Back
  Film II

Page: Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 139  Next

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 pm 

mattpikesteeth wrote:
Saw one called Dave Made a Maze there at the weekend. It's an indie throwback to those 80s adventure movies like Labyrinth and The Goonies. While his girlfriend is away for the weekend, this guy builds a wee cardboard fort in his living room. She comes back and shouts into him to come back out, he says he's lost inside, so she gets a load of friends round and they go in looking for him. On the inside, the fort is like a tardis and there's loads of traps and monsters trying to kill everyone and every room in the set is made entirely of cardboard.

Really inventive film, strong Michel Gondry vibes from it, it's really entertaining but runs into some pacing issues in the second half and some of the acting is a bit ropey but good craic all the same. Interesting to see what the director comes up with next.

is this online? Or were you lucky enough to see it in a cinema. Really want to see this

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:12 pm 

Got it off a private torrent tracker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:57 pm 

That new Power Rangers is depressingly bad. Its just the first Transformers movie but way way worse. All movies like this are the same these days, look awful, awful plot, awful acting. The movie with Ivan ooze is now a masterpiece compared to this shit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 pm 

Went to see Dunkirk at the theatre and came out happy enough. Probably best enjoyed for what it is; a visual spectacle and more of a sensory, gut-level presentation of the horrors of war rather than a traditional cinema storytelling with super-developed characters. I personally was not annoyed by the fact you never saw the enemy or stuck very long in one place, and thought the sense of impending danger and survival terror came across well. I can agree certain aspects of the ending were perhaps a bit corny, but I'd give it a 7.5/10 happily.

Edit: Also a good, rare example of an almost omnipresent score helping drive the film rather than work against it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 pm 

Out of pure morbid curiosity I decided to watch the last transformers movie that came out....

I honestly think I need to call the guards to report an assault on my childhood.. even though I did invite the perpetrator into my home!!! :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:34 pm 

Nagrenol wrote:
Out of pure morbid curiosity I decided to watch the last transformers movie that came out....

I honestly think I need to call the guards to report an assault on my childhood.. even though I did invite the perpetrator into my home!!! :?

You need an excuse not to watch Michael Bay movies? The guy's a total hack... the only half decent film he ever did was The Rock.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:49 pm 

Nail_Bombed wrote:
Nagrenol wrote:

You need an excuse not to watch Michael Bay movies? The guy's a total hack... the only half decent film he ever did was The Rock.

Watched the first one at the theatre back in the day, buggered if I can remember why... 90 minutes of my life I'd pay the entry fee again to get back.

Watched Okja on Netflix, and really liked it. I'm big on both the message and the story. Special FX are apparently a blend of old-school and CGI, with the latter being surprisingly tasteful and non-distracting. Really manages to infuse some real character on the creature. Tilda Swinton is as usual massive, and Paul Dano solid. Jake Gyllenhaal's character gets into some proper histrionics, but it didn't seem to bother me as much as it has others. I'd definitely recommend it. Anyone with even a bit of empathy towards animals will get some difficult but rewarding catharsis with those final 15 minutes.

Speaking of Dano... Love and Mercy. Compulsory watch for any fans or anyone remotely interested in Brian Wilson / Beach Boys. Dano and John Cussack both kill it as young / middle-aged Wilson. The film reportedly crops out some parts of the stories and slightly modifies others, which I guess is expected in a Hollywood, though I hear they worked fairly closely with the man and his family and the project had his seal of approval. The story is related thoughtfully and emotionally without entering corny terrain, and manages to convey the dread of mental breakdown not exactly helped by parental abuse and the offerings of the free love era. Huge attention to detail too in scenes like the recording of "Pet Sounds", with session musicians like Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye all properly characterized, even for the scarce few minutes they show up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 pm 

Got about a third of the way into baywatch before having to leave the room. Fully expected it to be bad, but it was so, so much worse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:09 pm 

In the cinema a half hour early for the 3D showing of Terminator 2. Expected it to be full. First ones here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:40 am 

And?

Was it any use? After the little teaser like that, I thought once you had seen it you'd be back?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 pm 

Juggz wrote:
And?

Was it any use? After the little teaser like that, I thought once you had seen it you'd be back?

As expected, it's not really a movie that lends itself to 3-D, however the opening sequence was done brilliantly. As was the scene where Sarah is dreaming about the playground being nuked. Other than that it was just the spectacle of seeing the movie on the big screen. Glad I did get there early in the end as it filled up pretty quick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:32 pm 

Valhalla Rising & Death Note lined up for tonight. Despite its scoring on online sites I've heard some great reviews for Valhalla Rising. Death Note I hear wasn't great.. could have been good but they went a dull route with it, going to check it out anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:09 pm 

Nagrenol wrote:
Death Note I hear wasn't great.. could have been good but they went a dull route with it, going to check it out anyway.

It's very Death Note lite. It starts off ok-ish, but obviously it leaves out a lot of stuff and it's very hard to build up tension in 100mins. Way too much emphasis on the love story rather than the catch me if you can relationship between Light and L. The ending lacked all sense of a suitable climax. Ryuk was done very well though, surprisingly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:32 pm 

Emphyrio wrote:
Nagrenol wrote:
Death Note I hear wasn't great.. could have been good but they went a dull route with it, going to check it out anyway.

It's very Death Note lite. It starts off ok-ish, but obviously it leaves out a lot of stuff and it's very hard to build up tension in 100mins. Way too much emphasis on the love story rather than the catch me if you can relationship between Light and L. The ending lacked all sense of a suitable climax. Ryuk was done very well though, surprisingly.

Pretty much nail on the head.. Ryuk looked great and was the only part I enjoyed.. brilliantly voiced by Willem Dafoe also.
The acting was pretty dire outside of the cgi character :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 pm 

oh yeah... IT is out on Friday :o

Page: Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 139  Next