Back
  Disappointing Purchases, Poor Trades

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:10 am 

Based almost entirely on this from the meatloaf thread:
John Kimble wrote:
Remember getting Bat Out of Hell on tape as a young lad purely based on the cover, then recoiling in horror as I was confronted with THE GAYEST fucking music I had ever heard. Hated him ever since.

What's the worst disappointment you've faced buying an album, what really didn't live up to the expectations you had for it based on things like the cover art, band name, one song you heard off the album etc? Also what's the worst trade you've ever made for music?

Just to get things rolling, the worst trade I've ever made was with my brother in the early 2000's, I was about 14. He was desperately trying to complete an NIN collection but I had a copy of Fixed on CD that he didn't. I loved it too. But he somehow managed to convince me that it would be worth a copy of the Methods of Mayhem s/t and Korn - "Issues" in a trade. It took me a half a listen off the MoM album to realise what I had done. State of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:05 am 

I've been buying music since the early 80's, even as a kid I used to spend my pocket money on 7" singles. I have bought some utter shit over the years, including some stuff I have never even made it to the end of. I don't trade, I still have almost everything from down through the years.

The one which stands out as the defining "I've been jipped, here" moment, out of all of them, is Load.

I knew, based on hearing Until it Sleeps, it was going to be a bit different and likely to be not as good as the old stuff, but it was fucking Metallica and, therefore, a compulsory purchase. I popped the tape into the walkman as the bus left town and pressed play. I remember being in Ranelagh towards the end of 2x4 and taking the inlay out to see if the utter verbal pish oozing into my ears matched what was printed on the cardboard. I had bought tapes in the past where the music on the tape didn't match what was printed on the cassette. For a moment, I was sure it was all a wretched mistake. I can still feel the sense of disbelief today, it's etched into my bones. It wasn't that the coolest band of my youth looked like a bunch of cuntish investment bankers at a weekend away from the wife. It wasn't the plodding tempos or the lazy, uninspired riffing, no. I just couldn't believe that Metallica had become purveyors of some of the whiniest, faux self-pitying, look-at-me lyrical drivel. I couldn't believe that a grown man could write - and then sing - such shite without being ridiculously embarassed, never mind one who had written some of the defining lyrics of a generation. The amount of times I and me were doled out as Hetfield shat on an illustrious body of work to wallow in teenage angst just left me bewildered.

All great bands change but this was different. This was the sound of betrayal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:10 am 

Brave New World did not live up to my expectations on Bruces return..couldnt wait to buy it..listened to it twice...on the shelf since..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 am 

traded Luciferion's Demonification for something that I don't even remember

traded Cannibal Corpse's Vile for the RATM s/t

Immortal's blizzard beasts also found a new home...

i've subsequently gotten replacement copies of Vile and B.Beasts, but Demonification is like hen's teeth.

shame on me.

edit: on a Load related topic, if you look closely you'll find that Hetfield sports a mullet in a large number of shots, interesting? i don't know, useful? I don't know, but it is like a landmine in the "hair cutting" conversation. was the woodstock mullet was not a flash in the pan! runs for cover...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 am 

Sold a lot of things late 80s, got most of it back, even some of the actual ones i swapped. Always been pretty canny on trades. Probably worst one was slayer hell awaits and live undead for a shitty anthrax bootleg video back in the 80s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 am 

Juggz wrote:
I've been buying music since the early 80's, even as a kid I used to spend my pocket money on 7" singles. I have bought some utter shit over the years, including some stuff I have never even made it to the end of. I don't trade, I still have almost everything from down through the years.

The one which stands out as the defining "I've been jipped, here" moment, out of all of them, is Load.

I knew, based on hearing Until it Sleeps, it was going to be a bit different and likely to be not as good as the old stuff, but it was fucking Metallica and, therefore, a compulsory purchase. I popped the tape into the walkman as the bus left town and pressed play. I remember being in Ranelagh towards the end of 2x4 and taking the inlay out to see if the utter verbal pish oozing into my ears matched what was printed on the cardboard. I had bought tapes in the past where the music on the tape didn't match what was printed on the cassette. For a moment, I was sure it was all a wretched mistake. I can still feel the sense of disbelief today, it's etched into my bones. It wasn't that the coolest band of my youth looked like a bunch of cuntish investment bankers at a weekend away from the wife. It wasn't the plodding tempos or the lazy, uninspired riffing, no. I just couldn't believe that Metallica had become purveyors of some of the whiniest, faux self-pitying, look-at-me lyrical drivel. I couldn't believe that a grown man could write - and then sing - such shite without being ridiculously embarassed, never mind one who had written some of the defining lyrics of a generation. The amount of times I and me were doled out as Hetfield shat on an illustrious body of work to wallow in teenage angst just left me bewildered.

All great bands change but this was different. This was the sound of betrayal.

Ah god this is lethal, I can feel the misery deep in this post.

I can also remember buying Fear Factory - "Transgression" with some hope that it would be good, the album previous had shown some improvement in the cack that was Digimortal but I was hoping they would get heavier and more industrial. Got to a friend's house and put it on. I can still remember our combined disappointment, also him pointing out that the album felt like it was taking years to get through, no end in sight whatsoever. A fuckin burden to music itself that thing. Should have returned it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:46 am 

Jesus, Transgression was a definite career lowpoint and sickening purchase, especially after Archetype being so good. Two fucking covers (or was it three?).

Massacre's Promise was another one. Just what the fuck? Bought the RATM debut off the back of KITNO, traded that for a couple of Therapy? EPs pretty quickly.

Purchases I initially hated but came around to and now rate very highly: Faith No More's The Real Thing and Therapy?'s Pleasure Death. Both were recommended to me as thrash albums by gobshites who didn't know what they were talking about, both threw me for a loop when I heard them first but when I put my preconceptions aside, realised that they were two of the best buys I'd made.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:07 pm 

Reinventing The Steel and The World Needs a Hero both spring to mind. I was excited at the prospect of both releases with the Megadeth one pretty high since I'd read they were returning to their roots... it was a lesson that the "return to roots" thing that bands peddle essentially meant that they'd run out of steam and would peddle any shite to sell.

In the case of Pantera it became obvious in the following months and years that the band were disintegrating so it was hardly surprising that they released a dud.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 pm 

I suppose this constitutes more of a disappointing purchase and great trade...bought Vitalogy, hated it, then traded it for Superunknown. Traded Bodycount's Born Dead for Psalm 69, result.
In terms of disappointing purchases, so so many it's hard to remember. Most of them, in retrospect, were crap in the first place but I didn't have enough savvy or taste at the time to realise it. I do recall being blown away by Whoracle when I first heard it, then buying most of their subsequent material and realising it was utter pants for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:32 pm 

Iron Maiden's Dance of Death. Seemed to get excellent reviews and loved the one before it but it's their worst album.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:36 pm 

dogday wrote:
Iron Maiden's Dance of Death. Seemed to get excellent reviews and loved the one before it but it's their worst album.

i would have put no prayer up there as their worst .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm 

dogday wrote:
Iron Maiden's Dance of Death.

Far from their best but a better album than everything that came after it.

In Flames - Reroute to Remain. Beginning of the end for me.
Spiritual Beggars - Return to Zero. Did absolutely nothing for me after JB left.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:43 pm 

The Helvetet's Port LP. That started with me and I stung a mate with it, and that same LP has stung a few different people since.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm 

Also, how could I forget two horrific stinkers courtesy of Robb Flynn? I think time has established that Burn My Eyes was a complete fluke. Despite my less than discerning taste at the time, upon listening to Ten Ton Hammer, it was clear that The More Things Change was a complete and utter dud. An absolute snoozefest. You'd have thought that would have put me off Machine Head for life, but no. I was willing to give them one more chance, resulting in the perhaps the shittiest remnant of the Nu Metal era, the Burning Red.
I see Digimortal has got a mention, and rightly so. Fear Factory were another band I obsessed over as a teen. Was blown away at the time by Demanufacture, and eagerly anticipated their next album. Obsolete was, well, OK enough I suppose, had some great tracks and some absolute duds. It was clear that yet again, as in the case of Machine Head, an insidious nu metal influence was beginning to make its presence felt. Nothing could have prepared me for the fucking state of Digimortal though. I must actually retract my previous statement about the Burning Red, Digimortal is arguably the worst example of that particular era.
And yes, of course, Reinventing the Steel. I cannot for the life of me recall a single note of that album.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm 

I was a bit late coming to Sepultura, started out with Chaos AD and worked backwards, then got one or two of the Derrick albums.

I was reading Metal Hammer religiously every month and anytime Seps came up they'd mention how incredible and defining an album Roots was, how it was the best thing they'd ever done so when I finally picked it up my expectations were huge.

I couldn’t believe this was the same band. It was so, so shit. I was still listening to some numetal stuff and even then I didn't like it. Probably haven't listened to it more than three or four times, and that was when I was trying to convince myself it might come good.

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next