Back
  Later Death/Control Denied

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm 

My understanding is that the Death album was part of the Control Denied deal. He had to give them a Death album first, before they’d release Control Denied. I read it seceral times over the years. I’ll try to find something.

Edit -> https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... rance/618/
Quote:
Chuck Schuldiner originally wanted to PULL THE PLUG on the band Death and intended Symbolic to be his final album before moving onto his solo project, Control Denied. The label said they would only produce his solo band if he made one more Death album, but also said he was able to do whatever he wanted with the album as long as it had the Death name on it.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/ch ... -lust-life
Quote:
By coincidence, when Chuck was in need of a drummer for Control Denied, a mutual friend suggested Christy. “They got me in contact with Chuck,” the drummer recalls, “and I was so nervous just calling him to set up an audition. I remember taking my drums to Chuck’s rehearsal space and playing four of the most complicated Death songs right in a row, without stopping or any mistakes. Right then, it just clicked. It just felt awesome, because I had been playing along to those songs on CD for years. And to be there playing them with Chuck was mind blowing.” Christy got the job and, with it, a little surprise: though Chuck was ready to move ahead with Control Denied, he decided to accommodate his new label, Nuclear Blast, with one more Death album. “I was super excited about that because I was a huge Death fan,” says Christy. With Scott Clendenin on bass and Shannon Hamm on guitar, Chuck quickly began recording The Sound of Perseverance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm 

To me TSOP doesn't sound as throwaway as it should if it was just to satisfy a record label. Contrast it with Sabbath's Forbidden for example, and there are plenty of other examples.

It's a testament to Chuck's integrity that he didn't release Control Denied under the Death name. With the constant evolving of Death he could've chanced it, and no doubt got better sells from it.

I don't listen to Control Denied often but it's fine when it's on, particularly musically. I've mixed feelings about the vocals - it seems to have dated the album a bit.

I was disappointed to hear last year (I think it was) that the follow up has officially been shelved.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:03 pm 

I'll agree that some of the songs on Perseverance meander a bit. Flesh and the Power it Holds literally stops dead and changes about. Some of the lyrics are heading into the Control Denied gick territory ("when you think of me in your multidimensional mind", oh fuck no).

However, Bite the Pain, Spirit Crusher, A Moment of Clarity... Fucking hell, some of my favourite songs ever written right there.

Still trying to figure out did I imagine it, but I recall a story about Halford doing the vocals near the end of Painkiller uncredited, any truth there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 pm 

I loved TSOP when it came out, don't go back to it much now tho. Wore it out. Fragile Art was good but the vocals wore thin for me. Would lived to have heard it's follow up, long promised.... I recall hearing the demos for it before it was released and they sounded class.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:06 pm 

I never get the ambivalence around Tim's vox. They are absolutely superb. If anything its the meandering of some of the songs on Fragile that's its main sticking point (What If...? etc).

I mean I love it and everything, but the stern critic does have to ask if its much more than the first few pumping openers. It's nowhere near as good as TSOP, though they're basically the same bar the vox and solos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:14 pm 

TSOP; Brilliant album, I was such a fanboy at the time I swapped a cannibal corpse drumstick I caught at a gig for it with Barrytron about 17 years ago as my money was reserved for Dutch Gold and only had a copied tape.

I'd rate it higher than any of the other Death releases (and I love them all, bar ITP) for the reasons Pete so nicely and passionately described. So intricate yet listenable. Richard Christy's drumming used to absolutely beffudle and amaze me. So many rock out moments, goosebump inducing majesty (that outro on 'A Moment of Clarity, fuck).

Don't ever text Pedro about Death, he'll be on your arse for about three days :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 pm 

Some interesting takes here. I too didn't know that TSOP was released as a Death album for contract reasons. While it is a masterful piece of music I would rank it and the Control Denied album as relative low points in the Chuck back catalog with Individual Thought Patterns and its freakish brilliance head and shoulders above all else to these ears.

The very Chuck-esque vocal patterns on Control Denied seem to limit how Aymar could showcase his talents but the vocal delivery is pretty amazing nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pm 

Aymar is technically a great vocalist but found myself thinking Chuck didn't know how to write clean vocal hooks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 am 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
Aymar is technically a great vocalist but found myself thinking Chuck didn't know how to write clean vocal hooks.

Bingo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 am 

A technically great vocalist for sure, but I could never really warm to the actual tone of his voice. Although it's been a long time since I've put on CT, if I'm looking for a Chuck fix it usually go to Human through Symbolic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:58 pm 

Caomhaoin wrote:
So many rock out moments, goosebump inducing majesty (that outro on 'A Moment of Clarity, fuck).

I have it on right now and there's something so (as you say) majestic about it. There's a finality to it as well, the closing moments of what could quite easily be called the best metal band of all time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:11 pm 

Aymar is phenomenal in Pharaoh. That band showcases his vocals far better than the Control Denied album ever could.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm 

When The Link Becomes Missing just popped up on my spotify. Bloody fantastic song, vocals, everything. When it works it works!

Page: Previous  1, 2