Back
  Tribulation - new song/album

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:17 pm 

Through the Velvet Black.... :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm 

Formulas of Death is a masterpiece. The Horror is deadly but works more as a stepping stone to TFOD. Wasn't arsed with Children of the Night and I turned this off about two tracks in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 pm 

It'll be shame if this isn't a progression that ever gets better or equals TFOD album. They'll have gone from good but standard sounding DM band, to releasing a flawless 2nd album before quickly slipping afterwards in quality. Normally I'd be excited for such forward thinking in a band (In Solitude, Bolzer for example) and a desire to not repeat themselves, but i suspect this to go against Tribulation ultimately. My opinion only of course as I'm sure they will gain so much more of a fan base with this and the last one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 am 

After glossing over around ten odd reviews of this, its a majority of 9 or 10 out of 10 reviews, and a small few others that were lukewarm. Will definitely give it a listen and hope it works better as an album rather than stand alone singles so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 am 

Few tracks into this and the premature evaluation would be : if somebody like Matt McNerny was on vocals it would lift it a fair whack! Lead guitars are very well done (even by Tribulation's already high standards), vocals already samey less than halfway through though and it feels like there's a lack of a 'song' thusfar...perhaps largely due to the vocals.

Also, the singles they released sound like the weakest tracks compared to the rest at this point anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:26 pm 

....thanks Nasgul_Brian. Gonna order it now based on your comment above.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 pm 

The vocals didn't seem to be as much of an issue on TFOD because the music itself was so compelling. I think that because TCOTN was so much more straightforward musically, it exposed the vocals to an ever greater extent. They seem to be continuing in this vein with the latest, which of course is fair enough and not to everyone's taste, but I think they could do with changing things up vocally at least.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:34 pm 

Exactly. Which is why i made the Matt McNerny comment, because on listening to this last night the songs arent a million miles from the likes of Beastmilk/Grave Pleasures. However that band have a versatile vocalist on top of the music who brings a whole other layer of melody and catchyness to them.

To be honest its a fairly rare occurence that id go on about vocal dynamics in metal music, but here it is definitely an issue that sticks out to me having followed the progression of the band since TFOD.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:51 pm 

I dunno about the vocals thing , the last thing I'd want is for them to go down the enslaved/opeth route , I think this album could be summed up as COTN only not as good . It's a good record but because it's the same style as COTN you can't help compare it and it dosent stand up well

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 am 

It is a good release but children of the night is better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm 

Not a bad album at all. Sounds quite strong to these ears!

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:57 pm 

I've listened to it a couple of times now. It's not bad, but it is striking me as pretty much a non-event from start to finish. Still haven't given it a proper "undivided attention" listen though, and as a band they've earned at least that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:06 am 

I was unsure at first but now after giving it a few spins I am really enjoying it, Nightbound is the standout track for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 am 

Really enjoying the album, feels like a natural progression from Children of the Night. Some great guitar work.
The vocals discussion is interesting, I do get where people are saying there are mono-tone but not enough to ruin the album for me.

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:43 pm 

Part of me is now starting to think that this is better than Children of the Night, though only in a parallel universe where it comes directly after Formulas. I think the harsh vocals now suit where they've arrived to musically better than they suited the overly eclectic, "finding ourselves" COTN. The only problem is that COTN really highlighted the vocal limitations, so now I can't shake off the knowledge that it is indeed a limit, even if the music fits it better now by being darker.

The singles taken separately sounded like a dumbed down COTN because they've only taken one of the many aspects COTN contained and have stuck to that. Which works well for them, all other things being equal. Just wish I could hear it once without having COTN already in my head.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next