Back
  Big names that didn't get the gig.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:31 pm 

aye, that's correct actually, you've the right of it.

I'd find it very hard to believe (despite the man's own claims) that Dave was in any way "teaching" Kerry King very much, but then its not the first time that Mustaine has claimed to be some kind of metal Svengali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 pm 

There is a youtube video from 84 with King in Megadeth - pretty good from memory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:51 pm 

Michael Schenker tried out with Aerosmith when Joe Perry left around late 70’s early 80’s.

They didn’t like his “Euro-metal” riffs and thought he was an arrogant wanker overall from what I recall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:53 am 

open face surgery wrote:
Rory Gallagher with The Rolling Stones.

Well it wasn't that Rory didn't get the gig. The Stones wanted Rory and offered him the gig and he turned it down in favour of continuing his solo career. At least that's what I've heard and read.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 am 

DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
open face surgery wrote:
Rory Gallagher with The Rolling Stones.

Well it wasn't that Rory didn't get the gig. The Stones wanted Rory and offered him the gig and he turned it down in favour of continuing his solo career. At least that's what I've heard and read.

That's how I understand it too.

Thank fuck too, lad was far, far too talented to be playing with the poxy Stones (one of the most overrated bands to ever walk the planet IMO!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:39 pm 

Ah ya, I wasn't exactly true to the thread title. I do think that The Stones are a great band. Rory rules supreme though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 pm 

Joe Satriani and Rory Gallagher were asked to join Deep Purple. Satriani actually toured with them for a while but they both ultimately wanted to do their own projects rather than be the guy who replaced someone in Deep Purple.

Jeff Beck tried out for the Rolling Stones but after a day of jamming 12 bars he asked when the rehearsal was gonna start. They said they'd been doing it so he said no thanks and left!

The whole hard rock scene in La in the 80's was incestuous. Seems everyone tried out for some combination of Ozzy, Quiet Riot, Pretty Boy Floyd and Dio!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:14 pm 

Didn't Phil Lynott and Eric Bell have a trial for Deep Purple?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 pm 

No. Blackmore tried to poach Lynott to start a new band with him and Ian Paice, rumour has it something was recorded but has never surfaced to date. Thin Lizzy did an LP of Purple Covers under the name of Funky Junction

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:19 pm 

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
Also the idea of Hendrix joining Emerson Lake and Palmer. Could have been very interesting.

If only for the fact that they could have been called HELP.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 pm 

Apparently Justin Broadrick turned down a spot in Faith No More and Danzig.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 pm 

Les Claypool and Metallica.

Yep....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 am 

GOATLORD wrote:
No. Blackmore tried to poach Lynott to start a new band with him and Ian Paice, rumour has it something was recorded but has never surfaced to date. Thin Lizzy did an LP of Purple Covers under the name of Funky Junction

Was that before phase two or three?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 am 

GOATLORD wrote:
Thin Lizzy did an LP of Purple Covers under the name of Funky Junction

Never knew that...here it is,singer and keyboard player from some Dublin band Elmer Fudd with Lynott,Bell and Downey.
https://youtu.be/daRpyUyPplE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:57 am 

GOATLORD wrote:
No. Blackmore tried to poach Lynott to start a new band with him and Ian Paice, rumour has it something was recorded but has never surfaced to date.

There is an interview with Blackmore on youtube talking about this. He said it was early in Phil's career, he liked Phil's charisma and stage presence, but thought he hadn't developed into a great bass player yet which of course he later did.

Thankfully this didn't happen, Blackmore changed lineups annually, and Phil might have never gone on to write the classic Lizzy albums.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next