Back
  The Horror Movie thread

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 am 

So, as mentioned in the Film II thread, seems like it might be cool to have a dedicated horror thread. I know there’s a bunch of fans of horror here so figured it’d be cool to have this to prevent stuff getting lost in the main thread.

If it matters, my own personal taste in horror tends towards the 70s/80s type "video nasty" stuff, but I'm always interested in modern stuff too.

Some recent viewing for me in the last wek or two

Here Comes The Devil: I’m lining up a couple more of Adrian Garcia Bolgiano’s previous films (Penumbra and Cold Sweat) to watch in the near future based on how much I enjoyed this. Basically the story of a young couple whose kids go missing overnight while on a weekend away, but are found the next day – only something isn’t right with them. A decent enough modern horror story but there’s a very cool 70’s element to the way it’s put together that I really enjoyed – that combination of sleaze, the supernatural and some amazing scenery. Not perfect but I’d happily recommend this to any horror fan, casual or obsessive, who hasn’t seen it yet. Cool ending too.

Would You Rather: Meh. Rich dude invites a bunch of strangers to his house to participate in a game where the winner stands to gain a lot of money. The catch is, they have to play a game a la the title – “would you rather stab the person next to you to death or be whipped for 5 mins”, ba bla bla. Crap.

August Underground: The first, and only one of these films I’ve ever watched, and I just rewatched it after reading an interview with Fred Vogel in the newest Gorezone. The only one of these extreme gore/found footage films that succeeds in actually being shocking to me really. I’m not a fan of the genre but the intercutting of these horrible torture scenes with footage of the lads driving around, going to gigs, doing utterly mundane stuff that still shows they’re clearly just psychos generally works in terms of making you feel like you are watching something really horrible. I’ve seen it twice, not made it to the end either time, and this film always puts me in bad form. So in a weird way, it succeeds in being a horror movie in its purest form.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 am 

I want my first post ITT to be this. Fuck I have to watch this again later actually

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 am 

can't see that in work Karl, what is it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am 

Fathers Day!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:49 am 

Ah cool. Definitely something I need to watch again.

I've "Thanatomorphose" and "Hidden in the Woods" lined up for this week, alongside "The Howling 2" which by all accounts is the best worst movie ever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:22 pm 

pentagrimes wrote:

If it matters, my own personal taste in horror tends towards the 70s/80s type "video nasty" stuff, but I'm always interested in modern stuff too.

I was really into that stuff as well. There was a second hand video shop round Belfast (that actualy kept moving around) where the guy could get you all these banned video nasties if you rang him a few days in advance. Of course, now we've got the interent, theres no need for a service like that, but at the time it was brillant.

And although it may not be as horrorfic, im a huge John Carpenter fan. Love Halloween (dispite what the franchise became), They Live, The Fog, The Thing etc.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:25 pm 

I've decided to do myself a Cronenberg season in the coming weeks having recently re-watched Videodrome after many years. Being the fucking nerd that I am, the inspiration for this is the relationship between corporal body and mind that runs through the majority of his films.

Long live the new flesh!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:20 pm 

Anybody got any tips for films like the Blair Witch Project....I've always had a thing about....forests....witches....really creep me out!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:35 pm 

Something from the world of Troma is always good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 pm 

Cool thread. I haven't seen a cool horror movie in a long long time. I'm a devout friday the 13th fan, love everything about em! I love john carpenters work, the effects and his DIY soundtracks. I love cronenbergs complete fuckedupness. I love wes cravens work ala last house on the left,people under the stairs, night breed . I can take or leave the nightmare films though 3&4 are my favs!!
And troma?? Ain't heard them in a long time!!! The toxic avenger and sgt kabuki nypd!! Funny as fuck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50 pm 

As far as the Nightmare On Elm St series goes, I stick by the Nancy trilogy, No's 1, 3 and 7(New Nightmare) - ie. the only ones Wes Craven had a thing to do with. The rest can fuck right off - goes double for the reboot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:35 pm 

Rob Zombies Lords of Salem isnt bad..Its a lot like Rosemary's baby..

I have seen Troll hunter recently and its damn good for a monster movie..well shot & and the storyline is funny..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:15 am 

pentagrimes wrote:
Here Comes The Devil: I’m lining up a couple more of Adrian Garcia Bolgiano’s previous films (Penumbra and Cold Sweat) to watch in the near future based on how much I enjoyed this. Basically the story of a young couple whose kids go missing overnight while on a weekend away, but are found the next day – only something isn’t right with them. A decent enough modern horror story but there’s a very cool 70’s element to the way it’s put together that I really enjoyed – that combination of sleaze, the supernatural and some amazing scenery. Not perfect but I’d happily recommend this to any horror fan, casual or obsessive, who hasn’t seen it yet. Cool ending too.

Loved Penumbra, I'll have to check out HCTD.

There hasn't been a lot of recent horror that's really grabbed me. I was disappointed by The Conjuring and really hated the Carrie remake. Probably my favourites from the past year or so have been You're Next, American Mary, The Battery and Maniac, also looking forward to Wolf Creek 2 coming out soon.

If anyone's after some recommendations, here are a few (relatively) unknown ones I've enjoyed

Angst
Possession
Session 9
House
The Vanishing (original dutch version)
Dagon
The Stuff (culty-comedy horror)
The Loved Ones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 pm 

Quote:
Wolf Creek 2 coming out soon

Sweet! Wasn't even aware a sequel was being made.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:55 pm 

I loved Penumbra. More of a thriller than anything but excellent stuff I thought. "Cold Sweat" tonight I think.

I saw a movie called "Found" last night which I thought was excellent. The premise is a young boy discovers his brother is a serial killer -the first half is more like a coming of age drama or something,as you learn about the kid, his family, and his failure to cope with some of the pressure of adolescence - but there's a turning point around the middle and from thereon things start to gradually spiral out of hand. The last shot of the film before the credits is mindblowing. Definitely one for the more patient among you, and the gory bits are sparse but I thought it was a very powerful film overall. Very atypical.

"Hidden in the Woods" - load of shit. Every possible exploitation cliche crammed into the one film, gave up about two thirds of the way through when they randomly introduced cannibalism.

"Thanatomorphose" - ahh..fuck just read this, I can't summarise it here again http://destroyedhuman.com/post/80056795 ... -p-h-o-s-e

"Nurse" - bit of fun. Tongue in cheek slasher flick/nowadays horror movie that tells the tale of a nurse who kills adulterous men, and gets a bit bunny boiler over one of her fellow nurses. Clever riff on the femme fatale idea with the expected twist thrown in, and an amazing/hilarious showdown in a hospital towards the end. Not essential but a bit of a larf.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next