Back
  Snorkelling & scuba diving

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:43 pm 

Anyone here into it?

Just back from holidays where we did a fair amount of snorkelling and caught the diving bug. Wanted to give scuba diving a go but most places (rightfully) wanted a PADI certification before they'd bring you out.

Looking into doing the PADI certified open water diver course in Waterworld near Castlegregory. Most local places seem to offer the CFT courses but not PADI.

So anyhoo, was curious if anyone else here is in a club or had any tips for starters.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 pm 

Went snorkelling for the first time on the Great Barrier Reef last year, absolutely loved it. Didn't think I was gonna be able to do it since I was hungover as fuck and puked my ring up a few times on the boat out to it. Thank fuck they were serving beer on the way back after the snorkelling! Delighted I managed to do it in the end though. I was jealous of the scuba diving folks and decided that I definitely want to give that a go sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:44 pm 

Something similar with us. Was in Florida/Caribbean and literally everywhere we went snorkelling, there was something to see. Did a few helmet diving and snorkelling tours with sea turtles, southern stingray etc and loved it. Came back mad to get into it properly.

Mate pointed me in the way of the crowd in Kerry and you're probably looking at 2 weekends down there and around €450 to get the open water diver cert but at least the PADI ones carry overseas whereas I don't think the CFT ones do. I'm open to correction on that but everywhere I saw that was offering scuba tours would only accept the PADI certs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:01 pm 

Stayed on a boat on the Barrier Reef for a few days doing mostly snorkeling, but they let you do as many 'introductory' dives you wanted. At a cost of course, but well worth it. When we were there the water was crystal clear and the visibility was cracking. They even had prescription goggles for those with impaired vision such as myself. Would definitely do it again, but not sure if I would sink the money into getting a PADI license as I wouldn't get the use out of it.

If you ever do go to the barrier reef, check out a thing called reef teach. 2 hour lecture before you head out, tells you what is dangerous and what isn't etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 pm 

Couldnt advise you more to do scuba diving I did it for a few years with Wexford sub aqua club,didnt get that PADI yoke always found that was a foreign country kinda thing,if your in a club you'll get a logbook like I did and you just fill it in as you do your dives and if you bring that abroad with you you should be fine thats what I did anyway,ive only scuba dived off the south east coast here and off the island of Gozo beside Malta some difference jaysus! clubs are expenside but they take you out on the boat every weekend you just have to sort gear which is also quite expensive! but yeah do it! night dives are the best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:10 am 

Wreck diving is something I would definitely be interested in doing in the future, once I manage to get a decent bank account/free time balance that is

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 am 

Mate was surprised I'd asked him about it given the recent deaths. Hadn't heard about any of them until he mentioned it. Seemed to all be fairly experienced as well which had them all shocked.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:50 pm 

RobMcS wrote:
Didn't think I was gonna be able to do it since I was hungover as fuck and puked my ring up a few times on the boat out to it. Thank fuck they were serving beer on the way back

Most Irish statement ever. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:33 pm 

Dark Stranger wrote:
RobMcS wrote:
Didn't think I was gonna be able to do it since I was hungover as fuck and puked my ring up a few times on the boat out to it. Thank fuck they were serving beer on the way back

Most Irish statement ever. :lol:

Haha, fact!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:51 pm 

Apparently you can also puke THROUGH a regulator...lord knows what happens the chunks but apparently you can force out any liquid that gets in there.

Anyhoo, for what it's worth, www.divegear.ie seems to be the place for picking up equipment online though for suits it's recommended to try them on in a shop first to get the right size.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:02 pm 

Did Scuba in Thailand on Koh Tao. Dirt cheap there about 33% of what it would cost in more developed countries, though it's a wee bit further south than Wexford. You can do wreck diving and all that there.

Great hobby. Snorkelling is great craic too. Fiji is excellent for it. Loads of coral and fewer tourists. Poisonous sea snakes aren't so cool though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:19 am 

thejuice wrote:
Dirt cheap there about 33% of what it would cost in more developed countries

That crowd in Kerry looking for around €450 for the PADI open water diver course. Course is spread over 2 weekends of your choice which doesn't seem too bad.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am 

I have an PADI advanced scuba cert that I got whilst traveling in central and south America about 5 years ago. Not done one single dive since I got back. Shame really as I really enjoyed it at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 pm 

I've been bitten by the snorkeling bug quite bad, and spent quite a few weekends this summer doing it around the area (Balearics). Some mind-blowing sights.

Started off with the traditional mask and snorkel, and decided to give the Easybreath mask a try. Was a bit hesitant at first as they seem to have a bad rep among certain experienced snorklers who apparently consider them hilarious, but I must say it has made the experience a fair bit more enjoyable for me, and at a pretty reasonable 30 Euro. Has anyone else tried them? Any experiences? So far, the only possible disadvantage I've spotted is the increased difficulty for deeper diving due to slightly higher buoyancy (the entire frame is always filled with the air that comes in and out). I can go about 1.5 to 2 metres deep but don't seem to stay there for very long; may just be a matter of working on technique.

Had my first session with fins here last Saturday (photos not mine). Incredible scenery and some pretty cool sights, including a bunch of Mediterranean jellies (Cotylorhiza tuberculata), barracuda and a seagull taking a 3-metre dive to fish right in front of me. Also some small caves, but I was not feeling brave enough - next time :D

I do intend to give diving a try eventually, though it does seem daunting financially, what with the priecey gear etc.