Back
  The Tube
    
Page: Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160  Next



Joined:
Jun 2015
Posts:
1114
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 am 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
Good season alright, the best since Archer Vice. Still themed, this one was a standalone, Danger Island. Set just after the Second World War, on a tropical island with an Indiana Jones-esque macguffin hunt. Final moments set up the next, themed season too.


2 episodes in and I'm bored already. It's pretty much from the season where he runs away and the guy comes to get him in 'ould Lucy goosey' and then they end up on the pirate island etc etc


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Apr 2012
Posts:
556
Location:
Cork City
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 am 

Recently watched;

The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel - enjoyable fluff.

Bosch Season 1 - Not bad, a bit over-acted. Gonna watch S2 anyway.

Wild, Wild Country - mental shit. Spent a bit of time thinking on this one afterwards. Was O'Sho just gentle soul whose followers corrupted his teachings or was he as guilty as the rest?

Evil Genius - Like Making A Murderer, The Jinx etc., hard to believe that stuff like this happens.

The Looming Tower - very enjoyable.

The Americans final season - excellent all the way to the end.

Bobby Kennedy For President - high quality 4-part documentary from Netflix.

Currently watching;

Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's The Vietnam War - Only watched the first episode. Incredible stuff.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
3643
Location:
dublin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 am 

StoutAndAle wrote:
Wild, Wild Country - mental shit. Spent a bit of time thinking on this one afterwards. Was O'Sho just gentle soul whose followers corrupted his teachings or was he as guilty as the rest?



That was such a let down for me. The premise behind it seemed interesting but I couldn't make it to the last episode because it was so boring to watch. You're right that it leaves you thinking afterwards, but mostly because it doesn't bother to try answer any of the questions it raises.

Their choice of people to interview was even worse. They both fell into two camps. In one camp you've the towns people who obviously didn't like having a cult next door. In the other, you've people who made off very well after the events (all the people who supported the movement now peddle their own self help retreats/programs). They couldn't find one or two independents? They couldn't find one or two people who left the camp?


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jan 2008
Posts:
1853
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 pm 

If anyone is interested in something along the same rough premise as Wild Wild Country, ESPN did a podcast series about the similarly fucked up Bikram yoga community. How people get sucked into this kind of thing is beyond me.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
7424
Location:
Brizzbinn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:11 pm 

great season finale to S2 of Handmaid's Tale last night!


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1583
Location:
castlebar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 am 

DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
great season finale to S2 of Handmaid's Tale last night!


Only started season 2 but it's still class.

Here's a controversial one. Archer is terrible. I've watched loads of episodes to give it a go and I hate it. For cartoon comedy I'll stick with Rick and Morty.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Sep 2011
Posts:
4875
Location:
footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 am 

First re-watch of Love/Hate, first watch with a non-native (lots of pausing to explain all the Dublin slaggings). Only in the middle of Season 2, not quite to where it gets genuinely excellent yet, but enjoying it more than the first time round so far since my expectations for Season 1 were rock bottom this time :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Dec 2010
Posts:
76
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:31 am 

ollkiller wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
Here's a controversial one. Archer is terrible. I've watched loads of episodes to give it a go and I hate it. For cartoon comedy I'll stick with Rick and Morty.



I think it's one of those shows that you either really like, or really don't. I love the banter between the characters, how they're always putting each other down. I've seen a few episodes from this new season and I'm not really into it...
I really enjoyed the last season, Archer Vice is still my fave though!

I've only seen some random episodes of Rick and Morty, but yeah it's funny as fuck!


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2015
Posts:
1114
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm 

Metalhead Fred wrote:
ollkiller wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
Here's a controversial one. Archer is terrible. I've watched loads of episodes to give it a go and I hate it. For cartoon comedy I'll stick with Rick and Morty.


I think it's one of those shows that you either really like, or really don't. I love the banter between the characters, how they're always putting each other down. I've seen a few episodes from this new season and I'm not really into it...
I really enjoyed the last season, Archer Vice is still my fave though!

I've only seen some random episodes of Rick and Morty, but yeah it's funny as fuck!


I really loved Archer. The first 5 seasons are pretty solid, started to drop off after that. Season 8 was the clincher for me, total shit show and season 9 is equally as boring. So far it's just rewrite/longer version of a previous episode set in the past/themed.

I tried Rick & Morty a few times but just did nothing for me. Listening to people in work going on about 'it's pickle rickle' or something like that and I'm just staring blankly at them :?


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2005
Posts:
9161
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm 

Watching Strange Angel, the series based on Jack Parsons at the moment. Two episodes in and a bit iffy about it but sure we'll see where it goes. The occult element is being handled with a tad too much mozarella for me.

Had a goo of the first episode of Sharp Objects as well which was cool. Amy Adams. Based on a Gillian Flynn novel (which means nothing to me) but seems like there's a bit of a True Detective/Twin Peaks vibe to it.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1583
Location:
castlebar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm 

Nagrenol wrote:
Metalhead Fred wrote:
ollkiller wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
Here's a controversial one. Archer is terrible. I've watched loads of episodes to give it a go and I hate it. For cartoon comedy I'll stick with Rick and Morty.


I think it's one of those shows that you either really like, or really don't. I love the banter between the characters, how they're always putting each other down. I've seen a few episodes from this new season and I'm not really into it...
I really enjoyed the last season, Archer Vice is still my fave though!

I've only seen some random episodes of Rick and Morty, but yeah it's funny as fuck!


I really loved Archer. The first 5 seasons are pretty solid, started to drop off after that. Season 8 was the clincher for me, total shit show and season 9 is equally as boring. So far it's just rewrite/longer version of a previous episode set in the past/themed.

I tried Rick & Morty a few times but just did nothing for me. Listening to people in work going on about 'it's pickle rickle' or something like that and I'm just staring blankly at them :?


"I'm Pickle Rick". That episode is fucking amazing. Totally demented in the best possibly way. Took me about 4 episodes to get into it but once your hooked there's no going back.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2006
Posts:
654
Location:
Galway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:56 pm 

I'm the opposite, I found Rick And Morty collossally unfunny, whereas Archer seasons 1-5 and 9 are fantastic. 9 is definitely not up to the standard of those early seasons but is still a vast improvement on the previois ones.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
3397
Location:
In space, no-one can hear you smeg.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:06 pm 

I was delighted to find out that The Expanse has been picked up by Amazon for a 4th season, after hearing it would be cancelled after the 3rd.

Any other fans here? 'Tis properly excellent, well written and developed sci-fi.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
May 2011
Posts:
3640
Location:
Limerick
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:53 pm 

Ya, it's a really good show. Much more depth to it than the usual stuff.

Speaking of depth, I could have done with a good half an hour of a "Previously On Westworld...."


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Jun 2006
Posts:
2564
Location:
www.irishmetalarchive.com/
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 am 

The Expanse is fantastic. Best Sci-Fi in yonks. Can't fault it.


Top
 Profile   
 

Page: Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160  Next



 

cron