Back
  The Horror Movie thread

Page: Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:46 am 

saw hereditary tonight. very good horror and has some really creepy bits in in. ill be thinking about this one for a while yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 am 

Really liked the first 70 minutes or so but it went downhill quite quickly after that for me and the last section was Blumhouse level nonsense. Any "twist" is also far more predictable than people are making out.

It's more hype unfortunately, and basically most modern horror is so formulaic and poor that we're easily pleased when something shows even a slight bit of imagination or depth. Much like "Mother" structure wise - slow build up, batshit ending - this is a pattern we're going to see more films adopt and seems to automatically result in critics talking about films using this trick as being "intelligent" horror films. This isn't an "intelligent" horror film,it's a family drama with a schlocky and ridiculous pulp ending, let's be honest. The bar for this kind of film is incredibly low at this point unfortunately.

Having said that, it's not the worst and I'd watch it again just for Collette and Wolff's excellent performances. The dinner scene and Collette's grief counselling/first chat with Joanie about sleepwalking are excellent in particular.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:52 pm 

pentagrimes wrote:
Really liked the first 70 minutes or so but it went downhill quite quickly after that for me and the last section was Blumhouse level nonsense. Any "twist" is also far more predictable than people are making out.

It's more hype unfortunately, and basically most modern horror is so formulaic and poor that we're easily pleased when something shows even a slight bit of imagination or depth. Much like "Mother" structure wise - slow build up, batshit ending - this is a pattern we're going to see more films adopt and seems to automatically result in critics talking about films using this trick as being "intelligent" horror films. This isn't an "intelligent" horror film,it's a family drama with a schlocky and ridiculous pulp ending, let's be honest. The bar for this kind of film is incredibly low at this point unfortunately.

Having said that, it's not the worst and I'd watch it again just for Collette and Wolff's excellent performances. The dinner scene and Collette's grief counselling/first chat with Joanie about sleepwalking are excellent in particular.

i definitely dont think its an intelligent film by any means but good entertainment.
also i dont get why the little girl was possessed and not the son?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 pm 

Rewatched it again last night, have to say that the sound track was pretty cool, nice layer to it all. Totally missed out on that watching the rip.

Sadly, it doesn't really improve overall on a second watch, there's a significant lack of depth for me. Still very decent but putting it to bed now as a good film that I probably wouldn't seek out again.

Watched Cannibal Holocaust straight after, still a fascinating film. I couldn't even imagine how it would get made in current times. Still holds up in all its wierd and gory splendor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 am 

Quite enjoyed Hereditary right up until that final scene, whatever the fuck that was about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 pm 

mickO))) wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
I only watched the original Suspiria last week for the very first time (got the DBL dvd in a trade) and it's not bad, would have to say though the best thing about it is the Goblin soundtrack!

The trailer for the remake actually looks pretty decent, will be keen to see it. Most remakes are shite so it's bucking trend which can only be a good thing!

For me Suspiria is the best horror film ever made. I can't believe Argento gave the go ahead for a remake :roll: . What's next a remake of Alucarda?

I agree it is an amazing film, but with Argento it's all substance. The acting in particular can be a tad tedious in places. I love most of his movies! Remember the film Baskin? thought there was a lot of influence from Suspiria there. If it's something the world doesn't need it's another classic horror remake :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:35 am 

Just watched The Haunting (60's version) again for the first time in ages. Love that movie. Maintains a really claustrophobic atmosphere the whole way through.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:34 am 

Dark Stranger wrote:
Quite enjoyed Hereditary right up until that final scene, whatever the fuck that was about.

Yep..I had to google the plot just to find out what I watched...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 pm 

I really liked Hereditary but yeah the last 10mins was a bit chaotic

Thought the music in it was great too, definitely unnerving

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:13 pm 

RED1 wrote:
mickO))) wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:
I only watched the original Suspiria last week for the very first time (got the DBL dvd in a trade) and it's not bad, would have to say though the best thing about it is the Goblin soundtrack!

The trailer for the remake actually looks pretty decent, will be keen to see it. Most remakes are shite so it's bucking trend which can only be a good thing!

For me Suspiria is the best horror film ever made. I can't believe Argento gave the go ahead for a remake :roll: . What's next a remake of Alucarda?

I agree it is an amazing film, but with Argento it's all substance. The acting in particular can be a tad tedious in places. I love most of his movies! Remember the film Baskin? thought there was a lot of influence from Suspiria there. If it's something the world doesn't need it's another classic horror remake :lol:

I loved Baskin, still do. That baba character is fantastic. (Think thas the characters name anyways)

Check out "Housewife", same director as Baskin. Completely different feel, but equally as difficult a watch. The ending is pretty gruesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm 

Anyone try Shudder yet? Have been hearing very mixed reviews...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:18 pm 

RED1 wrote:
mickO))) wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:

The acting in Fulci and Argento films never bothered me. I also think Inferno comes a close second to Suspiria, another great film. But the three mothers the third part that came out about 10 years ago wasn't great. Cat o' nine tails is another great Argento film.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:10 pm 

Saw Hereditary today.

I just don't think Paranormal type horror films as for me, I thought it was really good when focusing on the family tragedy aspect but when it went full paranormal movie it lost me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 pm 

*The Dead* wrote:
RED1 wrote:
mickO))) wrote:
DOOMSCHMOKER wrote:

I loved Baskin, still do. That baba character is fantastic. (Think thas the characters name anyways)

Check out "Housewife", same director as Baskin. Completely different feel, but equally as difficult a watch. The ending is pretty gruesome.

I'll certainly check that out. Cheers man!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:03 pm 

The Night Eats the World - enjoyed this. Not your usual zombie the movie.

Page: Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37