Back
  Video Games - retro version thread 8 bit, 16 bit fuck yeah!

Page: Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 am 

My first machine was the Commodore 64. What a computer, there were so many great games on it. To barely scratch the surface:
The Last Ninja 1 & 2, Myth: History In The Making, Monty On The Run, C.R.E.A.T.U.R.E.S., Ghostbusters (simple but fun), Midnight Resistance, Vendetta, Buggy Boy, Chase HQ, Robocop (Bastard Hard), Retrograde, All The Main Dizzy Series, Turrican 1 & 2, Rodland, Bubble Bobble, Zork 1-3, All Infocom Games, (and one for childish giggles), How To Be A Complete Bastard), and many more.

The Commodore Amiga: Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, MicroProse Formula 1 Grand Prix, Lemmings, Monkey Island 1 & 2, Skidmarks, Super Cars, Syndicate and Alien Breed.

The next I had was a Sega Mega Drive. Some of my favourites on that were Mortal Kombat, Streets Of Rage 1-3, Final Fight, Golden Axe, Desert Strike, Another World and FLashback (which I played again lately. There was a remake in 2013), Lotus Turbo Challenge and Final Fight.

The S.N.E.S.: So many greats on this machine too. I loved Mario All Stars, Mario World, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Contra III: The Alien Wars,
and F-Zero.

Some of my favourite Graphic Adventure games are, Space Quest Series. Leisure Suit Larry Series, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Maniac Mansion, Day Of The Tentacle, The Dig, Full Throttle, Loom, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 am 

Ah, day of the tentacle. that was a great game. I went through a point and click phase during the late 90s. Absoulty loved those games which I s weird as now I'm kinda sick of story over gamesplay now.

Anyone play Simon the Sorseccer 1 and 2? really funny games, with Chris 'Rimmer' Barrie doing the voice in the first one.

And maybe not quite as retro but is there ant Text adventure/interactive fiction fans? Got a real hit of it and few years ago (manily cause you could play it in work and make it look like your working). Some great games out there like Babel (highly recommended) and Zombies!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:05 pm 

If you like Text Adventures, there's many greats here: https://www.infocom-if.org/games/games.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 pm 

Was a big fan of one on the BBC Micro called Twin Kingdom Valley that had images. (yeah I know but its still a text adventure)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:23 pm 

Part if the bridge between Text and Graphic Adventures. Early Graphic Adventures such as Space Quest you had to type in the commands.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:56 pm 

This is the page here where I got a few Text adventures
http://www.whitestick.co.uk/text.html

Babel, zombie and the alien abduction ones are well recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:15 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:
This is the page here where I got a few Text adventures
http://www.whitestick.co.uk/text.html

Babel, zombie and the alien abduction ones are well recommended.

Sounds good. Have they a good ranger of vocabulary and intuitive?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:07 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:
Ah, day of the tentacle. that was a great game. I went through a point and click phase during the late 90s. Absoulty loved those games which I s weird as now I'm kinda sick of story over gamesplay now.

Anyone play Simon the Sorseccer 1 and 2? really funny games, with Chris 'Rimmer' Barrie doing the voice in the first one.

And maybe not quite as retro but is there ant Text adventure/interactive fiction fans? Got a real hit of it and few years ago (manily cause you could play it in work and make it look like your working). Some great games out there like Babel (highly recommended) and Zombies!

I highly recommend 'A Mind Forever Voyaging'. You can emulate it on Amiga, Apple Macintosh and DOS emulators.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:34 pm 

Agreed. Then again I love all of Infocom games, they are of a high standard, great writing and story, greatly together, everything. They were a top notch company.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:41 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:50 pm 

I was looking into getting a NES Classic Mini but due to the lack of stock I started looking elsewhere and realised I could just get a Raspberry Pi and use Retropie to get pretty much all of the gaming systems up to the original Playstation in one handy little box.
Bought two USB SNES style controllers and once I sorted out the lag on the TV I've been in retro gaming paradise.
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts is even harder than I remembered, likewise Cobra Triangle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:55 pm 

Ghouls N Ghosts follows the Castlevania trend - awesome music and atmosphere, bastard hard gameplay and wonky/difficult-to-master controls. Pretty sure someone has done a fan-made mash-up of the two somewhere, you'd have to be a masochist to play it though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:43 am 

mostly_unknown wrote:
I was looking into getting a NES Classic Mini but due to the lack of stock I started looking elsewhere and realised I could just get a Raspberry Pi and use Retropie to get pretty much all of the gaming systems up to the original Playstation in one handy little box.
Bought two USB SNES style controllers and once I sorted out the lag on the TV I've been in retro gaming paradise.
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts is even harder than I remembered, likewise Cobra Triangle.

Always wanted to give this a go..now I will..thanks for the reminder!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm 

It's well worth it. I was looking at getting all the bits and pieces separately from RS but in the end I got the whole kit directly from The Pi Hut for €75, delivered it within 2 days as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:15 pm 

mostly_unknown wrote:
It's well worth it. I was looking at getting all the bits and pieces separately from RS but in the end I got the whole kit directly from The Pi Hut for €75, delivered it within 2 days as well.

nice one...I see the console kit is sold out..I'll get the parts seperately :)

Page: Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next