Back
  Disappointing Purchases, Poor Trades

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:26 pm 

Hitler II wrote:
Meathook seed - b.i.b.l.e for me. Sticker on the cover said 'featuring members of obituary and napalm death'. That's got to a beast of an album thought i. Oh. Oh what have i just bought

Haven't heard B.I.B.L.E. but have the Embedded debut album, it's class.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 pm 

Juggz post about Load has really brought me back and perfectly encapsulates my own feelings at the time too. I had the fortune though to hear the album in full through a friend so never got stung with a purchase. Never bothered with anything they did after that bar the Garage Inc. comp cos it had the $5.98 ep on it.

Around the very same time (early 1996 I believe) I was recommended the first Korn album by a school friend while we were browsing the racks in HMV one Saturday morning. Assured me it was amazing. Listened to it, scratched my head wondering what all the fuss was about and then asked the same friend would he be interested in swapping it for his copy of Symphonies of Sickness, which he thankfully agreed to. It was the original version with the banned Gore collage cover and the bonus tracks from Reek of Putrefaction. So shitty purchase traded for absolute gold as far as I was concerned.

There was also Risk and Diabolus in Musica in the late 90’s. I purchased them blindly. I’d enjoyed both Cryptic Writings and Divine Intervention even if they were a bit lacking and was perhaps expecting a return to form, but both records, like the afore mentioned Load, were responsible for me completely disregarding anything recorded by either band from that point on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 pm 

justincredible wrote:
Hitler II wrote:
Meathook seed - b.i.b.l.e for me. Sticker on the cover said 'featuring members of obituary and napalm death'. That's got to a beast of an album thought i. Oh. Oh what have i just bought

Haven't heard B.I.B.L.E. but have the Embedded debut album, it's class.

Two very different albums to be fair. Embedded was a harsher, more industrial concern, with Trevor Peres on vocals. Was Donald Tardy still there for B.I.B.L.E.? It was pretty crap alright, from what I remember.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:15 pm 

Down - Diary of a Mad Band. Loved the first two albums and quite liked the third, but this has to be one of the worst live albums recorded. Musically the playing is grand but Phil sounds wasted on the whole thing, out of key, out of time, messing up lyrics...

It's taken from a load of different gigs so if this was the best of the bunch the rest must have been pure scutter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 pm 

prof. wedgie wrote:
Down - Diary of a Mad Band. Loved the first two albums and quite liked the third, but this has to be one of the worst live albums recorded. Musically the playing is grand but Phil sounds wasted on the whole thing, out of key, out of time, messing up lyrics...

It's taken from a load of different gigs so if this was the best of the bunch the rest must have been pure scutter

Utter balls of a release. They were shambolic on that tour.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 pm 

Just ordered that Meathook Seed one 2 days ago before reading this- thankfully it was only a quid. Listening to the first one now again after years, sounds alright still.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 am 

When I was 13 years old I bought Cypress Hill’s Insane In The Brain thinking that they must have been a thrash band based on the cover. Google it. It still haunts me every time I hear the song.

Around the same time, I saw the video for Annihilator’s Set The World On Fire on Headbanger’s and was blown away by the sheer unrelenting awesomeness of it. I saved up for ages and cycled 15 miles to the nearest music shop to buy the album. I can still remember putting it on and ensuing stomach turning disappointment. One great song on an album packed to the gills with power ballads and contrived hard rock scutter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 am 

AntonArcane wrote:
When I was 13 years old I bought Cypress Hill’s Insane In The Brain thinking that they must have been a thrash band based on the cover. Google it. It still haunts me every time I hear the song.

Tis a feckin' classic :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 pm 

Insane in the Brain and Black Sunday are both fucking deadly man!

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3