Back
  The Horror Movie thread

Page: Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 am 

pentagrimes wrote:
I watched The Eyes of My Mother which is..well not sure "realistic" but certainly grim and weirdly matter of fact about it.

Watched this on the way up to Dublin today and just finished it now in the way back.. grim is the word alright... jesus D:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:45 am 

Got around to Evolution (2015) recently. Highly stylised slow burner. May be somewhat of a disservice calling it a 'horror', in some ways, despite the Lovecraftian vibe.

Worth the watch if your films don't need neatly tied bows at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:50 am 

Watched 'Berberian Sound Studio' at the weekend. Definitely recommended if you enjoy the likes of Amer, Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears, etc. Toby Jones is great in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:04 am 

I think it's a far better film than either of those, which are very much style over substance to put it kindly. Yep, Toby Jones is fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:16 pm 

Watched a few recently -

A Dark Song - Had promise and was enjoying it as thinegs built up but the end was an anticlimax.

Deep Rising - Still as trashy and action packed as I remember.

The Legend Of Hell House - The 1973 version, started it last night and definetely one of it's time, Hammer feel and looks like it was shot in late wet Autumn like most British 70s flicks. Will see how it holds up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 am 

R.I.P. George :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALohye2C-w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:20 am 

Hobo With A Shotgun :lol: - Bloody Hilarious and Great Craic.

Rubber is another one, the concept alone is just off the wall. A tire that stalks and kills - Fucking Mental :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 am 

Slaughterday wrote:
Watched 'Berberian Sound Studio' at the weekend. Definitely recommended if you enjoy the likes of Amer, Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears, etc. Toby Jones is great in it.

That was awful, only kept watching incase something interesting actually happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:27 am 

franksidebottom wrote:
Hobo With A Shotgun

https://youtu.be/ssHEAOrAdCU

Not really a horror film...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 pm 

- Get Out: Not sure this 100% qualifies as Horror, but enough psychological dread and a slight supernatural twist probably makes it a safe recommendation. Really enjoyed it. Suspension disbelief probably helps in a couple of places, but I was absorbed throughout and also thought it had the most interesting social subtext (pretty un-subtle, admittedly) I had found on a "scary" film since the original Living Dead trilogy. Unfortunately there was no way to watch it in a theatre in my area other than dubbed into Spanish, which I still find a bit of a turnoff. Look forward to rewatching it the proper way eventually; as I suspect dialogue subtleties play quite a role on this one.

Some home watches:

- The White Coffin / Necrophobia: Argentina seems to be producing a bit of horror, but I have yet to see one that impresses me, and these two are no exception. They seem to be uncomfortable to watch and not in a good way, and both films were also marred by conclusions that felt haphazard and over the top. There is another Argentinian on Netflix called Hypersomnia which I have been reluctant to watch for fear of the same issues.

- The Dark Song: Absolutely loved this! Cheers to whoever recommended it here. Not a lot happens in the physical realm of the story, but the characters and the whole situation totally drive it. The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh is perhaps a comparable example of a single-location film driving you to use your imagination with incredibly creepy results. Both are a very welcome triumph of tone over trickery, and totally recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:33 am 

Tombs of the Blind Dead - class, loved the bits when the Templars were on horseback in slow motion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:21 pm 

*The Dead* wrote:
Baskin was very enjoyable, it reminded me of the Hellraiser movies. Some of the scenes were pretty over the top and it fell a bit short of being a great movie but, I'd def recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

I enjoyed it, but wouldn't be in a massive rush to re-watch. As an exercise in aesthetics it was fantastic, especially considering how limited the budget probably was. The more fantasy/mind/chronology element also hinted at a higher concept that was cool, but which I found hard to savor due to how little time we are given to get to know the main characters. Great to see young filmmakers who at least try to do something a bit different though, and as an indie body horror flick I thought it was mission accomplished. Two moments in particular made it hard for me to keep facing the screen, which is rare these days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:14 pm 

Tobe Hooper passed away over the weekend :(

Love the two TCSM movies he did. Didn't realize he directed the Salem's Lot mini-series, been meaning to check it out and think this will give me the kick up the hole to

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:18 pm 

Watched one called Unmasked Part 25 last night, really great. It's from 1989 and about this masked killer called Jason... sorry, Jackson... who has grown disillusioned with having to kill everyone he meets. He's about to kill this blind woman when she starts talking to him, thinking he's her blind date and they fall in love making him question his life even further.

Very clever and meta a good 7 years before Scream came along and still delivers plenty of gore and killings. Surprised it's not discussed more often.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 pm 

Anyone seen 'it' yet? Goin to see it during the week so please no spoilers.

Page: Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next