Back
  graphic novels (ok...comics)

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 78  Next

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:29 pm 

I know theres a book thread but I reckon this is slightly different.
So who here's into graphics and which ones are you reading and which ones do you recommend?
im really gotten into Robert Kirkmans Walking Dead series. Picked up volume one on a hunch a year or 2 back and bloody glad i did. volume 8 due out any day now.

And i guess i should mention Preacher! Northern Irelands greatest contribution to literature i reckon.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:53 pm 

preacher is the dogs bollix alrite!now if any graphic novel shud be a film its got to be preacher....id hopr ta fuck cassidy wudnt b played by,mr shity irish accent colin farrell,but on another note the batman; hush a dark knight and all the rest are superb!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:06 pm 

I reckon a tv series would be a better way to do preacher justice although i imagine the censors would butcher it. Gareth Ennis cant seem to go two pannels without calling someone a 'motherfucking cocksucking motherfucker'.
Good call on Hush, defintly one of the best batman stories ive read in a long time. Ever check out Moores 'killing joke'? Heath Ledger was given a copy of it when rehersing for the Dark knight.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:25 pm 

Was thinking of starting a thread about this. Batman is by far my favourite. Long Halloween and Dark Victory ar amazing. Also Hellblazer is quite good. I have the first 6 graphic novels that contain the first story arc. Been meaning to get more for the last few months. Preacher is quite good too. Only read the first 3 though. Also the 30 Days of Night comics are among my favs. I only have the first 3 though. Got them a few years ago in Subcity in Duberland and was blown away by the artwork.

Also the Age of Apocalypse deserves a mention to say the least! Great stuff! I have the 4 graphic novels that collects the whole saga. Dam expensive though. Was around €34 a book.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:03 pm 

from hell

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 pm 

Anything Alan Moore is involved in is quality.

BUT my vote will always go to Sandman. Nothing comes close, Preacher is good but it's also pretty juvenile in some places. I'm probably disadvantaged in only reading it at 26 but I just thought there were some places were a more mature approach would have taken it to a much higher level.

The depth of study and research and reference in Sandman is incredible though...highly, highly addictive, amazing and varied artwork and such good stories. Neil Gaiman ist krieg.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:15 am 

kunt 4 life wrote:
Ever check out Moores 'killing joke'? Heath Ledger was given a copy of it when rehersing for the Dark knight.

that is a brilliant g.n joker is very disturbing, even for himself!Another great batman is Arkham Asylum,artwork is out of this world, really strange stuff,really sucks you in. as for preacher,well i can just see the censors haveing a kiniption when our man tells the sheriff to ....Go fuck yourself :lol: :lol: imature maybe but funny as all hell!!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:58 pm 

I've a pretty big Batman graphic novel collection, don't really bother with the normal comics. Favourites would be Arkham Asylum, Night Cries, The Dark Knight Returns, and Killing Joke. Any of the Elseworld stuff is fairly mental. But yeah I'm a bit of a Batman nerd.

I'd also go for Neil Gaimans Sandman Collection, anything by Moore esp. the Swampthing saga.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:41 pm 

Hellblazer and Preacher and Sandman arethe best for me. I'm a big fan of a lot of the Vertigo released comics/graphic novels.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:38 am 

The Alien Vs Predator graphic novels are class. Shame they had to go & fuck it all up by making two totally sheeeeeeite films about them. They couldve done so much with them! :x The recent enough wolverine series is excellent too love the artwork for the first one, second ones abit dodgy but a good story none the less.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:08 pm 

For me, nothing can touch Alan Moore's Watchmen. It seemed to transcend the medium.

After that i'm a huge fan of 30 Days of Night, Preacher, Marshall Law, Batman (Knightfall, Arkham Asylum, Venom, Killing Joke etc), Spawn, Barker's new The Great And Secret Show series, and Judge Dredd. The Dredd/Batman crossovers Die Laughing & Judgement in Gotham were some of the most beautifully rendered comics i've ever seen. Looks like Simon Bisley's style too, not sure.

The only bitter disappointments I had reading comics were the Evil Dead and Re-Animator (and the crossover series) ones. Boring shite, and me being a big fan of both franchises trumped (chumped) for them all.

Would you believe i've never read a single thing by Gaiman. I never expected to like it for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:25 pm 

Never expected to like it!?!?!?

The man's a leg-end, well and truly. Fair enough what they've made of his work on film so far hasn't quite worked out but really, and admittedly I'd say just about anything to defend him, I don't think he can really be blamed for the shortcomings.

Get a hold of the first Sandman book, Preludes & Nocturnes...easily as good as any of Moore's work if not, in my opinion, better.

Also read Good Omens the collaboration novel he did with Pratchett about 15 years ago; dark as fuck and some of the best gallows humour ever put to print.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:43 pm 

Totally, Sandman is one of the best comics I've ever read, especially the Season of Mist. Incredible stuff. His Marvel 1602 series was pretty good too. Features a bunch of marvel superheros but set in Victorian London, takes a while to figure out who some of the characters are.

Neil Gaimans novels on the other hand have been very hit and miss. Neverwhere was great, dont want to see the TV series though. Bad omens was all right too. American Gods had its moments, great concept but it was a bit meh. Smoke and mirrors & Anansi's boys were by no means terrible, but not that memorable at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:49 pm 

I can't explain why I thought that. Back in the day when I was huge into comics and such I just thought Sandman appeared to lack any action from the bit of flicking through it I managed. I would have been Judge Dredd mental at the time. It was only later as I got out of my teens that I started to appreciate dialogue and plot as much as if not more than art and set pieces (thanks to Watchmen), so I think I might try that sometime alright, cheers. Have Mirrormask at home, which I hear is not a good referral to Gaiman's level of talent.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:51 pm 

Prolonged Spumesence wrote:
His Marvel 1602 series was pretty good too. Features a bunch of marvel superheros but set in Victorian London, takes a while to figure out who some of the characters are.

Twas the last GN I read actually, forgot it was by him. Good read! There are two Gaiman films coming out soon in case ye didn't know...Death: The High Cost Of Living and Coraline.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 78  Next