Back
  Video Games - retro version thread 8 bit, 16 bit fuck yeah!

Page: Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:38 pm 

I'd be very wary of how much input lag you'll get - lag between the phone and the controller, then between the phone and the screen.

I played a bit of SNES9x on my phone with a controller and found the lag was so bad, I preferred using the onscreen controls. This was a right shitter as I was using an Xperia Z3 Compact and a Dualshock 4... One of the bits of marketing Sony had for the phone was (supposedly) how well the latter worked with the former.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:00 pm 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
I'd be very wary of how much input lag you'll get - lag between the phone and the controller, then between the phone and the screen.

I was a bit afraid of that alright. The lag when casting though isn't bad, I played Pokemon red over the cast using my phone as a controller and the myboy emulator. Currently starting into FFVIII again and where the phone is fine, if I had a controller it would be a bit more satisfying to play. Also have iso's for resident evil 3 and tomb raider 2 and the thoughts of dealing with those tank controls on the touch pad is giving me heart failure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 pm 

ochoill wrote:
Pinhead wrote:
Using a controller to play games on your phone... Why?...

I said why above - I'm going to cast the phone screen to my Tv and use it that way. I don't enjoy using my phone screen and would prefer to play emulators off my Tv.

Do ye not have a laptop or PC , I can't imagine playing games from the phone is ideal, getting calls and what not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:07 pm 

Pinhead wrote:
ochoill wrote:
Pinhead wrote:
Using a controller to play games on your phone... Why?...

I said why above - I'm going to cast the phone screen to my Tv and use it that way. I don't enjoy using my phone screen and would prefer to play emulators off my Tv.

Do ye not have a laptop or PC , I can't imagine playing games from the phone is ideal, getting calls and what not.

I have a PC but leave it set up in the spare room for recording, don't want to connect it to the sitting room telly at the moment. Nobody calls me too often :lol:
I picked up a reasonably cheap controller off Amazon to try it out anyway. Also got hdmi to micro USB cable in town so I can connect it to the TV from that and avoid any lag from casting, should it become an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 am 

ochoill wrote:
DuckyDoodleFace wrote:

I was a bit afraid of that alright. The lag when casting though isn't bad, I played Pokemon red over the cast using my phone as a controller and the myboy emulator. Currently starting into FFVIII again and where the phone is fine, if I had a controller it would be a bit more satisfying to play. Also have iso's for resident evil 3 and tomb raider 2 and the thoughts of dealing with those tank controls on the touch pad is giving me heart failure.

Hooo yeah, tried playing the original Resi Evil on a PS1 recently and sure enough the controls made me want to defenestrate the thing.

If you lasted more than five minutes on that with a touchscreen you are officially a saint :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 am 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
Hooo yeah, tried playing the original Resi Evil on a PS1 recently and sure enough the controls made me want to defenestrate the thing.

If you lasted more than five minutes on that with a touchscreen you are officially a saint :lol:

Didn't even try RE3 after how badly the go of TR2 went, an actual nightmare. I find the touchscreen is fine for older gen consoles but PS1 games are more suited to a controller, since they make use of the shoulder buttons quite a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 pm 

Aye I can play away at quite a few SNES games on the phone (as you note, the shoulder buttons are the killer - can't hop in Mario Kart so have to stick to 50cc) but wouldn't venture to the PS1 at all.

Post back on how your adventures with the phone to TV go, I'm getting a new phone this week and tempted to repurpose this old one as a mini emulator if it works well with the TV!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 am 

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:
Aye I can play away at quite a few SNES games on the phone (as you note, the shoulder buttons are the killer - can't hop in Mario Kart so have to stick to 50cc) but wouldn't venture to the PS1 at all.

Post back on how your adventures with the phone to TV go, I'm getting a new phone this week and tempted to repurpose this old one as a mini emulator if it works well with the TV!

Will do! Just got the controller yesterday. Works well on the phone with no noticeable lag yet but but didn't get to try it out on the TV and only played for a few minutes to make sure it works. I'll have an hour or two this evening to mess about with it, I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:28 am 

Secret Of Mana is getting a remake on PC (and other platforms I guess). Not sure how to feel about this - one one hand it'll introduce a lot of people to the Mana games which is good, on the other hand - the 3D does not suit the game at all, and they've voiced the main protagonist in an annoyingly bland way.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... pc-remake/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:27 pm 

ThePiHut now doing wireless controllers that work with RetroPie for £14 (£18 to ROI incl shipping). Expecting them to be pretty flimsy but the wired ones just weren't an option for me given the cable is only 3-4ft long.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:41 pm 

I found the wired controllers from the Pi Hut to be surprisingly solid but the cables were long enough for me.
I haven't tried myself but I've seen videos of people setting up xbox360 controllers, could possibly be a better option?
I couldn't imagine using the analogue sticks on a snes game though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 pm 

mostly_unknown wrote:
I found the wired controllers from the Pi Hut to be surprisingly solid but the cables were long enough for me.
I haven't tried myself but I've seen videos of people setting up xbox360 controllers, could possibly be a better option?

Plus the 360 d-pad is pool for 2D games

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:33 pm 

mostly_unknown wrote:

Heard about the 360 controller option alright. Traded all mine in when I got the XboxOne so I'd have to buy one plus the wireless dongle so would end up costing more second-hand than the new PiHut controller. Might be rubbish but at £18, I'm willing to chance it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am 

Handheld Game Consoles XinXu 4.3 inch TFT Screen Retro Games Console with Camera Video Music Ebook Function Portable Rechargeable Video Game Handheld with 653 Games Christmas Birthday Gifts For Friends Kids Children Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072ZP9HMY/ ... Zzb47R2N6A

I recently bought this wee gem. It has over 600 games. They play really well too!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm 

Nail_Bombed wrote:
Secret Of Mana is getting a remake on PC (and other platforms I guess). Not sure how to feel about this - one one hand it'll introduce a lot of people to the Mana games which is good, on the other hand - the 3D does not suit the game at all, and they've voiced the main protagonist in an annoyingly bland way.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... pc-remake/

Think I saw this earlier and to be hoenst, i loved SOM and thought it was a shame SOM 2 never made it properly, but i think this is a bad idea. IT doesnt suit the 3d and the voice destroys it.

On a side note, this was orginally going to be for the never appeared SNES CD drive and was going to be massive. I wonder what was cut and if anything of it exists (or was it just on design boards)

Page: Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next