Back
  Video Games - retro version thread 8 bit, 16 bit fuck yeah!

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:17 pm 

I love video games, ever since I was a nipper. And while the games nowadays are oh so pretty looking, most of them lack the good fashioned, pick up the controller and jump into game play right away.

(for example, i picked up Metal Gear Solid for the 3DS and I loved Metal Gear for the 8 bit NES and even enjoyed the PSone game. But MGS for the 3DS was absoulte dog shit. 15 minute cut scenes, followed by 2 minute of game play then another 10 minute cutscen, fuck that. And saving the game grrrr)

Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3. Thats where the shits at. And Super MArio World. I still maintain the SNES, pound for pound is the greatest console of all time. Zelda, Castlevania, Probotector, Shadownrun, Starfox...

Anyway, i know theres already a video game thread, but i thought i'd do one specifically for us old school boys.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:25 pm 

Side scrolling beat 'em ups like Double Dragon, Streets Of Rage etc. will always be amazing

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:32 pm 

I have a nice megadrive + accessories + superduper totally awesome goldplated extra rubber coating scart cable off ebay. Much more fun than emulators.

With a good cable the 16bit still holds up- and the games are so fast and overdone with intense colours....perfect.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:39 pm 

it's a toss up between snes and ps2 for best console of all time. snes graphics often still surprise me with how good they were.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:52 pm 

Ive started a portfolio on my laptop of walkthroughs & roms of every game I can find for all the old consoles, but it's most fun to buy them off the www, the feel of the cartridges, the cool boxart, the smell of the 80s and 90s. Fantastic stuff, and sure you can get shipments or individual games for a low price, and the everdrive yoke is great too. Probably waffling offtopic a bit now.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:13 pm 

Motörbastard wrote:
Side scrolling beat 'em ups like Double Dragon, Streets Of Rage etc. will always be amazing

this

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 pm 

Super Castlevania 4 - damn what a game. From the soundtrack, which was nothing like what came before, being more atmospheric, to the design of the castle and the sweet mode 7 areas - magnificent.

And Super Ghouls And Ghosts - if you thought GnG was hard, this pushed it up to eleven. Never ONCE managed to finish it till emulation. Even then you had to do the whole game twice over.

As an aside, I find it slightly sad that as consoles rose and rose, the idea of the arcade fell into obscurity. I remember the days when there were pinball machines alongside games like Bubble Bobble and Aliens Vs. Predator (now that was an excellent side-scrolling beatemup - Capcom do the best ones IMO). The experience of an arcade on high buzz was something not to be missed. That's now been replaced by online gaming - which of course is it's own thing, but can't compare to a packed arcade.

Last edited by Nail_Bombed on Sun May 18, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:39 pm 

One of my all time favourite games (and still play through it every year was Cybernator on the SNES. Back from Konami's 16-bit glory days, still a deadly game today.

To go slightly off topic, I thought Vanquish on the PS3/360 felt like a modern version of those old school Konami shooters, fucking deadly.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:04 pm 

I will still say Elite on the Amstrad 6128+ is the greatest game I ever played. Sat up till 2am every night playing that as a teenager, and it was just vector graphics!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:52 pm 

just playing Ghosts n Goblins today, christ old games are hard as fuck compared to games of today!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:00 pm 

Pinhead wrote:
just playing Ghosts n Goblins today, christ old games are hard as fuck compared to games of today!

The indie game scene is where the hard-as-fuck games are at these days - AAA titles that engage that type of feeling are few and far between IMO - Dark Souls is probably the best contender.
Spelunky is a great example of a modern-day videogame that could have been produced in the 80s/90s with respect to difficulty - also La Mulana. You should check them out.
Nearly forgot - Risk Of Rain. Just get it, it's great.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:02 pm 

Ghost n Goblins/(Super)Ghost n Ghouls really did seperate the men from the boys. Tough as nails and having to go through it twice. Although on the snes Super GnG there was a code which could take you to the last level. On the upside, it did have a kick ass ending sequence with a great tune.
Surprised they never released a DS/3DS version of it.

And I have to say SNES RPGS were the dog bollocks, almost a shame alot of them never made it to Europe. Final Fantasy 4-6, Chronotrigger and Secret of Mana were some absoulty amazing gems with only the latter made it to our shores at the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:07 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:
Secret of Mana

..... was fucking awesome. There were a few of them as I recall - also Secret Of Evermore. Very good series. There was a 3rd made, but never made it over here - Japan were notorious for not exporting many great JRPGs. Luckily you can find a fan translation of Seiken Densetsu III (Secret Of Mana III) somewhere on the net... and it's possibly the best out of the three. All you need is the rom, the translation and SNES9x emu.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:08 pm 

Playing Ghosts n Goblins on Capcom Classics collection on PS2, both volumns are well worth owning!
Strider is another game i can't see myself completing in this lifetime.

Not really into that many indie games, but Limbo is cool.

site i stumbled upon earlier which may be of interest http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:21 pm 

Dark Stranger wrote:
I will still say Elite on the Amstrad 6128+ is the greatest game I ever played. Sat up till 2am every night playing that as a teenager, and it was just vector graphics!

Lost many a summer's eve playing that on the amiga...the sense of genuine adventure was amazing for a graphically simple game

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next