Back
  Film II

Page: Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 153  Next

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 pm 

Slaughterday wrote:
Anyone ever visit Cinephilia and beyond? Great site for going in depth into films. Be warned though, the place is a serious rabbit hole once you get going.

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/want-live- ... barbarian/

Oh that's pretty cool, gona have a root around this. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 am 

Saw the new Star wars.. had it's moments, some great scenes, but it felt 'patchy'.
Tried to push comedy bits too much imo.
A lot of.. 'oh wait this happened in empire strikes back'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:45 pm 

Wathched one of my favourite movies Conan the Barbarian with Arnie last night. Just a perfect mix of score, action, plenty of quiet reflective parts, lots of bloodshed and humour where required. I say where required because I find humour in a lot of modern films often pops up at the wrong time. I think Han Solo in the original Star Wars probably had plenty of humorous parts during action sequences but that was his character. Now every cunt is a Hans Solo/Indy Jones character. I find it ruins movies tbh especially as it's often a type of smug, sarcastic, Friends/Big Bang Theory humour that has been done to death at this rate. It also often takes away from the menace of the action scenes or the evil characters. Thor or whoever just laughing around as he smashes the enemy, sure why bother watching at all?

I'd say the same with fight scenes. Everything is fucking Bourne Identity-esque these days. Some Aiki-jitsu/kung fu dance of death that again has had it's day. Bring back a few thumps and a head butt. It's not that interesting.

Rant over :)

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:45 pm 

Showed Conan to herself on Sunday too. It really is absolutely wonderful from start to finish. Has everything, as you say, in just the right doses.

"What do you see?"
"Uh, infinity!"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 pm 

Black Shepherd Carnage wrote:
Showed Conan to herself on Sunday too. It really is absolutely wonderful from start to finish. Has everything, as you say, in just the right doses.

"What do you see?"
"Uh, infinity!"

Haha brilliant, what a line. Arnie has revealed himself as a comic genius over the years. So many amazing one liners that I'd be surprised if he wasn't responsible for the majority of them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:29 pm 

Nagrenol wrote:
Saw the new Star wars.. had it's moments, some great scenes, but it felt 'patchy'.
Tried to push comedy bits too much imo.
A lot of.. 'oh wait this happened in empire strikes back'

Yep, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too. Need to see it again as there's a few bits didn't add up either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:02 am 

I'll give it a rewatch when a decent torrent comes out but I don't think it's going to make much difference.
There more I think about it the more I think they tried to go a bit guardians of the Galaxy with the comedy.

JJ Abrams is doing the final one, not sure why he didn't do this one also? Hopefully it won't be just rehashing the same scenes from the originals again!

I mean if there's fucking ewoks in this and ANOTHER giant death Star thing that has this one weakness to exploit.. I'm fucking done -_-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:56 am 

Saw The Last Jedi yesterday. It was fine. Some really cool "Star Wars" moments, and then some not so cool moments that really didn't fit with what I think is what we all know from the Star Wars saga.

Some very forced humour and overly long in the second act I thought. So overall it was grand.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:52 pm 

I haven't seen it yet so can't elaborate or comment on specifics, but wasn't there what you could call "forced humour" in the originals also? They always threw some clean comic relief in every now and then particularly scenes with the droids, Han and Chewbacca/Leia, Yoda and Luke. I guess the directors of the new ones feel that's as much a part of SW than anything else. Actually thought some of the humour in the last one was funnier than that of the original trilogy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 pm 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:
I haven't seen it yet so can't elaborate or comment on specifics, but wasn't there what you could call "forced humour" in the originals also? They always threw some clean comic relief in every now and then particularly scenes with the droids, Han and Chewbacca/Leia, Yoda and Luke. I guess the directors of the new ones feel that's as much a part of SW than anything else. Actually thought some of the humour in the last one was funnier than that of the original trilogy.

Indeed there has always been humour dotted throughout with some characters generally being nothing but comic relief. The comedy in The Force Awakens felt fine to me and genuinely funny. For The Last Jedi though, it just felt really shoehorned in at times and unnatural. With that said, I chuckled a good few times when the jokes and humour worked!

I should mention, most people I know didn't notice any of this and thoroughly enjoyed it!

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:10 pm 

Nasgul_Brian wrote:

Just watched the original trilogy over the weekend since herself had only seen the first one, and about 25 years ago at that, so homework before heading to the cinema for the new one this week. The only ones I could readily find for download were the post-1997 fiddled, remastered ones. These feature a lot more forced humour than the original theatrical versions did. Sure, the originals had some of that Lucas humour in them, just as the original Indiana Jones films did too. But it worked, it was well integrated in the mood of the scenes it was in, whereas the added/fiddled bits are quite simply gratuitous lumps of facile tickling thrown in for the kids. Slow kids at that. Will watch The Force Awakens again tomorrow and see directly whether the humour matches closer to the original or to the tacked on humour.

It goes without saying that all the "humour" in the prequels matches the tacked on kind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 pm 

I enjoyed it, but it just felt more and more like Ren and Hux are just turning into angrier versions of Dark Helmet and Colonel Sandurz.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:49 pm 

Just got back from seeing The Last Jedi. I enjoyed it mostly but they definitely could have trimmed the fat. Some of the stuff with the Rebels, like Finn's side story felt a bit Marvel-y, and not in a good way.

All of the stuff with Kylo Ren was great, which surprised me as I didn't like him that much in TFA, where he just seemed like an edgy emo kid without the mask on.

Also, that scene with Leia, is possibly the worst scene in Star Wars movie history.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 pm 

lemmyisgod wrote:
Also, that scene with Leia, is possibly the worst scene in Star Wars movie history.

No spoilers of course but I'm fairly sure I know what you are talking about.. and yes.. fucking stupid. Heard a few audible wtf's during it :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:43 am 

Nagrenol wrote:
I'm fairly sure I know what you are talking about.. and yes.. fucking stupid. Heard a few audible wtf's during it :roll:

Yeah that did reek of Sandra Bollocks in that abortion of a movie, Gravity. I definitely let loose an audible WTF during that scene the other night in Last Jedi.

Page: Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 153  Next