Back
  Books & Bookmen

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 111  Next

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:27 am 

I always thought a thread for discussing books would be a worthy addition here. So here goes.

Lee Child - Nothing To Lose.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:30 am 

just finishing tommyland, the tommy lee autobiography in about half an hour, a bit self indulgent but an entertaining read nonetheless.
going to be starting divorcing jack - colin bateman this afternoon, i wholeheartedly seuggest anyone who has any interest in dark humour to get into this guy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:31 am 

Things the Grandchildren Should Know
Mark Oliver Everett (E from Eels)

It's an autobiography, well written and genuinely interesting even if you are not a fan of the band (though I am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 am 

Reading the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant at the minute, only just started it so not too sure what to think of it yet. Anyone read it before?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:38 am 

Naked Lunch - Burroughs

It's taking me a while to get through this, flew through Cities of the Red Night but I'm taking it slowly with this one to try and delve underneath the murky surface and see if things become clearer or murkier. Fascinating appendix to it with Burroughs sending a letter to a Narcotics Advisory Bureau telling of his vast and varied experience with drugs, explaining things way back in 1959 which you'll still to this day see as 'amazing revelations' in those pseudo-scientific bulletins in newspapers around the world.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:39 am 

Dj-Nemesis wrote:
Reading the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant at the minute, only just started it so not too sure what to think of it yet. Anyone read it before?

I read five of them I think. Pretty good storyline...keep a dictionary to hand, he loves the obscure words and loves using them over and over again...fey and anile being two that I still remember him using constantly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:45 am 

Era VulgaChris wrote:
Naked Lunch - Burroughs

It's taking me a while to get through this, flew through Cities of the Red Night but I'm taking it slowly with this one to try and delve underneath the murky surface and see if things become clearer or murkier. Fascinating appendix to it with Burroughs sending a letter to a Narcotics Advisory Bureau telling of his vast and varied experience with drugs, explaining things way back in 1959 which you'll still to this day see as 'amazing revelations' in those pseudo-scientific bulletins in newspapers around the world.

Seen the Cronenberg film? After that i'm not sure if i'll like the book.

Reading Galilee by Clive Barker at the mo. It's different than his usual fare, incredibly expansive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:48 am 

Era VulgaChris wrote:
Dj-Nemesis wrote:

I read five of them I think. Pretty good storyline...keep a dictionary to hand, he loves the obscure words and loves using them over and over again...fey and anile being two that I still remember him using constantly.

Ah but intellects like me have no problem with a good use of the English language. Its just the commonfolk of society like you who can't manage with these words. :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:50 am 

I've just finished 'Tender is the Night' by F. Scott Fitzgerald for the course I'm doing in college. Really enjoyed it for what it was, the division in the middle works very well, though I can't believe some later editions actually rearranged the layout so it all unfolds chronologically, thus losing all the mystery. Bah!

Just about to start 'The Importance of Being Earnest'. Last book I read that wasn't for college was Anthony Beavor's 'The Spanish Civil War'. Bit of a struggle, especially at the start, but he still did a very good job of explaining one of the most mind-bogglingly complex conflicts of all time.

All time favorite book is probably Moby Dick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 am 

Dj-Nemesis wrote:
Era VulgaChris wrote:
Dj-Nemesis wrote:

Ah but intellects like me have no problem with a good use of the English language. Its just the commonfolk of society like you who can't manage with these words. :P

Us poor indigent folk and our dearth of verbosity. Woe be us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 am 

I am currently reading "Redemption Falls" by Joseph O'Connor. It's very good so far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:59 am 

Recently finished:

Yukio Mishima - Sun and Steel, The Temple of the Golden Pavillion
Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment
Cormac McCarthy - The Road

Currently:

Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian (not as good as The Road, overly wordy)

Next:

Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men, maybe The Border Trilogy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:00 pm 

Just finished American Psycho, MUCH better than the film. Just started World War Z, an entertaining read so far.

Recently read The Devil Rides Out as well, would highly recommend it, Wheatley is a brilliant author!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:04 pm 

Dj-Nemesis wrote:

Read the first six when I was younger, enjoyed them more than Lord Of The Rings at the time, but a lot of it probably went over my head. It gets better as one gets into it, the beginning was a bit slow, IIRC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 pm 

Era VulgaChris wrote:
Dj-Nemesis wrote:
Era VulgaChris wrote:
Dj-Nemesis wrote:

Us poor indigent folk and our dearth of verbosity. Woe be us.

Its ok Chris, come back to Ireland and I'll give you a few lessons to increase your......wordiness :lol:

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 111  Next