Back
  Record Stores

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:06 pm 

With the number of options dwindling and with the recent closure of Head, thought I'd start a thread on record stores.

There's a Golden Discs after opening in Tallaght, popped in at lunchtime and was surprised to leave with a copy of Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos on vinyl for €20. It's a small enough store and as usual some of the vinyl was overpriced but there's some Gems in there. Seen one or two other Earache releases in there, they had the new Maiden live album (€40, though it is a triple).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
There's a Golden Discs after opening in Tallaght

:o :shock:

I've always been amazed that, despite the huge changes to the media market and the effects of the financial crisis, Golden Discs in Dun Laoghaire has managed to keep going despite about half the shops in the town having gone bust at some stage over the past decade.

But even more amazing is that Golden Discs are still opening new outlets!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 pm 

It is amazing Padre, I don't know what they're doing that others aren't. Their pricing certainly isn't any better. The only obvious difference is the size of the stores, very small and always have been and they largely deal with chart items, maybe that's the key? Guaranteed sellers rather than stock lying idle on a shelf?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 pm 

I think it's mostly people looking for presents in the €10-€20 bracket. I find it an undue headache getting gifts without HMV etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:31 pm 

There's a Golden Discs on Cruises St in Limerick but the metal albums are largely limited to Metallica, Maiden etc.

Steamboat Music on Steamboat Quay has a much larger selection and will also order in.

Failing that, there's always Doc down the market :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:42 pm 

Saw that new GD in The Square alright and was surprised. I imagine it was mainly for Xmas and won't last long into 2018. Fair few vacant stores in that place these days so they probably got a decent short term deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:49 pm 

Quote:
I imagine it was mainly for Xmas

Could be alright, hope not though. If it's one thing I miss it's heading over to the likes of a HMV at lunch for a browse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm 

With Head closing down after only being 6 months in business, we here in Galway now have OMG! (formerly Zhivago), where you can buy the most recent chart releases, a few odds and ends from other types of music. Otherwise there's Aran jumpers, 'I LOVE IRELAND' framed pictures, tshirts etc. and maybe an auld keyring or a lava lamp for yourself. So Dublin isn't doing too bad I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm 

There's a Golden Discs in the Showgrounds Centre in Clonmel. Rollercoaster in Kieran Street in Kilkenny is one of the best shops in the country but I heard Willie died recently so I'm not sure what the future holds for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm 

Dublin itself is still quite good......

Good article this......

https://blog.discogs.com/en/discogs-gui ... ord-shops/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:
With Head closing down after only being 6 months in business, we here in Galway now have OMG! (formerly Zhivago), where you can buy the most recent chart releases, a few odds and ends from other types of music. Otherwise there's Aran jumpers, 'I LOVE IRELAND' framed pictures, tshirts etc. and maybe an auld keyring or a lava lamp for yourself. So Dublin isn't doing too bad I suppose.

i actually had to go in there yesterday on the search for a harry potter dvd. they didnt even fucking have that in there. galway is fucked when it comes to music stores. new guitar shop opened on forster street.
guaranteed to be closed in 6 months or less.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm 

Was talking to someone who got gift vouchers for Head for Christmas, after it closed in Galway he tried to contact them about redeeming them but has met with no response. They've been removing any comments or posts on their page from people asking too - I'd seen a few lately but just went back to look and they're all gone. Fairly bad form.

More on topic - Steamboat Music here in Limerick has a deadly selection of music, I try to get in for even just a quick look every week. Golden Discs has some alright stuff but they don't have their vinyl broken down by genre so it can be a bit of a chore to go through sometimes. That's pretty much it until they do the stalls in the market every few months.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:29 pm 

Head vouchers will not be honoured. Belfast now we lost Head and Sick inside 6 months. Dragon still there and the greasy mod in North Street and the place up the side of the City Hall - mostly shite records for extreme prices. Absolute kip upstairs as well with tapes and cds - would take a week to get through it all to get 2 cds probably and you always feel in need of a good wash leaving it. One small one in Church LAne as well - retro shop with clothes etcc... you might touch lucky.

Bangor got 2 new shops - one second hand and one new stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:55 pm 

There's a new place after opening on Francis Street in Dublin, Blackwax Records. Think it's mostly hip hop, it's only open a couple of weeks now.

As for Golden Discs, I think what they get right is that they know when to expand and when to close down shops. They've been bouncing back and forth but have never had to shut absolutely everything.

They also to the best of my knowledge never bothered with video games, unlike both HMV and eventually Head. Video game stock can be bulky, expensive and loses it's value rapidly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:49 pm 

Juggz wrote:
Rollercoaster in Kieran Street in Kilkenny is one of the best shops in the country but I heard Willie died recently so I'm not sure what the future holds for it.

There's a great little shop in Wexford town that had quite a bit of metal vinyl in it as well amongst the second hand stuff. Can't remember the name right now. South East Records?

I'm half tempted to fuck off back to Waterford and do something similar, I've enough lps to fill a small shop at this stage, but alas I don't think there's much of a demand for second hand Rottrevore or Skitsystem lps in the Deise.

Page: 1, 2  Next