Back
  Headphones

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 am 

Needed a new pair for home use, playing guitar and for pc/gaming/movies etc

Planned on spending a bit to get a good set but my history with headphones isn't great. So did some checking and got the Audio Technica ATH-M20x's.
Arrived this morning and tested them out on pc/phone. Very impressed with them for 40 euros off Amazon. Was thinking of spending more on the higher versions of them but so far these seem to have been a good buy. Well happy with the thick cable on them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm 

Yeah I've heard the m20x/m30x/m40x are all amazing for the price.

Just bought the ATH-M50x's meself, they're great. Very good bass response and overall clarity is super. The third longer coiled cable it comes with is handy for plugging into an amp and how they fold up is pretty handy for portability. I have a pair of Senheisser Momentum in-ears too that I must fish out to compare the differences in sound.

All the research I did before I bought these may end up costly in the long run though. Already thinking of what I'm going to upgrade to next time :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm 

Half a notion of getting a set of headphones now I have a seat near the hi fi.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:22 pm 

Decided to bite the bullet and get a set of noise cancelling headphones for once.

Sony MDR100ABN. It's competing with Bose Quiet Comefort 35 and Sennheiser Momentum OTE. They cost about 130 eur less than the QC's and have a better sound stage IMO. Seriously comfy as well. Can easily keep them on my head for hours on end without any discomfort. Still prefer the Sennheiser HD280 pro soundwise but that's cause they are bass monsters with a lot of clarity.

Such a joy for the daily commute as well, it does a fairly good job at cancelling out the noise around me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 pm 

I've been getting into my "mid-fi" headphones and related gear recently. I've fallen down the rabbit hole of youtube reviews from places like HeadFi, Z Reviews and other audiophile channels.

I ended up buying a pair of 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT770s - they're the most popular set of studio cans on Thomann and get really great reviews. I'm really impressed with them - the sound signature is apparently "V Shaped" (treble and bass are pushed) but they sound quite neutral to me and it's like I'm hearing recordings the way they are supposed to sound. The bass is there in spades but it doesn't sound all horrible and boosted which seems to be the trend amongst the popular brands like Beats.

They are also really comfortable, I wear them for large parts of the day sat at a desk. The big coiled cabled is hefty too - this isn't something you would use on the go with a phone (though there is an 80 ohm version with a lighter, shorter cable).

Because they're 250 ohms, they need an amp to drive them. So, I bought this USB powered DAC/Amp from this deadly little company called Schiit Audio. They make this little silver box with a large volume knob called the Fulla 2 and it drives the cans very well. The Schiit gear is very nice - if I make a few quid in the near future, I would look into some of their nicer amps and DACs, and maybe even something that uses tubes.

I love the experience of listening to really familiar music and hearing new things. The next thing on the list is to check out open headphones - something like the Sennheiser HD600 is reviewed like it's the best open headphone before you start talking about crazy prices.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am 

I have a set of Sennheiser HD650's and will not be changing to anything else. Hands down the best headphones i've ever owned. Bit pricey but well worth the investment.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:24 pm 

Sonic Titan wrote:
I have a set of Sennheiser HD650's and will not be changing to anything else. Hands down the best headphones i've ever owned. Bit pricey but well worth the investment.

Sennheiser are generally excellent. Mine feel like a warm hug from a national concert hall.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 pm 

They are also made in Ireland.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:03 pm 

For anyone interested, it's worth keeping an eye out on Massdrop for the Sennheiser HD-6XX - they are identical to the 650s except for the colour of the headband and the cable length (and they are also made in Ireland). https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

When they are available - they come to about €180. The only thing with massdrop is that you order and then it'll be a few months before you get the end product. Worth it for the saving though.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4