Back
  Big names that didn't get the gig.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
I remember reading somewhere before that Kelley Schaefer of Atheist almost got the spot as frontman with Velvet Revolver.

Sebastian Bach and Corey Taylor both auditioned for them too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:07 pm 

Kisser in Metallica for those 92 shows would have been pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:35 pm 

I'm reminded of that Dream Theatre X-Factor styled drummer auditions from a few years back after Portnoy fucked off. Mein Gott. Cringier than a HollowedBeThyShane post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:50 pm 

Snatchgrabber wrote:
I'm reminded of that Dream Theatre X-Factor styled drummer auditions from a few years back after Portnoy fucked off. Mein Gott. Cringier than a HollowedBeThyShane post

Those audition episodes were shocking stuff alright.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:41 pm 

GOATLORD wrote:
Quote:
Heard lately Justin Broadrick was offered the Metallica gig after Cliff. Not sure of the exact details or any for that matter.

Where did this come from? Would Broaderick not still have been in Napalm or Head of David at this point and not the greatest of players?

That has to be bollix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:11 pm 

Something reminds me that Vivian Campbell was thought of to join Ozzy Osbourne after Brad Gillis and Bernie Torme didn't work out.

I think that John Sykes also was rumoured for Osbourne and maybe Dio before joining Thin Lizzy.

In another twist I think Jake E Lee tried out for Dio before joining Ozzy.

I think George Lynch was also wanted by both Dio and Osbourne. Oh to be a hot shot guitar slinger in them days!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:20 pm 

Josh Todd of Buckcherry for Velvet Revolver. Think I remember there being full songs recorded.

Coret Taylor for Anthrax too

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:15 pm 

Rocky George was another one for Megadeth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:17 pm 

dogday wrote:
Rocky George was another one for Megadeth

Never heard that one. Assume it was around 1990?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:46 pm 

Maybe this is common knowledge but I only heard recently and saw the grainy video of Courtney Love singing for Faith No More

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:48 am 

wiseblood wrote:
Never heard that one. Assume it was around 1990?

I tried googling around for your answer and I'm struggling to find it, or indeed anything about him being in the running for Megadeth. I maybe mistaken, however my memory seems quite strong on the point I just don't know where I read it. I'm wondering if it was in Mustaine's book, as it doesn't appear online.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:17 am 

Jeff Waters was asked to join Megadeth.

Less Claypool auditioned for Metallica.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:26 pm 

Kerry King was asked to join MegaDave in the early 80's.

Nick Augusto (formerly of Trivium) auditioned for Dream Theater after Mike "Sore Arms" Portnoy left.

During the Metallica bass auditions, Ulrich outright offered the job to Jeordie White, telling him that it was "his to turn down," - White refused stating that he wanted to do it but didn't think "A guy who used to wear a dress would belong in Metallica"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 pm 

Quote:
think that John Sykes also was rumoured for Osbourne and maybe Dio before joining Thin Lizzy.

Think the story goes something like: Sykes auditioned for Ozzy after Randy Rhoads died, but he lost out to Jake E. Lee. He then had an audition lined up for the Dio band, but as soon as RJD found out that he had previously auditioned for Ozzy and didn't get the gig RJD said something to the effect of "I don't want his cast offs". [probably not helped by the fact the Jake E. Lee had already jammed with the Dio band for jumping ship for Ozzy...]

Jimmy Ban joked in one of the Last In Line videos album making of videos that Sykes was too tall for the band originally.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:10 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
Kerry King was asked to join MegaDave in the early 80's.

He did a few shows with the band but he wouldn't leave Slayer and commit to them full time. Mustaine credits himself with being an influence on Slayer's success because of what Kerry King learned from him when he was with Megadeth.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next