Back
  Gaming

Page: Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 215  Next

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:22 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
skyr wrote:
on a more mundane level:

a: what do you guys think about hd to 4k upscaling hdmi cables?

b: what is the best affordable 4k oled tv for casual gaming?

3: if I have a 360 already what are the benefits if any of buying a 2nd hand ps3?

A. Snake oil, plain and simple. Even if you got a decent image out of it (which you won't), it'll introduce latency to the image and controller response. And HDMI cables that are marketed as "better for 4k" are also snake oil. I had my PS4 Pro hooked up to my brother's 4k TV using a cable I bought in HMV for 4 quid in 2008.

B. I don't know about the best TV, but if you're using it for "casual gaming", then a 4k set is a complete waste of money. Unless you intend to hook up a PS4 Pro, an Xbox 1 X or a decent spec PC to it, there's no point, especially if you are staying with the 360 and PS3 - basically these consoles can't output at 4k and there's no 4k content available for them. If you do intend to get a 4k system at some point, you could future-proof yourself with a 4k set now, but if you're not planning on upgrading your systems for a while, then wait to buy a 4k TV as they are always improving and coming down in price.

C. PS3 has slightly poorer multiplatform games in terms of graphics (but you've probably played most of them already on 360), but usually better quality audio. The exclusive games tend to look spectacular and there's a great selection of them that you wouldn't have got on 360 - Uncharted 2, God of War 3, The Last of Us (one of my favourite games of all time), Wipeout HD/Fury, Ratchet and Clank, Beyond, Motorstorm, The Puppeteer, Gran Turismo (6, preferably), Guilty Gear Xrd off the top of my head. There's plenty of games on the PSN store too, and they're a fraction of the size of modern games (in terms of the amount of data you'd need to download) . If you're into your films/TV shows, the PS3 is also a very good Bluray player, and you can also store video and music files on it and watch/listen straight off the console. Sorry I sold mine, was a great piece of kit!

Oh and the pad has a built in battery (that last ages) that you charge via mini USB, but some people hate the shape of it... I liked it because I've small hands :lol: The triggers are much worse than the 360 pad, but the d-pad is much better.

cool man, appreciate the feedback...sounds like a ps3 2nd hand is a worthy addition to an xbox360...Im still a little headwrecked by working out upscaling cables and the upscaling tech in new oled 4k tvs...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:48 pm 

Been playing 'This War of Mine' all weekend on the xbox1. A simple but fantatsic game that sucks you in and before you know it is 2:30 in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:27 pm 

Anyone picking up a SNES Mini? I know I could Raspberry Pi it and I've been running SNES9X on Windows for over 10 years now, but it'll be nice to have a low powered device that just sits at the T.V. Ooohhh, plus you get two propped Snes pads with it.

Seen a teardown article, it looks to have the same innards as the NES Mini and apparently has already had other Snes ROMs dumped to it, so that's nifty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:33 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
Anyone picking up a SNES Mini? I know I could Raspberry Pi it and I've been running SNES9X on Windows for over 10 years now, but it'll be nice to have a low powered device that just sits at the T.V. Ooohhh, plus you get two propped Snes pads with it.

Seen a teardown article, it looks to have the same innards as the NES Mini and apparently has already had other Snes ROMs dumped to it, so that's nifty

I'm tempted to pick one up alright.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 am 

Cannot fucking wait it is about time they released this :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8yTGUeHYk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 am 

does anyone have any tips for the best tv for retro gaming,semimodern gaming, and dvd/bluray viewing?

I'm mindful that older games and tv shows and 'found footage' will get really blurry or need to be upscaled so I'm looking for a 4k small tv that won't fuck up stuff that's just a dvd from 2002, or a megadrive game or whathaveyou...

Last edited by skyr on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 pm 

Any console older than PS2/Gamecube/Original Xbox will look like dogshot plugged into a modern TV (even at that, those consoles have to be plugged in via component cables and decent/official ones are getting harder and harder to source).

The few heads that I know that play retro consoles regularly keep an old school CRT for that purpose alone.

They're a legal grey area of course, but running emulators like SNES9X and Kega Fusion are the handiest way to get a decent image for old games on a modern TV. SNES Mini certainly looks good!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:09 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
Any console older than PS2/Gamecube/Original Xbox will look like dogshot plugged into a modern TV (even at that, those consoles have to be plugged in via component cables and decent/official ones are getting harder and harder to source).

The few heads that I know that play retro consoles regularly keep an old school CRT for that purpose alone.

They're a legal grey area of course, but running emulators like SNES9X and Kega Fusion are the handiest way to get a decent image for old games on a modern TV. SNES Mini certainly looks good!

my megadrive and ps2 look decent on a 1080p lcd. if you can get good cables etc. Really I want a 22" 4k tv, cos the small screen will counteract the blurriness from increased pixeldepth...but noone makes small 4k tv screens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:
Completed this last night and glad to say Resident Evil is back the way it should be. Lets hope if/when 8 comes out they keep it the same.
Cleared it in 13 and a half hours which does seem kinda short and there really wasn't anything difficult holding me back but by golly did I enjoy the ride.

completed resi 7 last week. my first full play through of any of the series. highly recommended for the frights
play in the dark only, headphones :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm 

Amazing game. have had a couple of play throughs myself and enjoyed the DLC so far. More DLC coming in December which I'm looking forward too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm 

I'm tinking of buying a component to hdmi upscaler for my ps2- does anyone have experience with upscaling ps2 stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 pm 

skyr wrote:
I'm tinking of buying a component to hdmi upscaler for my ps2- does anyone have experience with upscaling ps2 stuff?

Man you're obsessed with upscaling :lol:

Upscaled PS2 games will look like donkey shit and it'll probably introduce horrendous input lag to boot.

If you have the PS2 hooked up over component (with decent cables) that's as good as you'll get.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
skyr wrote:

Man you're obsessed with upscaling :lol:

Upscaled PS2 games will look like donkey shit and it'll probably introduce horrendous input lag to boot.

If you have the PS2 hooked up over component (with decent cables) that's as good as you'll get.

Im totally into coaxing out as much life from older consoles as possible. It's just my thing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:20 am 

Anyone here playing tekken 7?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:00 am 

Baal wrote:
Anyone here playing tekken 7?

Had it launch and loved it (binned it in favor of Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. 2 as I've played more Tekken over the years than I've had hot dinners).

Feels like a proper sequel to 5 (thought 6 was awful). Quite enjoyed Kasumi's moveset and was really surprised how well Akuma worked. Isn't Geese from King of Fighters in it now too?

Page: Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 215  Next