Back
  Vinnie Paul Abbott RIP

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:18 pm 

Sad news for sure. Apart from the Pantera I’ve no idea what he did musically and zero interest tbh. What was he involved in producing??

Stupid username I know, cant be arsed changing it now.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:27 pm 

Panopticon wrote:
Sad news for sure. Apart from the Pantera I’ve no idea what he did musically and zero interest tbh. What was he involved in producing??

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/vinnie- ... 32/credits

He had quite the CV behind the mixing desk as well as behind the drum kit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 pm 

Shitty news. Actually was listening to the GST at a friends last night while drinking :( .

Circlepit wrote:
Another one gone. When I read the Rex Brown book I cane away thinking both Vinnie Paul and Rex were idiots. I would loved to have heard his side of the tale. I wonder had he been ill or did life catch up on him. Fuck it anyway.

I'm just guessing but I don't think he would have been the healthiest of people. Wasn't it him that said in the Pantera DVD that he had a tooth or something that rotted away that much it just fell out of his mouth one day. Also as was mentioned already his brothers death must still have been constantly eating away at him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:36 pm 

I won't pretend that I'm a big Pantera fan, was late to the party with them and Cowboys is the only one I really like. So this doesn't hit me as hard as it will some of ye.

What does sadden me - as someone for whose family this behaviour is also common - is that 2 grown men couldn't bury the hatchet despite having 14 years to do so. One side was willing but the other just couldn't. And you just know that if Vin and Phil had managed to get in the same room, it'd have worked itself out. Now that's not going to happen and Vinnie has taken it to the grave with him. Very sad indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:17 am 

Another childhood hero passes on before his time... Shit buzz.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am 

Quote:
What does sadden me - as someone for whose family this behaviour is also common - is that 2 grown men couldn't bury the hatchet despite having 14 years to do so. One side was willing but the other just couldn't

I hear you Brian, it's fairly common. It was a shame they couldn't work it out - I was surprised that Vinnie didn't change his stance one bit in 14 years, suppose that's a discussion for another time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:03 am 

a genuinely innovative and tremendously powerful drummer. Also responsible for creating some of the most fabulously ridiculous snare drums ever :lol:

tragic news, 54 is no age for anyone to be dying. Gonna go listen to Becoming and revel in the clicky bass drum glory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 am 

I'm seeing reports saying he had a massive heart attack in his sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:42 am 

aye, given his weight and his lifestyle, that wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility, sadly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 am 

N0-Remorse wrote:
I'm seeing reports saying he had a massive heart attack in his sleep.

Pretty much what I was thinking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:54 pm 

Between his interest in getting that wet slap sound on the top and his ability he did a lot for metal drums and production. Class drummer. His double kicks in Becoming like. And his tom sound. Great natural player with feel and great timing. RIP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:48 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
Quote:
What does sadden me - as someone for whose family this behaviour is also common - is that 2 grown men couldn't bury the hatchet despite having 14 years to do so. One side was willing but the other just couldn't

I hear you Brian, it's fairly common. It was a shame they couldn't work it out - I was surprised that Vinnie didn't change his stance one bit in 14 years, suppose that's a discussion for another time.

It is sad but, considering he witnessed Dimebag's murder a few weeks after Anselmo's "Dimebag deserves to be severely beaten" comments, understandable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:56 pm 

Anselmo had a well documented history of being a complete dick about VP in the press, leading Vinnie to legitimately hate his fucking guts.

Anselmo in 2003 - "I just hear a big and sad yellowbelly crybaby fuckin' knowing that his meal ticket is in a different fuckin' band."

I hope Anselmo at least has the good grace to spare us the crocodile tears over this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:00 pm 

I would say as well that VP had an absolutely unique sound on the kit. We all know the snare, but those kicks and toms - noone else had exactly that tone and it was incredibly distinctive. That kind of slippy clack. You knew it was him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:02 pm 

His timing and sense of groove as well were second to none. As has previously been mentioned in the thread, Becoming is a masterpiece. You'd want to have your shit together before attempting to play it, and no mistake

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next