Back
  Vinnie Paul Abbott RIP

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:11 pm 

Earl Grey wrote:
I would say as well that VP had an absolutely unique sound on the kit. We all know the snare, but those kicks and toms - noone else had exactly that tone and it was incredibly distinctive. That kind of slippy clack. You knew it was him.

Well said. I think it was the way that it all just came together. Dimebag had a pretty shit guitar tone really. It was tinny, cheap and scratchy sounding but the riffs, VP’s drums and Anselmo vocals/stage presence just created something unique and brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:47 pm 

Earl Grey wrote:
I would say as well that VP had an absolutely unique sound on the kit. We all know the snare, but those kicks and toms - noone else had exactly that tone and it was incredibly distinctive. That kind of slippy clack. You knew it was him.

Always loved the kicks in becoming - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhFIG6VtWgQ

And speaking of his snare sound.. this clip someone had it turned up to 11.. sounds like a fucking shotgun especially @3:10 :lol: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTwA4mXJKsk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm 

Primal Concrete Sledge live at Moscow 91 is just beastly. The bass drum/toms make it but the sound off that snare!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:23 pm 

RIP , fuckin right not to talk to that skinhead prick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm 

‘ Dimebag had a pretty shit guitar tone really. It was tinny, cheap and scratchy sounding ‘

Could well be the most ridiculous post ever attributed to this ballroot

Scooped mids, Solid state Randall’s and unique attack make him in the guitar world polls at least, only behind Eddie Van Halen in the tone polls. There are at least five pedals on the market designed specifically to help guitar players get close to his trademark sound.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:37 pm 

Not to mention the signature pickups and amps that are also designed for that end. No other guitarist has ever completely nailed his tone either. Literally un-copyable. That said, I can't imagine anything that the dearly departed "Nixer" posts should be given any credence.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:25 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
I hope Anselmo at least has the good grace to spare us the crocodile tears over this.

I think Anselmo is perfectly entitled to articulate his grief, regardless of what happened in the past. I wouldn't doubt for a second that he has genuine regrets and remorse for the way things played out over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:10 pm 

I was a fan of the band in my early days but never really kept track,what was the fall out over?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:17 pm 

“I think Anselmo is perfectly entitled to articulate his grief, regardless of what happened in the past.”

I think so too, he’s admitted some of his actions were not perfect. He managed to reconnect with Dimes wife too in recent years.

Note to self, never cross Leather Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:29 pm 

Paul keohane wrote:
I was a fan of the band in my early days but never really kept track,what was the fall out over?

Short version..
Phil's heroin addiction, ego's & the media.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:46 am 

One my earliest "fuck yeah!" moments in metal is that fill in Fucking Hostile. And after Dave Lombardo was possibly the first metal drummer to blow my socks off.

54 is too young for anyone, RIP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:09 am 

Paul keohane wrote:

As far as I remember they were stranded in Dublin airport because of foot and mouth, things came to head and they just went their seperate ways. For people giving out about Phil he is more than entitled to grieve over this. As has been said he admitted himself he made some wrong moves in the past and he has tried many times over the years to patch things up but Vinnie refused. I think a small part of VP blamed Phil for Dimebags death.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:04 am 

mickO))) wrote:
Paul keohane wrote:

As far as I remember they were stranded in Dublin airport because of foot and mouth, things came to head and they just went their seperate ways. For people giving out about Phil he is more than entitled to grieve over this. As has been said he admitted himself he made some wrong moves in the past and he has tried many times over the years to patch things up but Vinnie refused. I think a small part of VP blamed Phil for Dimebags death.

They were stranded in Dublin because of 9/11 & it was around that time tattoo the planet was meant to take place

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:00 am 

Yes 9/11 my mistake but they never played that show or another one after that. Last one was in Japan in August of that year I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 am 

I remember reading the articles in the weeks leading up to Dime's murder and thinking about how much of a dick Anselmo was being regardless of the substances coursing through his veins at the time. In the aftermath and the years since there have been a lot of people weighing in with their opinions and some have felt the need to berate Vinnie over his stance about Phil.

Now I know Vinnie could have been a bit of a dick with his comments too but I totally understand his take on Anselmo. He lost his bandmate, best friend and above all his baby brother in that cowardly attack and Nathan Gale could have been stoked up with those derogatory comments of Phil's in the weeks previous.

I have nothing against Phil myself and dig him and his bands and completely get that he could do nothing about some nutjob killing Dime. Ideally, I would have loved to see Vinnie and Phil reconciling their differences but any chance of that is gone now which is a great pity. I had tickets for that show on 13th September 2001 and never got to see Pantera live.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next