Back
  Bands going on with no original members

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:59 pm 

Stonebreaker wrote:
In the example of Judas Priest: say Scott Travis and Richie Faulkner made a couple of more albums and then Ian Hill decided to retire. Then another album later Rob packed it in and they got Ripper back would they still be able to go out as Priest.

Surely that would be better than a tribute act with no connections to the band.

Playing on Painkiller and delivering one of the most iconic drum intros in Metal is a fairly reasonable connection. Ripper sang Cathedral Spires. Their papers are in order.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm 

The ex members of stiff ittle fingers play together as XSLF.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:38 pm 

Thin Lizzy basically toured under the name, with classic memebrs and Downey behind the kit for most of it. It wasn't until they wanted to make their own music that they did the right thing and became ironically named 'Black Star Riders'.

Downey' Armed And Dangerous are doing quite well on the road for themselves and he could by right have callled the band Thin Lizzy, but even he know's it probably would have backfired on him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:39 pm 

On the local front... Coldwar had no original members left by the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:17 pm 

From a legal point of view, who owns a band. For example, what's stopping the caverala brothers getting their guitarist from their first album and a bass player and calling themselves sepultura?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:23 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:
From a legal point of view, who owns a band. For example, what's stopping the caverala brothers getting their guitarist from their first album and a bass player and calling themselves sepultura?

I think some members get copyright on the band name. Wasn't it copyright issues that caused Abbath to leave Immortal and what Gaahl and King spent all that time in court fighting Infernus over.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:36 pm 

There's plenty of bands out there who should have just called it a day with some dignity quite some time ago...

I'm not a huge fan but I saw an ad for Queen touring soon with some young buck I'd never heard of on vocals. Just stop it already.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:51 pm 

It's half of Queen, John Deacon washed his hands of it all long ago, dignity prevailed for one of them, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:10 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:

Someone mentioned copyright. My understanding is that's only a tiny element of it to do with the band name. The bigger issue is that bands form companies in a legal sense (or corporations if you're Metallica et al). The companies are owned by the key member(s), and there are various factors of who they are. Band members are either (a) employees of the company, or (b) owners/co-owners. The former get a wage and the latter get a wage and any share of profits. When Max left Sepultura he effectively resigned his ownership of the Sepultura company. The real value in that band was in the brand, and he stupidly gave that up rather handy.

With Immortal and Gorgoroth, I think the issue was similar - different fractions within both bands were fighting over the ownership of the brand by secretly lodging patents on the band names. In Immortal the company was owned by three people and although Abbath was the main guy in a creative sense, he was effectively voted out of the company in a business/legal sense. Professional music is very messy.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3