Back
  Deluded local bands

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm 

There was a conversation on a FB group page today, where various types (musicians, promoters) were complaining about lack of attendance for their own gigs and what they could do to save the local music scene.

Their idea: build a website. Because Fastfude had worked.

When I pointed out that, at the time of Fastfude's peak, bands like The Answer, Runnin Riot, By Any Means, Stand Up Guy, Dangerfields, ASIWYFA, General Fiasco, Pocket Billiards, Dutch Schultz, Panama Kings, Gacy's Threads and various others were all out touring the UK in some shape or form (which then led to people paying attention to the Belfast circuit), there was universal silence, bar one or two mutterings about needing "promotion companies."

I've seen it manys a time over the years, but it still makes me laugh that there are so many bands out there who expect fame to be bestowed upon them because they've got a Bandcamp and have played Voodoo twice. And then moan about cliques/lack of venues/no press interest/whatever you care to mention instead of getting up off their arses and doing something.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 pm 

Good topic!

You would think it was limited to younger bands but the older heads can be just as bad sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 pm 

Name and shame ruts or at least throw up a link to them. I could do with a laugh and a bit of shit stirring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:28 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/supportlocalmusicireland/permalink/995292313955998/?comment_id=995415710610325&notif_id=1515350799792966&notif_t=group_comment_follow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 pm 

These guys heard of the internet?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 pm 

I did like the guy who claimed not to find any promoters in Belfast.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:19 pm 

Pity he wasnt looking a journalist or photographer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 am 

one thing I don't understand, and this seems to pop up every few years, is people saying that, as pointed out above, that there are "no" promoters/venues/bands etc in Belfast. Place is coming fucking down with promoters, and I probably know more people who play in bands than don't.

A lot of these internet experts, harmless though they may be, seem to think that the only bands in Belfast are Trucker Diablo and other shite of that ilk.

People love to complain about "The Scene" in Belfast as if it's a) an actual thing and b) of any relevance/importance to the people who actually ARE in bands.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:18 am 

Scene. Support.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:08 pm 

GOATLORD wrote:
Pity he wasnt looking a journalist or photographer

:lol: :lol:

There are more journos and togs at gigs these days than actual paying punters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm 

How long before one of the people in that group come up with an awards ceremony to "raise awareness"?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 pm 

Should we investigate categories at this point?

1. Most facebook likes
2. Number of times playing Belfast in any one year
3. Best Official Statement

I am sure there are many more deserving categories.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:51 pm 

As waspish/bitchy as I normally come across about anything related to “The Scene” in Belfast, (it seems that the phrase genuinely illicits a pathological urge to scream/rant) allow me to posit an actual theory.

A lot of people who give it loads about The Scene and so on would appear to be in their mid-to-late 30’s, and above. They remember the “good old days” (no sarcasm, for once) of the likes of Drury Lane, Rock Bottom, The Pound and when the Rosetta was on it’s first life. They see that there’s nothing really like that in Belfast now, and therefore they think that there’s no metal/rock to be had. A lot of people fall into the trap of thinking that if they aren’t directly involved in something, it does not/cannot exist.

Obviously, that’s not the case. “Metal” in Belfast tends to be quite insular and keep itself to itself. Also, the majority of the good stuff is in the more underground/extreme end of the genre, that the “casual” fans wouldn’t necessarily be into. They don’t’ go looking for it, therefore they don’t find it, therefore they assume it’s not there. I’ve experienced this first hand, wherein people that I was once friends with who had no further involvement in “Belfast metal” than drinking in The Venue have railed at me about how there’s no metal in Belfast and that “The Scene” is dead etc.

The same people who’ll fall over themselves to go see a band knocking out “classic rawk” covers in the like of the Limelight wouldn’t dream of watching a couple of death metal outfits going for it in Voodoo of a wet Thursday night in February. And, here’s the thing – that’s ok. There’s plenty of metal to be had in Belfast if people go looking for it and are genuinely interested.

On the bands end of things, as Ruts said a lot of bands seem genuinely offended that Roadrunner and Nuclear Blast aren't kicking their doors in after their earth-shatteringly successful world tour of the Limelight. I've seen it, I've done it myself, and we continue to see it. It's akin to seeing all those wangs on the X Factor who are evidently only there because they've spent their lives being told by their families that they were brilliant. When reality kicks in, feelings are hurt and the default is to rail against perceived "unfairness" rather than adapting/improving/overcoming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:53 pm 

The "Fantasy" element is certainly more visible with bands these days. A shit band in the late 90's early 00's would remain in the bedroom and not even have a website. Now the hilarity is there for all to see.

I love seeing snippets like

"Announcment, big news coming next week and some major gigs in the pipeline"

These teaser announcements may go on for months before revealing that there'll only be one gig and it's in the local scout hall and the major announcement is an 8 second preview of a track that may or may not be recorded properly in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:26 pm 

Quote:
lot of people who give it loads about The Scene and so on would appear to be in their mid-to-late 30’s, and above. They remember the “good old days” (no sarcasm, for once) of the likes of Drury Lane, Rock Bottom, The Pound and when the Rosetta was on it’s first life.

I think this age group would not have seen the likes of Rock Bottom and Drury Lane.
There is plenty of shit to see in Belfast if you are so inclined. This is all stemming from a guy, his mates band only had the barman and him watching them. There is absolutely no qualitative arguments.
My theory is the bands that attract crowds do so because they are playing overseas and therefore they have some quality kitemark and the locals then go to see these bands as they are affiliating themselves with the "my local band does well" - now if said band starts playing every month in town - the crowd dwindles and then they move back to playing overseas and get accused of forgetting about "us". You cant win, the facts are in the day of social media everyone likes to complain and display outrage. The same people jump from cause to cause - its all hot air and until any of them lift a finger to prove otherwise - the song will remain the same.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next