Back
  Bands going on with no original members

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:53 pm 

I think the said they will do Thin Lizzy again but it would only be the odd festival run now and again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:55 pm 

I think once the main musical influence goes from a band that's usually them done. That's kinda what I was getting at in my first post with In Flames. Bjorn Gelotte came in and established himself as an important part of their creative process that I don't see any reason why they should stop using the name.

But something like Kiss without Paul Stanley, Opeth without Akerfeldt? Nah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:09 pm 

Sepultura are another weird one to bring up. Yes, technically there are no original members left if you want to include a bassist who never recorded with them - but Paulo has been on everything they've ever put out and Andreas has been there since 1987.

Personally I'd include Paulo as an original member. He helped write those songs and played on the demo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:01 pm 

I think with bands like Kiss and GWAR, you can get away with it more when you can't tell who's under the makeup.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:53 pm 

Wasn't the orginal plan for deep purple was they were to be called Roundabout, where people would join and stay for a bit before moving on..?

Ironically that's what deep purple did in the end anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:54 pm 

Jesus Phish wrote:
Sepultura are another weird one to bring up. Yes, technically there are no original members left if you want to include a bassist who never recorded with them - but Paulo has been on everything they've ever put out and Andreas has been there since 1987.

Personally I'd include Paulo as an original member. He helped write those songs and played on the demo.

Kinda like Paul dianno is maiden's orginal singer....but there were 2 guys before him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:22 pm 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
On a related note, it's kind of sad to see Brian Downey playing drums for an actual Lizzy cover band recently.

Saw them at the Rory Gallagher festival this year. They were excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:11 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:
Wasn't the orginal plan for deep purple was they were to be called Roundabout, where people would join and stay for a bit before moving on..?

Ironically that's what deep purple did in the end anyway.

Not as bad as Rainbow though lol.....which oddly enough I can name without looking them up lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:22 pm 

Black Sabbath in the 80's and early ninties were the prime example of a revolving door. Churning out so many albums that most people cant even remember the half of em.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:06 am 

Garyobjector wrote:
Napalm death.

beat me to it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:11 am 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
I think they finally had the good grace a year or two back to stop using the Thin Lizzy name, they're Black Star Riders or something now - if it's the same band, there might have been more than one trading on the name. Either way: no Lynott, no Lizzy.

On a related note, it's kind of sad to see Brian Downey playing drums for an actual Lizzy cover band recently.

Recently seen them playing at the Rory Festival and after watching Walter Trout, Wilco Johnson and Pat McManus, I hate to say but they bored me to tears. Absolutely nothing to do with the musicianship but for me it was the overall delivery. Just not Lizzy.

I think this may also relate slightly to the thread in which Cryptic Stench, shows his dislike for tribute bands. When does a band with no or one original member(s) become a glorified tribute band.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 am 

Oskorei wrote:
Black Sabbath in the 80's and early ninties were the prime example of a revolving door. Churning out so many albums that most people cant even remember the half of em.

to be fair the original lineup released 8 albums in 8 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:13 am 

Imagine Napalm Death SCUM lineup trying to play anything off the most recent albums. They would just explode :lol: .

where there's thunder and the wind shouts back
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 pm 

If it's good who gives a shit?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:02 pm 

Another 10 to 15 years and there will be a great market for tribute bands :lol: as there will be many classic rock and metal bands defunct.

In the example of Judas Priest: say Scott Travis and Richie Faulkner made a couple of more albums and then Ian Hill decided to retire. Then another album later Rob packed it in and they got Ripper back would they still be able to go out as Priest.

Surely that would be better than a tribute act with no connections to the band.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next