Back
  Big names that didn't get the gig.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:39 am 

lemmyisgod wrote:
Apparently Justin Broadrick turned down a spot in Faith No More and Danzig.

I had heard about the FNM one before, he was meant to record and tour King for a Day with them. It was around that time at least. Trey Spruance was picked after for the album but for that tour they ended up using Dean Menta instead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 am 

Pretty much the opposite of the thread...

Was on an 80s buzz (as in, cheesy as sin pop music) over the weekend and of course, "The Safety Dance" got a look in... Just reading a bit more about Men Without Hats and it turns out Away had a stint on the drums with them :o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:

Was on an 80s buzz (as in, cheesy as sin pop music) over the weekend and of course, "The Safety Dance" got a look in... Just reading a bit more about Men Without Hats and it turns out Away had a stint on the drums with them :o

Fuck I hate that song and the video with that wee midget in it...horrible stuff lol...Status Quo actually did cover,it was shite as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:43 pm 

Great tune, many a drunken evening ended with that one being dug out

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:51 pm 

Brox wrote:
DuckyDoodleFace wrote:

Fuck I hate that song and the video with that wee midget in it...horrible stuff lol...Status Quo actually did cover,it was shite as well.

I absolutely detest that song as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 pm 

Ah lads that's a great tune.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:17 pm 

Aye it's a proper banger :lol:

Also spotted that James Love (ex Dillinger Escape Plan) played with them for six years!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm 

metaljoe wrote:
GOATLORD wrote:
No. Blackmore tried to poach Lynott to start a new band with him and Ian Paice, rumour has it something was recorded but has never surfaced to date.

There is an interview with Blackmore on youtube talking about this. He said it was early in Phil's career, he liked Phil's charisma and stage presence, but thought he hadn't developed into a great bass player yet which of course he later did.

Thankfully this didn't happen, Blackmore changed lineups annually, and Phil might have never gone on to write the classic Lizzy albums.

Here's that Blackmore/Lynott/Paice interview, I didn't realize this led to Coverdale/Hughes and Burn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoUlz0 ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:58 pm 

They're was a famous hoax in the late80's that tom Jones had Joined black Sabbath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:02 pm 

Another rumour I heard was Michael kiske was going to get the maiden job after Dickinson left in the early 90's but blaze bayley got the job instead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:20 pm 

That was after SSOASS well before Bruce left. It turned out Adrian left instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:18 pm 

Paul Gilbert almost got an audition for Ozzy but he was 15. Much like Jeff Loomis with Megadeth they were too young to be in a band surrounded with drink and drugs.

After Zakk a ton of famous guitarists all said they had auditions for Ozzy but "turned them down" or got the gig and decided against it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:23 am 

Anvil frontman Steve "Lips" Kudlow says he doesn't regret turning down an invitation to join Motörhead in the early '80s.

Lemmy Kilmister reached out to Lips in 1982 after Motörhead guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clarke left the band during its U.S. tour. Former Thin Lizzy guitarist Brian Robertson ended up getting the gig until he was fired the following year.

Lips tells Music Feeds that he feels conflicted about his decision; on one hand, he would have liked to have tried it, but then again Anvil has always been his life's work—he doesn't believe he could have done both.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 am 

anti-hipster wrote:
Another rumour I heard was Michael kiske was going to get the maiden job after Dickinson left in the early 90's but blaze bayley got the job instead

Andre Matos (Angra) took part in a worldwide contest for replacing Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden and was in the Top 3 finalists alongside James LaBrie(Dream Theatre) and eventual winner, Blaze Bayley.

Kiske....About the rumor concerning his joining of Iron Maiden: "The rumor was complete false! Nobody asked me to join them! I only heard that on the TV and I didn't know anything about it. I think this rumor came up from an interview where Steve Harris (Iron Maiden's bassist) mentioned in a French interview that he could imagine only three singers in Iron Maiden and I was one of them. They also had the same management. That's all."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 am 

Fucking hell, could you imagine LaBrie butchering Maiden tunes?

Then again, if he was in Maiden he may not have taken that holiday where he got food poisoning and knackered his vocal chords.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next