Back
  The Horror Movie thread
    
Page: Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next



Joined:
Oct 2012
Posts:
415
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 pm 

mattpikesteeth wrote:
Anybody seen The Ritual? It's about a group of english fellas that go on a hiking trip in Norway and get lost in the woods. It's got a very effective first half, full of creeping dread and a feel of Blair Witch Project to it. It kind of loses it's way in the last 20 minutes or so but well worth a watch.


yeah i only watched it the last night. pretty much same taughts as yourself. the book was much better


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Mar 2007
Posts:
1347
Location:
Corcaigh, Eire.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:29 pm 

Just saw IT (2017). Not at all bad - though not as excellent as the reviews were making it out to be, and certainly not as scary as the source material. Also, the leap from the 50's to the 80's was a tad jarring, but that's just the Stranger Things effect, I guess.

Still though, it had a lot of good stuff, jumpscares notwithstanding. More of the element of fear and the neglect of the Derry adults that was more in keeping with the book (the adults were basically helping out the entity (IT) who was feeding on Derry every 27 years) , and only part of the 'clowning about'.

Will be looking forward to the second half, where the Losers Club reconnect 20+ years later.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
7424
Location:
Brizzbinn
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:14 am 

is the Descent any good? I heard it mentioned in a review of Bone Tomahawk which got me interested...


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Oct 2012
Posts:
415
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:04 pm 

DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
is the Descent any good? I heard it mentioned in a review of Bone Tomahawk which got me interested...


yeah the descent is bloody class. the second one is pretty good as well. if you can watch the 2 of them back to back.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2006
Posts:
654
Location:
Galway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:36 pm 

The Descent's great, the sequel's pretty average. One of the leads is a Galway girl too, bonus.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2005
Posts:
9161
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 am 

blessed1 wrote:
mattpikesteeth wrote:
Anybody seen The Ritual? It's about a group of english fellas that go on a hiking trip in Norway and get lost in the woods. It's got a very effective first half, full of creeping dread and a feel of Blair Witch Project to it. It kind of loses it's way in the last 20 minutes or so but well worth a watch.


yeah i only watched it the last night. pretty much same taughts as yourself. the book was much better


Thirded. They build it nicely then spoil it with the absolutely preposterous second half. Hated the ending but overall it was an enjoyable little film, if not one I need to watch again ever.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2005
Posts:
1583
Location:
castlebar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:09 pm 

blessed1 wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
is the Descent any good? I heard it mentioned in a review of Bone Tomahawk which got me interested...


yeah the descent is bloody class. the second one is pretty good as well. if you can watch the 2 of them back to back.


The descent is a fecking brilliant horror movie. First half is so claustrophobic. The sequel I found boring enough.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2011
Posts:
301
Location:
BELFAST
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:15 am 

Checked out the first American Guinea pig movie. Jebus wept very brutal to watch. One for the gore hounds out there!


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2005
Posts:
9161
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am 

Have you seen the Japanese ones?


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2011
Posts:
301
Location:
BELFAST
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm 

No never seen them anywhere. I'm guessing the American guinea pig series has picked up where they left off.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2005
Posts:
9161
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 am 

Sooooo. That Suspiria trailer then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGIEY7tdg8

Also the rest of the MI Horror Massive are all anxiously awaiting Hereditary next week too yes?


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2015
Posts:
1114
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am 

pentagrimes wrote:
Sooooo. That Suspiria trailer then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGIEY7tdg8

Also the rest of the MI Horror Massive are all anxiously awaiting Hereditary next week too yes?


I can honestly say I never liked or got the love of Suspiria. Will check out this new version out of interest.
I heard Tom Yorke (Radiohead) is doing the score for it ?


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2005
Posts:
9161
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:43 am 

Yep, score by Tom Yorke, and if that little snippet is anything to go by I'll be picking up the soundtrack if it gets a release.

The marked difference in style between that and the Goblin s/t adds to the fact that this is clearly going to be it's own film. I have to say I'm far more interested in seeing this after that trailer. Seems like the director is not particularly interested in paying homage to the original and the tone of it seems to be far grittier visually. I'm relieved they didn't go for the Argento style multicolour lighting.


Top
 Profile   
 



Joined:
Jun 2015
Posts:
1114
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 am 

pentagrimes wrote:
The marked difference in style between that and the Goblin s/t adds to the fact that this is clearly going to be it's own film. I have to say I'm far more interested in seeing this after that trailer. Seems like the director is not particularly interested in paying homage to the original and the tone of it seems to be far grittier visually. I'm relieved they didn't go for the Argento style multicolour lighting.


Well seeing as its got a cult like following.. I would guess he just felt like whats the point as people will pick at everything / comparing to the original etc
The trailer does have the gritty look where I had to check to make sure I was not looking at an older movie. I do like that.. rather than the super HD 60FPS you see today etc
I would agree with regard the lighting, would have stuck out like a sore thumb today.


Top
 Profile   
 


User avatar

Joined:
Aug 2005
Posts:
9161
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am 

Also realised this morning that Gaspar Noe's new one "Climax" which I think is being released around the same time is also set in a dance company where horrible shit happens. Hmmm.


Top
 Profile   
 

Page: Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next