop that happens to have a record store in the basement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 am 

How good, or otherwise, is their music section out of interest?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 am 

John Kimble wrote:
How good, or otherwise, is their music section out of interest?

It's pretty varied, I've found a lot of decent Metal and Rock on visits up there before. New and Used stuff. If you're in the area it's worth a look in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 am 

RAGE is a load of bollocks lads. They do have a decent selection but it's way overpriced and that goes for games, records CD's whatever.

Last time I was in they had a rake of second hand Death Metal tapes but they were looking for 10-12 euro per tape!!! Fucking mental. I actually opened a copy of Cannibal Corpse's "The Bleeding" to find only the inlay was genuine and you had a dubbed onto Maxell copy of the album, still €12.

I had a chat with one of the staff members that day about the price of the tapes specifically as I still collect them on a regular basis but the message was basically that I was wrong and if I felt that I could get tapes cheaper that it was great that I had other options to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:54 pm 

sale is on now if ye wanna stop whinging here and actually buy something

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:38 pm 

Range's target audience is upper middle class posers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 pm 

Lol! True! Lots of jumpers and beards in that kip.

Looking at the same mr sentinel, what's the postage like for records?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:17 am 

It's all calculated in the webstore but here's a guide
http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent ... /Standard/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:24 pm 

I'm not a massive fan of Rage, but they do sometimes have affordable retro games which I love, and it's nice that some kind of dead media business can do ok for itself notwithstanding the hipster vibe.

As I said earlier, if you have a big enough demographic it can be done, but metal's kind of had its 3rd or 4th peak circa 03-13, and it's kind of a bit worn out these days. Not enough people to support a form of music which is becoming niche again.

Page: Previous  1, 2