Back
  Gaming

Page: Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 216  Next

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 pm 

skadk666 wrote:
Fifa 18 day one install is gonna be about 50GB I heard. Its getting mental alright but when you look at what people expect in the form of graphics and how big they want their games, this is to be expected and its only going to get bigger before some new technology comes out and enables reduced storage size for bigger, better games.

the next gen of tech will have to be terrifyingly futuristic. I can see there will have to be a bottleneck between cost, broadband,culture, technology et al sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm 

Looking like virtual reality games are gather a lot of steam so that could be the next big thing. Retro gaming in 10 years could be playing a game on a screen. Or it could go the way of motion controls.

Saving to get a VR headset given Skyrim is being given the VR treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 pm 

Andy82 wrote:
Looking like virtual reality games are gather a lot of steam so that could be the next big thing. Retro gaming in 10 years could be playing a game on a screen. Or it could go the way of motion controls.

yes within a decade or so, having anything more than an ultrafast wifi with a quantum harddrive set at 1000tb will be retro...anything other than a universal medium between mind/brain, and VR will be ...quaint...Is it ok Im not really enthusiastic about it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm 

I dont think its that grim. In fairness the speed at which technology is obsolete has slowed down compared to 10 - 15 years ago. With quicker Wifi/internet the need to have a high powered computer at home will decrease also.

For gaming I think there are sites out there that allow you to play games using high graphic settings and it just streams the picture to your system. So you just need a good internet connection and can make use of remote hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:43 pm 

Andy82 wrote:

Really? VR from my perspective is barely scraping by. I can see it muddling through as a niche thing, but can't see standard display tech being superseded by it, well, ever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 am 

Was just speculating. Could be a slow burner with the current gen stuff being laughable in a few years due to the improvements....or it could go the way of motion controllers and die off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 am 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
Andy82 wrote:

Really? VR from my perspective is barely scraping by. I can see it muddling through as a niche thing, but can't see standard display tech being superseded by it, well, ever.

screens will go, methinks. Controllers too. it'll be vr goggles/implant, with the option of a superhires display hologram for parties maybe or whatever...maybe the government will insist that games have the option of 'nonintegral' visuals, aka games have to at least potentially be playable without googles or an implant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:29 pm 

I doubt that very much. Games are a mass market entertainment product, they rely on the most common display and input technologies so publishers and platform holders can get them into the hands of as many people - kids, adults, whatever as easily as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:31 pm 

I agree with skyr. I think what's he's talking about is still miles away yet but will definitely happen. Those technologies will eventually be widely available and affordable and then maybe in like 15-20 years it'll be the standard.

Handheld controllers, looking at flat screens will eventually seem archaic just like handheld mobile phones will.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm 

I can see there being a speciation moment coming up...in fact it's sort of happening now. There'll be a fatal split between humans willing to become/pretend to be/act like machines, and economically marginalised slave caste doing some basic labour to maintain whatever physical infrastructure remains to support the lifestyle of machinelike humans and humanlike machines.

It sounds farfetched but you can already see the start of this split in the pet peeves thread where people are describing the really bizarre jobs market at the moment...and if you think it's bad now it's only going to get worse :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:32 pm 

on a more mundane level:

a: what do you guys think about hd to 4k upscaling hdmi cables?

b: what is the best affordable 4k oled tv for casual gaming?

3: if I have a 360 already what are the benefits if any of buying a 2nd hand ps3?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm 

skyr wrote:
on a more mundane level:

a: what do you guys think about hd to 4k upscaling hdmi cables?

b: what is the best affordable 4k oled tv for casual gaming?

3: if I have a 360 already what are the benefits if any of buying a 2nd hand ps3?

A. Snake oil, plain and simple. Even if you got a decent image out of it (which you won't), it'll introduce latency to the image and controller response. And HDMI cables that are marketed as "better for 4k" are also snake oil. I had my PS4 Pro hooked up to my brother's 4k TV using a cable I bought in HMV for 4 quid in 2008.

B. I don't know about the best TV, but if you're using it for "casual gaming", then a 4k set is a complete waste of money. Unless you intend to hook up a PS4 Pro, an Xbox 1 X or a decent spec PC to it, there's no point, especially if you are staying with the 360 and PS3 - basically these consoles can't output at 4k and there's no 4k content available for them. If you do intend to get a 4k system at some point, you could future-proof yourself with a 4k set now, but if you're not planning on upgrading your systems for a while, then wait to buy a 4k TV as they are always improving and coming down in price.

C. PS3 has slightly poorer multiplatform games in terms of graphics (but you've probably played most of them already on 360), but usually better quality audio. The exclusive games tend to look spectacular and there's a great selection of them that you wouldn't have got on 360 - Uncharted 2, God of War 3, The Last of Us (one of my favourite games of all time), Wipeout HD/Fury, Ratchet and Clank, Beyond, Motorstorm, The Puppeteer, Gran Turismo (6, preferably), Guilty Gear Xrd off the top of my head. There's plenty of games on the PSN store too, and they're a fraction of the size of modern games (in terms of the amount of data you'd need to download) . If you're into your films/TV shows, the PS3 is also a very good Bluray player, and you can also store video and music files on it and watch/listen straight off the console. Sorry I sold mine, was a great piece of kit!

Oh and the pad has a built in battery (that last ages) that you charge via mini USB, but some people hate the shape of it... I liked it because I've small hands :lol: The triggers are much worse than the 360 pad, but the d-pad is much better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:28 pm 

Got a wedge of PSN credit for my birthday a few weeks back and picked up Superhot today. Fucking cool stuff, really unique FPS/puzzle game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:58 pm 

Got myself TESV: Skyrim Special Edition recently, about a month ago - 6 years late to the party at this stage, but really enjoying it - and so far, only about two 'arrow in the knee' comments. Loving the fuck out of shouting people off of mountaintops.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:22 am 

If it's your cup of tea you're sorted for gaming for the next year or two :lol:

Page: Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 216  Next