Back
  Deluded local bands

Page: Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:20 pm 

BobbyTheBuzz wrote:
The only metal bands to ever 'make it' to a certain extent is Primordial & Gama Bomb, i.e these bands will pull abroad.
There are plenty of other bands (mentioned above) who have gigged and known a bit outside Ireland but that is it, not a 'pull' so to speak.

Altar of Plagues and Mourning Beloveth (at least) to be added to that shortlist, I would have thought. The former are considered inventors of a subgenre by many, in Ireland and abroad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm 

And of course Cruachan, not yet mentioned in this thread at all, but in certain countries even more popular than Primordial.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm 

It might be a good/interesting thought experiment for some people to carry out.

Look back at your ticket stubs for the last two-three years. Exclude any band who have been on the go for a lifetime - eg, Sepultura, Dying Fetus etc - since we're talking about new blood bands here. Support acts are allowed.

1 - How many bands are you left with?
2 - What countries are they from? What country produced the majority of them. How does the population of that country compare to our own.

I know someone will argue "But those bands don't come here because we're remote and have a tiny population" but I still think it'd open some eyes.

If you can't get past that bands don't play here, then do the same thing but pick albums released by bands over the last ten years who have grown from strength to strength and appear to be "making it".

Do it for bands who have been around for donkey's too if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm 

Black Shepherd Carnage wrote:
And of course Cruachan, not yet mentioned in this thread at all, but in certain countries even more popular than Primordial.

Haha, I was actually going to add the three bands you mentioned: Cruachan, Altar of Plagues and Mourning Beloveth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 pm 

Quote:
Irish bands don´t work hard enough´stuff is just bollox.

They don't. Most don't take the risks, most don't make the sacrifice. The industry may have change but those elements haven't, you're not going to get discovered in the practice room or at Fibbers. I'm obviously clearly talking about bands with potential. Few if any try take it to the next level.

Yep I left myself open to that one. Loads of bands work hard, loads don´t, and sometimes a band that doesn´t do fuck all makes it because they simply have that magical something. So what I really meant is that you can have all the best intentions in the world and you simply might be just shit. That´s probably why you´re only playing Fibbers..because you´re not great and the offers aren´t coming in.

When you´ve got the goods, stuff starts to happen for you. I played in a band years ago and we always had the offer of gigs and tours both at home and abroad, USA, Europe etc with well known bands because we were good. We brought something to the table and almost instantly the world started moving for us. Now, the next phase is when that starts, are you going to go full hog at it, effort, money etc. but again that can be related to where you stand in the pecking order of things. You have something, you get out of just playing Fibbers, you´re a professional sounding and looking package with potential but again there´s no guarantee that you just automatically work hard and things happen. Again, maybe in the wider scheme of things you´re interesting but not world beaters.

Now, I think if you can get over them first hurdles that´s already saying something but working with the right producers, networking properly, there´s all sorts of shit that needs to be done and maybe the songs dry up. There are so many factors at play though I will admit that hard work and effort shouldn´t even be a discussion though I´m just not sure how much hard work is going on out there..like are we saying it´s something cultural here? If you´re living in the States, you slot into a network. You play gigs in NY and then you´re up in Boston. There is a route you take. Even getting into that way of thinking takes quite a bit of wrangling for bands who haven´t grown up there. I know one band in particular from Dublin who have been out in NY for the last 20 years, playing out big venues over there but outside of NY no one has a clue who they are. They´ve supported the likes of Bon Jovi at a `local level´ but their music, for me, just isn´t quite good enough, but they seem to have taken on a bit of a cult status at local level...is that success? They don´t think so, but everyone who knows them thinks it´s cool. Beauty is quite possibly in the eye of the beholder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:47 pm 

Quote:
the next phase is when that starts, are you going to go full hog at it, effort, money etc. but again that can be related to where you stand in the pecking order of things

This is the exact point I'm talking about and yes, I think it's a cultural thing. Bands in other countries at that juncture seem to have the neck to go for it.

If we were to ask you, in your own experience why did your own band not push on?

I know in my own case, we simply didn't have the collective balls to up and leave, I'm not saying we could've made it - simply failed to take it to the next step so we'll never know. You need everyone to be on the same page.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
Bands in other countries at that juncture seem to have the neck to go for it.

Which bands and countries are you referring to?

Besides Norway and Finland, which countries of Ireland's size are producing loads more bands that have made it? (Obviously, despite being twice the size, Sweden also far strips Ireland per capita!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thread has gone from being about deluded Irish bands to being about people being deluded about Irish bands

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm 

And could people stop using the term 'make it', please. It's cringe-inducing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm 

@ Cryptic

Yeah I think it's easy to project that a bit too much though. Like the up and leave mentality could well be looked at but I would say there are countless arguments to the contrary also. If we got back to that slow steady approach and say that the likes of some of the Irish bands we've referred to have probably benefitted immensely from having a base here, playing here every now and then to big crowds and then carefully mapping their tours etc.

I would say from my own perspective we could have done with taking a collective deep breath in that sense, seen all the positives we had around us and not felt that unnecessary need to get up and go when it was all happening anyway in front of us. It's when Conor McGregor talks about staying in Dublin to train instead of running off to the States when he was younger.

Sometimes you're best served by using what you have and if you're good enough, especially now with internet etc etc, you will be heard, it's inevitable. Let's say If a band sounded like Cynic's Focus album and they produced a really nice sounding album from their local studio in Longford, it would travel quick as fuck it's that good. Now it takes something really special to produce something like that, a time and a place thing probably and judging by where they're from with an absolute melting pot of cultural and musical influences floating through their everyday world, there's a kind of inevitability about the way these lads come together. But that's out of thousands upon thousands of kids at that time who were playing heavy metal guitar and drums in Florida at that time. Let's just say I won't be holding my breath waiting.

It could also be argued that plenty bands at the time from Florida were given opportunities because of where they were from. The same could be said of the countless drivel bands that came out of Scandanavian countries floating on the coat tails of black metal.

Last edited by pedro on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:10 pm 

Snatchgrabber wrote:
Thread has gone from being about deluded Irish bands to being about people being deluded about Irish bands

Ha, exactly!

And just for the avoidance of doubt, any instance of me using 'make it' in this thread is simply because the phrase was thrown out by other people. I think the idea of metal bands 'making it' in the 21st century is pretty ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:13 pm 

I'm sticking to pun threads from now on

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm 

pedro wrote:

"Delude to Madness"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 pm 

Padre Pio wrote:
And just for the avoidance of doubt, any instance of me using 'make it' in this thread is simply because the phrase was thrown out by other people.

"That was just chat-room banter!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:21 pm 

Padre Pio wrote:
pedro wrote:

"Delude to Madness"?

Tempting..

Page: Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next