Back
  Big names that didn't get the gig.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:42 pm 

Gary Moore auditioned for the position that eventually went to Randy Rhodes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 pm 

Rory Gallagher with The Rolling Stones.
Heard lately Justin Broadrick was offered the Metallica gig after Cliff. Not sure of the exact details or any for that matter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:15 pm 

Rory Gallagher with the Stones would have been savage.

David Coverdale with Black Sabbath in 84. Iommi asked him but he'd signed a new Whitesnake deal just before that. He said he'd have done it otherwise.

Also from 84, Brian Downey joining Motorhead.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:36 am 

I don't have any to add, other than that some of these possibilities could have been exciting
As a (stupidly) recent fan of Absu, I'm really glad Proscriptor didn't join slayer. I heard his play of 'Raining Blood' and it was great, but Having move Absu albums is better than that prospect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:16 am 

Quote:
Heard lately Justin Broadrick was offered the Metallica gig after Cliff. Not sure of the exact details or any for that matter.

Where did this come from? Would Broaderick not still have been in Napalm or Head of David at this point and not the greatest of players?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 am 

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
Scott Reeder auditioning for Metallica when Newsted left. If Metallica had played their cards right they could have hired him and maybe been revitalised as a creative force a bit, instead they went for the yes man in Trujillo (who is still a good bassist, just not Cliff or Jason) and they essentially gave up on any creative progression from then on. More than anything else, that was when the old Metallica finally came to an end.

Let us not forget that Trujillo (along with Puffy Bordin) was one of the culprits who sneakily re-recorded the rhythm tracks on 'Blizzard of Ozz'. I'd have thought in musician circles, that's a complete no-no, like a scab crossing the picket-line.

Speaking of weird auditions, there's video of John Dolmeyan auditing for Smashing Pumpkins after System of a Down split up. The fact he lost the gig to a 17 year old was amusing. Then afterwards he said he just auditioned 'cos he was bored and didn't want the gig anyway... yeah, take that Corgan! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 am 

fyfe79 wrote:
Let us not forget that Trujillo (along with Puffy Bordin) was one of the culprits who sneakily re-recorded the rhythm tracks on 'Blizzard of Ozz'. I'd have thought in musician circles, that's a complete no-no, like a scab crossing the picket-line.

At the risk of justifying scabs *shudder*, the two were told that the original bass and drum tracks were missing and couldn't be found.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 am 

John Sykes-Dio.. Viv Campbell got the gig.
Dave Meneketti was asked to replace Randy Rhoads.
Deep Purple asked Rory Gallagher to replace Blackmore,before Tommy Bolin.
The late Jimi Jamison from Survivor was to replace Gillan instead of Joe Lynn Turner but was afraid to due to mafia connected management lol

Coverdale wanted Gary Moore for Whitesnake in the early 80s,Meneketti as well I believe.

Last edited by Brox on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:19 am 

HallowedBeThyShane wrote:
Gary Moore auditioned for the position that eventually went to Randy Rhodes

Not that he didn't get it...he didn't want to work with Ozzy for the same reasons he walked out on Lizzy..drink and drugs.

It's funny Moore,Meneketti and Gallagher all turned down the mega bucks jobs to do their own thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 am 

dogday wrote:
fyfe79 wrote:

At the risk of justifying scabs *shudder*, the two were told that the original bass and drum tracks were missing and couldn't be found.

I didn't know that was the story. Anyway, if they seriously believed that (coming from Sharon Osbourne), then they're cracked.

"Yeah lads, we have the Ozzy and Randy tracks, no problem there, but in a weird twist of fate, the tracks of Daisley & Kerslake, the two lads who brought us to court, happen to be lost. Oh well. Do ye want money to go in and record them?" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:38 am 

Well, that was the story that I think Trujillo told as a justification. At the very least, it sounds as naive as the Trojans bringing in the Wooden Horse into Troy. There's no doubt Sharon would've sacked them if they weren't re-recorded, so I suspect it was a case of eyes wide shut.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 am 

Andreas Kisser auditioned to be a rhythm guitar stand in when James Hetfield burnt his arm in 92. He said he knew their songs anyway and stuff like Blackened was fine for him but he struggled with stuff like The Unforgiven which is what led them to bring back John Marshall.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am 

GOATLORD wrote:
Quote:

Where did this come from? Would Broaderick not still have been in Napalm or Head of David at this point and not the greatest of players?

I know Kirk Hammett was a fan of Godflesh, but never heard anything about this. Digby Pearson has a lot of detractors, so maybe anything he says should be taken with a pinch of salt, but perhaps this sheds some light on the rumour...

http://askearache.blogspot.ie/2006/06/g ... a.html?m=1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm 

wiseblood wrote:
Michael Bolton trying out for Black Sabbath.

That would have ruled actually!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 pm 

Was Vernon Reid / Metallica ever anything more than a rumour?

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next