Back
  graphic novels (ok...comics)

Page: Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:57 pm 

Have sailed the vasty depths of the interweb's ocean to plunder anew, and dig up some oldies - namely Grant Morrison's runs on Doom Patrol and Animal Man. Will report back in due course - have heard varying reports on both, but most people say it's some of his best work on DC - have liked a lot of his metafictional storylines with other work. The Invisibles was great.

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:35 pm 

New graphic novel just out, 'Aleister & Adolf'... has my interest piqued anyway!

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/alei ... and_magica

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 pm 

Anybody at Enniskillen Comic Fest this weekend? Very 2000AD centric, as it was part of the 40th anniversary celebrations, but well worth it. Some brilliant guests, John Wagner, Alan Grant, Carlos Ezquerra, Cam Kennedy, Glenn Fabry to name but a few.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 am 

I would have went, but I was away - what was it like? Much of a crowd?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

Pretty good. Bit weird the way some of the stands were hidden amongst the museum exhibits, though.

Decent attendance for Friday night's panel. There wasn't a huge crowd by the time I got there on Saturday, but that was after 4pm. Totally forgot Maiden was playing that day til Cam Kennedy asked me was I not going to see them. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:57 pm 

Marvel at the moment are continuing to dig themselves a deeper hole with the 'Captain America being a Hydra mole all along' storyline. Been a long time Marvel fan, but Secret Empire and the whole mess leading up to it has really been a dirge of a plot. There has been some good stuff, but it's been few and far between - and right now there's at least two dead (soon to return (again) ) major heroes as a result of Civil War II - Hulk(Banner) and Iron Man (Stark).
Hope there's someone there at Marvel who can turn round the tsunami of bullshit going on at the moment.

Saga's still great though. As are Warren Ellis's Trees and Injection.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:01 am 

I read the first issue of that where the whole Hail Hydra thing happens, has it progressed much? I know they'll Cosmic Cube it out of existence or something, but is it worth reading?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:29 am 

Dark Stranger wrote:
I read the first issue of that where the whole Hail Hydra thing happens, has it progressed much? I know they'll Cosmic Cube it out of existence or something, but is it worth reading?

Not really, it seems to be just another in a long line of "Event Comics" that Marvel keep shoving at readers - and yeah, you know it's all going to get turned around somehow. As you rightly say, a (sentient) Cosmic Cube was the source of all this and it'll eventually get undone. At least the Thunderbolts stuff is still good as well as a few other series, but the constant tie-ins welded to the Nazi Cap story are exhausting. Solo series unconnected to the current story seem to be where it's at - Black Widow's solo is very good, as is The Vision, Scarlet Witch and oddly enough, I found Gwenpool to be pretty fun.

Nearly thinking about dropping Marvel for a while and switching to DC - heard the DC Rebirth stuff is going well for them.

Have actually been going back to the 70's/80's era of Marvel more than the current crop. I've been reading the Kirby classic Eternals series (which is basically the New Gods storyline for Marvel) - great stuff. And a lot of 80's Claremont X-Men.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:57 pm 

Had a look at the first issue of a new Garth Ennis comic - Jimmy's Bastards. Ennis seems to be returning to Gonzo Ennis mode ala Preacher/The Boys... it's a complete pisstake of the James Bond mythos with a load of Ennis affrontery, jabs at the current state of things in the world etc. It's as Ennis as I've seen him in a while. Looks like he's having fun with this after some more serious fare like Red Team (which was basically his version of The Wire).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:33 pm 

Brilliant news - I have read every single thing he's done. 2000AD and all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 am 

Been a while since this thread has had a bump but here goes.

Picked up The Walking Dead volume 28 and after reading it I think its time for somebody to finish this series off.
The book felt alot thicker so I thought ah good, must be some big exciting stuff going on, loads of development etc.

27 ended with the biggest herd of zombies coming at them. thousands and thousands and it looked like Armageddon for them.

Then 28 starts and its "ok guys, lets get on the horses and thin this heard out". And half the book is this action scene of them running around, slicing heads and leaidng them into the sea (which is no where near as exciting as it sounds). I was genuially bored reading the action bits, much like you can get bored with the action in a michael bayformers movie.
So much for this dangerous doom that spelled the end of them, they kinda handled without much hassel.
The last part is the talking scenes although Im now reaaly fed up with the pretentious philosophical Dawnsons creek style dialogue. theres a characetr death in it but I couldnt care for it as much as other charcters died like Dale, Abraham etc.

I think i'll wait til 29 is available second hand for a few quid and hope it improves. The days of me trying to get TWD as it first appears on the shelves is over.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:08 pm 

Hmm yeah, I think Kirkman is just stringing it out now.

Have been reading Brian K Vaughan's Paper Girls the last while - this guy can do no wrong IMO, Saga plus this are great stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 pm 

Indeed. I dug the Last Man and Saga is absoulty epic. I'll have to check this paper girls series then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:38 am 

Just caught up with Paper Girls over the past two nights - what a fantastic recommendation!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 pm 

Relatively large comics news - Brian Michael Bendis, writer and creator of procedural crime-superhero indie series Powers among other things but known mostly for a LOT of work at Marvel since 1999-2000, has jumped ship to DC. Wonder what led to that, but fair play, he's made a lot of good stuff I've enjoyed... and lot that was very much treading water. Also wonder if this isn't a massive sea change at Marvel editorial - will we see others leave like Dan Slott, Peter David, and the like. Can't see Joe Quesada leaving, he's there for life at this stage (still haven't forgiven him for Spider-Man - One More Day).

Page: Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next