Back
  Bands going on with no original members

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:53 pm 

There might be a thread similar to this already but it has come up on Blabbermouth today regarding Judas Priest. If Glenn, Rob and Ian retired would it be ok for Richie, Scott, Andy and possibly Ripper plus a new bass player going on as Judas Priest with the blessing from the forefathers?

Should long established groups like Kiss, Priest, Maiden etc.. be like football teams and keep performing with new members?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:05 pm 

Christ no. Its a somewhat different or grayer area if all the original members left and the members continuing the band were in the band for the majority of the bands carer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:11 pm 

Napalm death.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:16 pm 

For me it would need to be a gradual thing, where say a new guy replaces an original member, they do a few albums, another replacement comes in then, etc. Something like what happened with In Flames or Stratovarius.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:55 pm 

Band member changes are fine up to a point. For me Sepultura are the perfect example where this is OK. However if Andreas were to quit that band now it'd be the end of that band name for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:01 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:10 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:25 pm 

Maiden without Harris, Megadeth without Mustaine? It's just not on. Shipping in some hired goons over a 5 year period in order to tour the greatest hits they didn't have a hand in creating, I have no interest in that. The creative force needs to be there, needs to have established themselves into the band over a long period of time, like Sepultura or Napalm Death. A thirty year old band where the longest serving member is there 5 years, nah. It just becomes a brand, a franchise, at that point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:42 pm 

Blackfoot,Ricky Medlock put a band of young fellas together under the Blackfoot name so that his ex Blackfoot band mates couldn't use the name...cunt lol...Btw the young ones are shite.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 pm 

Wouldn't be into it. You're a cover band at that point unless you decide to filter out all the material that came before any members of your current line up, at which point you're just latching onto a name.

Someone mentioned Napalm Death and while sure, technically there's no original members from the first album, you'd be hard pressed to find people who don't think that Shane Embury is a hugely important member of that band.

There's plenty of tribute acts out there that can fill in the boots of the original band for people who want a nostalgia act. But if Metallica over the next five years replaced their original members with hand picked replacements and then kept charging €70 a ticket or whatever they're up to now, who'd be interested in it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm 

It's happening. Dr.Feelgood are touring with no original members, although the current lineup have been in the band since 1986, up until the singer's death (who was the only original member) in 1994. But that's reflected in the venues that they play (250-300 capacity clubs).

Arena sized bands? Forget it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:26 pm 

Simmons has said that that's his plan for Kiss, when they get too old for it. Push the brand, not the band.

I dunno, Napalm have gone from strength to strength and they had two completely different line-ups on their first album. Sepultura on the other hand, have no original members and have gone from unlistenable to spectacular and back to rubbish in the course of their existence, so it depends on the quality of the songwriting and musicianship as to whether it works.

I wouldn't be a fan of a band after the driving force and main talent (for want of a better word) left. Entombed without Anderssen were terrible (although I quite liked Same Difference for what it was) and this situation with two acts trading on the name is a fucking joke.

This debacle with Meatloaf is a ridiculous situation, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:42 pm 

Thin Lizzy are still playing to big enough crowds, aren't they?

I suppose it could be argued that, whilst he isn't a founding member, Scott Gorham is from the classic line-up but he can't have much more in the tank.

I don't think that GWAR have anyone left in the band from the original line-up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:46 pm 

I think they finally had the good grace a year or two back to stop using the Thin Lizzy name, they're Black Star Riders or something now - if it's the same band, there might have been more than one trading on the name. Either way: no Lynott, no Lizzy.

On a related note, it's kind of sad to see Brian Downey playing drums for an actual Lizzy cover band recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 pm 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
I think they finally had the good grace a year or two back to stop using the Thin Lizzy name, they're Black Star Riders or something now - if it's the same band, there might have been more than one trading on the name. Either way: no Lynott, no Lizzy.

On a related note, it's kind of sad to see Brian Downey playing drums for an actual Lizzy cover band recently.

Didn't know that. They dragged it on for a while though.

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next