Back
  Disappointing Purchases, Poor Trades

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:16 pm 

One of the lads selling me Transylvanian Hunger. Which I thought was odd because he didn't sell his CDs.

To this date I rate it as the worst album I've ever owned, and sits on someone else's record shelf as one of only four albums I ever got rid of.

I remember being in Zhivago in Galway, hung over as fuck as I was down partying for my birthday when I had a stack of CDs in my hand. Dance of Death was just out and that was top of the pile. They played the first two tracks in store and was enough for me to put it back on the shelf. I thought the riff to Rainmaker was a piss poor rip off of South of Heaven (which is gas as it's now on of two songs I like off that record, the other being Monts├ęgur).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:25 pm 

Juggz wrote:
I've been buying music since the early 80's, even as a kid I used to spend my pocket money on 7" singles. I have bought some utter shit over the years, including some stuff I have never even made it to the end of. I don't trade, I still have almost everything from down through the years.

The one which stands out as the defining "I've been jipped, here" moment, out of all of them, is Load.

I knew, based on hearing Until it Sleeps, it was going to be a bit different and likely to be not as good as the old stuff, but it was fucking Metallica and, therefore, a compulsory purchase. I popped the tape into the walkman as the bus left town and pressed play. I remember being in Ranelagh towards the end of 2x4 and taking the inlay out to see if the utter verbal pish oozing into my ears matched what was printed on the cardboard. I had bought tapes in the past where the music on the tape didn't match what was printed on the cassette. For a moment, I was sure it was all a wretched mistake. I can still feel the sense of disbelief today, it's etched into my bones. It wasn't that the coolest band of my youth looked like a bunch of cuntish investment bankers at a weekend away from the wife. It wasn't the plodding tempos or the lazy, uninspired riffing, no. I just couldn't believe that Metallica had become purveyors of some of the whiniest, faux self-pitying, look-at-me lyrical drivel. I couldn't believe that a grown man could write - and then sing - such shite without being ridiculously embarassed, never mind one who had written some of the defining lyrics of a generation. The amount of times I and me were doled out as Hetfield shat on an illustrious body of work to wallow in teenage angst just left me bewildered.

All great bands change but this was different. This was the sound of betrayal.

How I felt on first listen of The Black Album.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:31 pm 

I remember buying Ritual de lo Habitual in 1991 on cassette..its the only purchase I've ever smashed and threw into the bin as I had used the last bit of spare college cash that wasn't earmarked for food to buy it...must revisit it sometime...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm 

Likewise, never got the love for Jane's Addiction. Whatever about the music, just couldn't get past the horrid, nasal vocals. They seemed to be so universally adored that I convinced myself I must be missing something here.
I actually bought a Dog Eat Dog album because they were on Roadrunner, some lad from Obituary wore one of their t-shirts in a music video, and they were thanked by Sepultura in the liner notes of Chaos AD. So they must have been OK, yeah?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:10 pm 

When I was a kid getting into rock music I bought Motley Crue's first album because I had heard they were like Guns n Roses, couldn't get past Vince Neil's vocals, just shite.

That was probably my first disappointing purchase, I actually have a box of disappointing purchases I bought as a kid/teen, the Motley Crue album is in there somewhere, always listen before I buy nowadays :lol:.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 pm 

Juggz, your writing was epic. You really conveyed your feelings eloquently.

I didn't buy this, but re. "Dance of death" - the cover should have put everyone off. There's no real excuse if you bought based on the cover.

Mine:
Maiden - Virtual XI
Joe Satriani - Joe Satriani. Too young to get it at the time. Now I realise how good that album really is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 pm 

Stop shitting on Dance of Death, it's their best album after the 80's stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:07 pm 

Slayer - Diabolus in Musica
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha

The crown prince of disappointing purchases has to be Midian by Cradle Of Filth. I had to listen to it three times to believe how shite it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:21 pm 

Around 1993,i was getting into the heavier side of things,i was after discovering the Florida and Swedish dm bands etc.I bought Dokken 'back for the attack' based on the Logo and cover, thinking it might be death metal!,fuck me i got some land when i got home!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 pm 

Paul keohane wrote:
Around 1993,i was getting into the heavier side of things,i was after discovering the Florida and Swedish dm bands etc.I bought Dokken 'back for the attack' based on the Logo and cover, thinking it might be death metal!,fuck me i got some land when i got home!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:24 am 

I like reinventing the Steel and Brave New World

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:31 am 

Confessor-Condemned

Couldn't believe my ears what i was listening to on first spin, first the rediculous drum mix and then the vocals.
I get what they're trying to do, its well played, but no, just no....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 am 

Some classic albums being mentioned.

Transylvanian hunger , onward to golgotha and Confessor condemned all amazing albums in their own right.

No accounting for taste.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 am 

Brave New World's their best post Seventh Son album ffs. No Prayer fits in here for me, now that was a disappointing purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:19 pm 

Meathook seed - b.i.b.l.e for me. Sticker on the cover said 'featuring members of obituary and napalm death'. That's got to a beast of an album thought i. Oh. Oh what have i just bought

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next